Teaching English in the D.R.

mwebster

Jul 31, 2003
I am a mature individual with a Ph.D. in history (Indiana University-Bloomington) and a Masters in Library Science (IU-Bloomington) who is interested in teaching English in the Dominican Republic. Can any subscribers to this list give me advice on this subject?

My ability in Spanish is what I call a functional conversational level. Although I have used my Spanish infrequently in the last 25 years, individuals that I spoke to in Spain in 2001 found my level of communication to be sufficient.

My preference would be to teach at a colegio or universidad.

Although I have not been trained in teaching EFL, I have a B.A. in English and considerable experience teaching at the university level.

I am open in regard to the location where I would teach.

I am requesting this information in advance of my pending trip to the Dominican Republic in November. I plan to investigate the opportunities while I am there.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Michael Webster

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Michael,
For us to answer intelligently, we need to know a bit more than your college degrees and "maturity" (which I presume in this context is a euphenism for the stage of life you're at). Namely:

Have you been to the DR?

Where do you wish to teach English? Santo Domingo? Puerto Plata? Sosua? Cabarete? Jarabacoa? Barahona? La Romana?

Are you certified to teach EFL?

Do you speak at least some Spanish?

Who do you wish to teach? Children? Adults? Students? Professionals? Hotel/resort workers? Baseball players? Others?

Do you wish to teach privately or with an institution such as the Dominico-Americano in SD (or its branches in Santiago or San Pedro)?

When did you want to teach in the DR? For how long?

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Hi, Michael.

It is not always necessary to have a teaching qualification to teach English in the DR, but my experience is that the resources in most of the language institutes leave an awful lot to be desired. I found the work fairly frustrating for this reason, plus the pay is often notoriously poor, although the students are generally a delight if you are able to adapt your expectations. Of course, it may be different if you are able to obtain employment in a higher education institution.

I have recently made enquiries about a TEFL course advertised on the Classifieds section of DR1 under "Employment". That has proved to be incredibly interesting and the Directors of the organisation are very knowledgeable and keen to further English Language teaching in this country. You may find it worth following up.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, please.

Linda.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Garden Kids School in Sosua is looking for teachers

hi,
recently the teacher of my daughter told me, that they are looking for an experienced person to teach pre-school class and a certified teacher for the first graders.
The school teaches in English and Spanish (different teachers) so maybe there is an opportunity for you.
If you are interested you should contact Principal Ivis Castillo at Garden Kids School, phone 571-2857. You can also check their website at www.garden-kids.org

Good luck!