Reading the News

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Rob, the distinguishing factor is that you read the news. The overwhelming majority of Dominicans don't read the news if they are functionally literate enough to read it. They have people on the televisions to read them the selected news. There's a huge difference between reading anewspaper and having a few articles read to you. As per raising money, its just like the Hippie's request for remittances for his people. Da me cinco pesos? He should go live with his good friend Chavez. I can't believe tha the populace is letting this happen to them.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's that literacy issue again

I remember my mom used to read the paper to our maid. My mom didn't understand Spanish, but she could pronounce it, and our maid was better informed.
If the general population can't read, miss a little... miss a lot.
mk

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
What is the matter with you people? Can't we just keep talking about the Blue Moon Restaurant instead? We got to keep this board going. You know? ..... geeeez

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just this weekend...

I have a good female friend that is a doctor here. She is very well educated, comes from a well known family, traveled etc etc.

I was having a coffee with her this weekend and some how Boca Chica and prostitution in general came up in the conversation. By the way, most locals never ever go to Boca Chica, yet have an opinion on Boca Chica that in most case has been formed by the local wanna be tabloid media and gossip.

Back to the conversation...

I told her that the DR was the 4th largest exporter of prostitutes in the world after Thailand, Philippines and Brazil.
As you can imagine, she was a little shocked and argued this is not possible for a country of this size. After 10 mins of debating this, I gave up and told her I will forward the info I find on Google.

Next...

The inevitable politics and economy came up, plus the environment. In the conversation I asked her what she had heard about some of the current mining projects and their environmental impact. This was greeted with a blank expression. Time to inform again. I went on to tell her what is going on and what we have covered in the DR1 news. Once again she was in complete shock and argued that this is not possible and no government would allow this to happen.

To cut a long story short, I emailed her a bunch of articles from DR1 and the prostitution info.

Yesterday she called me in tears and said that she had read what I sent here, plus a bunch of other stuff on DR1. She was in total shock and had forwarded it to many of her friends. Be interesting to see if any of them have the same reaction.

I only wish more locals would read DR1 as I feel we give a unbiased and balanced view of what's going on.

Maybe we should start a counseling service on the side...

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The perspective from a village in the north coast : whenever I have to wait at the Barber's or the bank, plenty of newspapers around, and people only read the sports page ! They will know every details about Pedro Martinez' technique, or who's been signed by which major league club... But no one is interested by regular news...
Most of the "local gringos" are readind DR1 here. No dominican know about it. Dominican youth surf the web, usually hotmail and msn messenger... No news...

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
I'm dominican and I read several newspapers every da

Hi, I've been reading your posting about 2 o 3 weeks ago. I have even visited the gallery of members, and i have seen your pictures. You all are nice people, but you have to know that some dominicans like me, are well informed. I don't work at the goverment, I work in a large company in the DR. I read all the newspapers, the internet news, and forums like this. Not all dominican people are illiterate and unlike the dominican person that someone mentioned , knowing nothing about items such prostitution, bad negotiations of our political leaders and stuff like that, nevertheless like the song my motto is >
I unaware of many things
you know what you know
you kown what i mean

so keep me in the shallow waters before i get too deep

I because of my motto I keep reading the news also in CNN, MSN, The Miami Herald and so....maybe some of you could give some information about stuff, maybe I could share something with some of you....maybe;)

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
There are none so blind as those who won't read !

Robert said:

I only wish more locals would read DR1 as I feel we give a unbiased and balanced view of what's going on.

Maybe we should start a counseling service on the side...

If many locals can't even read Spanish, imagine having them read DR1 where everything is in English !

But the problem is not shortage of info in Spanish. Anybody with true desire to obtain information can easily read all the major papers (Listin, Hoy, El Caribe, Diario Libre) plus watch cable news (CNN en Espa?ol) as well as doing Google searches (available in Spanish as well).

The only requirement is diligence (reading as much as possible) and intelligence (reading BETWEEN the lines).

But I see too much obsticle standing in the way.

It's hard to ask for diligence when domino/cerveza/women are constantly battling for attention.

It's even harder for intelligence when many can't read properly, let alone BETWEEN the lines.

Oh, and the blackouts don't help either !!! :angry:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think many get their news via the radio, although I can't speak for the slant on radio news.

Furthermore, if anyone's ever been near a taxi stand, they'd know that the people are extremely interested in political debates and opinion and are not timid in their expressions of the same.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Strange...

Robert said:
I have a good female friend that is a doctor here. She is very well educated, comes from a well known family, traveled etc etc.

that an educated person is so uninformed of the pressing issues surrounding her. Even "Los Dominicanos Ausentes" are up-to-date with current issues in the DR.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
stop it! if you are not there shut up

while i was in the DR it was hard to get a newspaper after 10:00 Am i was trying to get inform about the situation but newspapers were flying off from shelves i guess due to the current problems people were enjoying reading again i also notice that most people are taking it too easy and most are used to the government abuse but literacy has nothing to do with current problems (NOW STOP THE CRAP).

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
People!! We keep saying the same thing over and over!! Let's try a new slant on things, Huh?
How about printing out the DR1 Daily News in several copies and give it to some of our more astute Dominican friends for distribution? I've done this here in Manzanillo and have had a modicum of success in getting other people to buy a newspaper and read it all the way through.
Dominicans are no different than Americans (both Yanks and Canadians) when it comes to reading the Sports pages before, or, to the exclusion of all else.
We need to TALK about these problems with Dominicans instead of denegrating them on these pages. And I'm just as guilty as the rest in that respect.
I do think that we can make a difference if we truly try.
I defer to the more informed .
Texas Bill

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
a Dominican speaks.......

I am so proud of my Dominican husband, he reads at least two newspaper a day, in English (his English is not the best but he reads the papers everyday. What he doesn't understand he looks up).

My uncle who is in his late 50s reads two English newspapers a day. My dad reads two, my other uncle reads the Dominican newspapers as well as the English ones, and he has done this since I was a little girl. I have another Uncle who used to help his children with their College assignments, although he never went to College himself his explanation was that he was well read. You better believe he is well read this man is one of the smartest individual you will ever meet

So you see the Dominican men in my life are an exception by the standard of this board. Yes there are many people who do not read papers or keep current but please proof to me thatthis only exist in the DR and then I won't be offended.

I have met some of the dumbest people in the good USA. My point is there is dum and smart educated people everywhere.

Sometimes is good to hear from us "natives". We should speak up a little more clear up the misconceptions. (Don't attack me I am not saying that all Dominican are smart, educated and well read, but all can't be stupid, uneducated and Illiterate).

Lina
a Dominicana with smart Dominican relatives, friend, and neighbors

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I checked, out of curiosity, with the newspaper distributor here in Manzanillo and he tells me he has "about" 40 customers whom he provides with various newspapers. That's out of a population of around 8,000 total.
All I ever see anyone reading is the sports page and very few doing that. I looked at the last one a couple of days ago and it was dated 3 weeks past.
So much for reading in Manzanillo.
I had hoped to see a couple of copies of DR1 on the streets, but then remembered that the literacy rate in English was very low to non-existent. I'll try to get it done in Spanish if I can. No promises, tho.
Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill said:
How about printing out the DR1 Daily News in several copies and give it to some of our more astute Dominican friends for distribution? I've done this here in Manzanillo and have had a modicum of success in getting other people to buy a newspaper and read it all the way through.Texas Bill

Now if you can just convince Robert and Dolores to report the sport scores in DR1, you may just have yourself a readership there in Manzanillo! ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As several of the posts in this thread point out so well...,.....

...Dominicans are not able to accept criticism! As has been pointed out many times before here on DR1,they have only 3 responses to criticism:#1,Say it is NOT TRUE!......# 2,say that "Everybody Does IT!",.....and # 3,Try to discredit the source of the criticism!!!

"Hipolito" does it,and as we see here,Linamia,and Erickson do as well!

Nice try,but the only people you have convinced are yourselves,and maybe "Chris"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I "CAN" see the "Forest For The Trees"!!!!

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Colon and company are the final arbiters on all things Dominican.

I--DOMINICAN BORN AND BRED--could run circles around his ilk.

JOSEITO

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Criss Colon said:

Nice try,but the only people you have convinced are yourselves,and maybe "Chris"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I "CAN" see the "Forest For The Trees"!!!!

Heheh! another one that thinks I'm a pushover. Many have tried --- none have succeeded! They find themselves rolling in the mud, and wondering how they got there. Me, I dust off my hands and walk away .... to go and read another newspaper.

mimi

Aug 2, 2003
I agree wiith your statement

Squat said:
The perspective from a village in the north coast : whenever I have to wait at the Barber's or the bank, plenty of newspapers around, and people only read the sports page ! They will know every details about Pedro Martinez' technique, or who's been signed by which major league club... But no one is interested by regular news...
Most of the "local gringos" are readind DR1 here. No dominican know about it. Dominican youth surf the web, usually hotmail and msn messenger... No news...

Your average dominican don't read the news (i'm not talking about the upper class, so don't anyone go jumping on me) when you hear them talking about it is because they've heard it from someone else. Never do I see these people reading a newspaper.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
mimi said:
Your average dominican don't read the news (i'm not talking about the upper class, so don't anyone go jumping on me) when you hear them talking about it is because they've heard it from someone else. Never do I see these people reading a newspaper.

Does average people around the world read newspapers? Is not the same average people buying newspapers that actually reading them!
Average people does like average people are, around the world! Sports, Movies, gossip and stuff like that.
Here in The DR, maybe we have more average people than others countries...we are a poor one!
But is not fair to Judge all dominicans by the way our AVERAGE people behave.
Or it is?!:tired:

Status
Not open for further replies.