Somebody smack me in the head please...

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
...I haven't flown since two months before 9/11 and in a couple of weeks, we're going to the D.R.

I've already started to stress about it.....

Signed,

White Knuckle Flyers Club
President

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a friend coming on 9/11. She says she is going to sit in seat 13. She wants to get all of her superstitions out of the way at the same time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lady here's how I look at it. You can stay in your house in your bed for the rest of your life and then one day a plane lands on your house and you'll die never having gone and enjoyed life.

Go have fun!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look at it this way

Why save it for another time?

When I look around and see how many of my friends and collegues are not here, or are recuperating from heart attacks, the idea of "saving for later" seems to vanish.

You have a better chance of dying in a hospital under a doctor's care than perishing in an airplane.

Now, since i did survive survive an airplane crash, in Santo Domingo, I can offer you this proposal.
You pay for me to go there (wherever "there" is) and I'll fly back with you. The odds on two crashes in one lifetime are astronomical!!! So you are totally covered.....

Don't sweat it. All the security stuff you go through in the airport is totally reassuring.

Life is different now, so don't get caught unawares of the new rules:
Nothing that is sharp or that can cut can go in your carry-on. No sprays, nail files, rat-tail combs, or scissors.
Don't put locks on your bags. Ask the inspectors to put the little nylon ties on them for you-free!

So relax and just imagine the joy of being here and cooling it on the beaches or in the cities with ice-cold Presidentes and attentive, caring folks all around.

HB

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
AMEN HB !

I agree with HB. Enjoy your life. Get on that plane and have a relaxing time in the DR..... Don't worry too much....

Cheers !
"little"

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Oh No!!

["You have a better chance of dying in a hospital under a doctor's care than perishing in an airplane."] Quote from Hillbilly!!

Excuse hijacking this thread, but could not resist it. Hillbilly, your quote is only valid because there are still a number of people out there who report doctors and dentists to the authorities cos' they think that they don't have the relevant papers!!

Leopardlady - take the advice, kick back and enjoy it! OR - take the pills, drink the scotch, kick back and enjoy it!! You'll be OK.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Having recently gone through the same thing as Peter,

-heart attack,emergency tranfer (via helicopter) to a cardiac hospital, angiogram, angioplasty and stent AND having flown numerous times since 9/11- I can truthfully say I'd rather fly than have a heart attack ANY DAY.

Don't sweat the small stuff, do as has been suggested by others in this thread and most of all -
"HAVE A GREAT TIME ONCE YOU GET HERE!"

Dec 9, 2002
Leopardlady you'll be just fine. Flying is still the safest way to travel. Security everywhere is tighter than before 9/11, so you've got less to worry about now than before!

Just try and relax and you'll enjoy it. Have fun!

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
You guys are great !!!!!!!!

.....I just might print this out and keep reading it my silly self on the plane!

Thanks a lot folks !!! :)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I just want to hear about HB's plane crash. I've never met anyone who survived a plane crash...HB please elaborate (when, where, what kind of plane, why...) Just curious...Man is there anything you haven't done or been involved in?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It was interesting, that is for sure-Long post warning

It was in April of 1969. I was studiying Linguistics at the University of Puerto Rico and Judo under a magnificent teacher at the "Y" in San Juan. Takahama was his name.

Anyway, I had returned on Aerov?as Quisqueyanas to defend my titles in the National Championships: Constellation to SDQ and a DC-3 to Santiago (All for 26 pesos!, special rate for UCMM professors).

Went to Santo Domingo, won my championships, got my trophys, and was told that the eldest son of our Matron of Honor had just been killed in a shooting incident in Bonao. We HAD to go see her. Sweaty and beat, not properly dressed, we went to the funeral home and comensurated with the woman-the incident left 9 kids orphaned. At 2:00 a.m. we left for Santiago and my 7 a.m. flight back to San Juan and an important test in the graduate school. We had my monstrous trophies and some lamps that a sister in law had sent from Venezuela in the back seat. All went well until I went into our driveway a little too fast and tipped a troophy onto one of the lamps. No longer a pair.

Two hours of sleep and over to the airport for the DC-3 flight back to SDQ. My buddies the pilots were all in good moods, and the flight was un-eventful.

However, upon landing that DC-3 in a cross-wind, things got way out of hand. First one wheel and then the other touched down, the plane zig-zagging as it did so. About the third or fourth zigzag, we went off the runway to the left, into the coral and bushes. The wheel strut came up thru the engine nacelle, the fire extinguishiers went off and we were on a wild Oklahoma hayride over the rocks. I had grabbed the little old lady next to me, who must have asked God for help a thousand times in five seconds..

The plane ended up between the runway and the taxiway over by the CDA hanger. We got out, nobody was hurt until a silly girl started to run in those rocks and cut her ankle. About five hours later I realized I had a huge bruise on my ribs from the initial crash-bang.

A couple of hours later we left for San Juan.
I missed my test and was able to take it later.

The plane was there for years.

And years later, I did a Bio-rhythm Study on the pilots and found that they were both on "down Cycles" that would have required even more attention than normal. I flew with them many other times.

In fact, one time I came back here in the 747 that CDA used to have and he was the pilot!! Sat up front the whole way into SDQ!

HB