Would it be great if we all become U.S. Citizens???

Happyhare

Jun 26, 2003
As I remember from my tenth grade dominican history class... If I am not wrong... from 1916 to 1924 Dominican Republic was under US Marine ocupation. During that time the pretext given by the US government for the occupation was that Dominican Republic failed to pay a legal contract with a foreign company. The US Marines seized control of the Customes. They started to control the country's trade and imposing tax in order to recover what supposed to be theirs.

The question is... Dominican Republic is trying to budget through bonds... Do we have the potential to pay all the debts?? How possible is another occupation of the United States?? since there were already two interventions. Why is U.S. so interested in this country??

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
1)Cuz the DR is a diamond in the rough, and 2)It's the most strategic point in the Caribbean, that's why!!! Back in the 19th century, one of the presidents tried to annex Samana Bay but the US didn't bite.........

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Actually, Happyhare, I don't think the US is nearly as interested in the DR as it used to be. One evidence of that is the complaints in the DR that they are receiving less trading benefits than many other countries.

During the cold war with Russia, there was a fear that nations of the Caribbean close to the US might become Communist states, so many things were done to discourage or prevent this from happening.

At the time of WWII, the US was concerned because Trujillo seemed to be playing footsie with the Germans. So many things were done to discourage or prevent this from happening. The DR was strategically important because of its proximity to the Panama Canal.

While the DR is clearly making a mess of its financial situation, I don't think there is any chance, at least not at this time, of the US coming to the rescue. The US has its eyes now on other parts of the world.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Happyhare said:
.. The US Marines seized control of the Customes...

...what? if they came again, we would all have to walk around naked?

all the problems in the country now...and there are no serious protests.
if the americans came in again (which they won't), then you would see how fast dominicans can get together to protest.

.... twilight zone?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: Would it be great if we all become U.S. Citizens???

if the americans came in again (which they won't), then you would see how fast dominicans can get together to protest.
[/B]

Yeah. At least they'd be able to afford to then.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I don't think it will be a good idea if everyone becomes an American Citizen, first of all Puerto Ricans will become Jealous and (Campesinos) will miss the adventourous rush that taking a (YOLA) to Puerto Rico give them, no more money for the (YOLA'S) capitanes in Samana, now Dominicans will have to pay real taxes, and our beloved Hipolito will hang himself naked while sitting on his jarabacoa home toilet.

QUE MALO SOY :laugh: