Just returned from 1st trip to DR

sliverghost

May 22, 2003
I have a trip report to write and indeed I feel I must, due to all the help I received from all of you on the forum.

I also have a question for the veteran posters. Before I write my trip report, Should I keep it brief and simple or would you like a daily account of my trip and the places I went and the things I did and also my experiences with the native Dominicans.

I had a wonderful trip and have you all to thank. Especially, Hillbilly, Johnsr and most of all Bushbaby who was a most gracious host on my golf outings and filling me in on the "skinny" of Puerto Plata.:cool:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Just "Go for it"!! Let your fingers do the talking & give us your best!!!
PLEASE don't tell Hillbilly how well we played down at Playa Grande though & certainly don't mention your birdies or that unbelieveable EAGLE on the 18th - he just won't belive you (come to think of it, I still don't believe it!!!!).

Glad you had fun down here & we look forward to seeing you back shortly! Next time bring a gang with you - the country needs the money & I need the free beers!!! - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You must have played from the Ladies Tees

Sorry I missed out on that outing Sliver, but I am glad you did get to see those places. I think they lived up to their billing.

HB

Oh yes, do write with enourmous details...all the dirt...

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Ghostwriter - How is BushBaby at golf ??? Come on with the report. PS - I only played the 18th once but lost 2 balls and count.

sliverghost

May 22, 2003
Part One, Day One - Put your reading glasses on

My Dominican Republic Trip

Puerto Plata

Day #1-Tuesday, July 22, 2003
Oh my God! I overslept. It is 9:30 am and my plane leaves at 11:15am. Where am I? What day is it? I call AA vacations, only one flight today to Puerto Plata. I cannot change my flight to Santiago. Luckily, I planned ahead and packed my bags early and already in the car. I throw some clothes on and jump in the car. It?s 9:40am and I am 35 minutes from airport. I call to check if my flight is on time, it is! Sh**!! I?m not going to make it. Then I run into a bad rainstorm on I-95. Traffic up the A**. I?m not going to make it. Security checkpoints, long lines, more baggage checks. I arrive at the airport and pull up to the Parking garage checkpoint. I plead my case; she peeks at my luggage in the car and waves me thru. YES!!! I look for a parking space, but how am I going to run to the ticket counter with my golf Clubs and three bags.(even though they all have wheels) Bingo!! Next to the elevator there is a stranded lonely luggage cart and an empty parking space! OH YEAH!! My hearts is pumping and still believe I am not going to make it. I charge my luggage through the terminal and down an elevator over towards the American Airlines international check-in. NO LINES!! YES!! I explain my situation; I get hurriedly waved through and up to the counter. I make it through security check-in. Get the whole strip down search almost and make it to the gate in time to go have a beer and make three phone calls. Talk about clean living. You bet your a** I believe in karma and the LORD ALMIGHTY. After this I owe a few novenas to say the least.

My flight was slightly delayed from taking off due to a seat maintenance problem. Two guys in the aisle bolting down a row of seats. Then we?re off, great fast flight and only landed twenty minutes late. I picked up my bags after buying my tourist card ($10) and got my bags fairly quickly. Again, waved through customs with a smile. Handled my own bags because I grabbed a luggage cart. Politely, turned down the porter in the green shirt and said That?s OK when he reached for my bags. (If you need help accept it and do not let them extort you for a mega tip. It?s not that far to go. $1 a bag is plenty enough and they are happy to get it.)

Ride to my resort was fairly short. Pulled into The Costa Dorado complex and dropped off a couple @ the Iberostar (place was locked down like a fortress) and then I got dropped off @ The Coral Marien. People were friendly and to my liking, no lines at the reception desk. Clean Living! (Two pointers: #1-When taking a shuttle, pay attention to what luggage they unload at other hotels. It could be yours, it happened to me but I caught it in time. Keep sharp!! #2 The Coral Marien has a Hilton Honors check-in @ Guest services across from reception if they are crowed. I didn?t need to use it.) After a quick check-in I gave my room number to the bellboy who was very helpful during my stay. (no names please) I went to my room and realized I did not get a third floor room as requested. When the bellboy arrived, he said the 2nd floor is a better ocean view because the trees do not block it. He was absolutely correct. I realized I forgot about the safe key, after tipping the bellboy I headed to the reception. With my AA Vacations package, my safe was included, most people are charged. After a discussion about the safe I was explained the safe is free but there is a charge for the key. I laughed and whipped out my documents, and said free is free. A safe without a key is useless. After speaking to his superior, I was on my way to unpack with my key to my free safe.

After unpacking and walking the grounds to check the whole place out I headed to the nearest bar. I tried a Mai Tai in my huge mug. The drink lasted for hours. It holds 24oz and I asked for mucho rum. A small gratuity at an All Inclusive goes a long way. The staffs were setting the pool area up for a BBQ Poolside dinner and show which got rained out due to the storm coming thru. Very heavy rain, but I was prepared as I had my very large Titleist umbrella with me. I had a very enjoyable dinner in the Buffet restaurant with plenty of variety to choose from. The buffet @ The Coral Marien always had a salad and fruit bar. A hot buffet station with a fish, chicken, beef and pork dishes, potatoes, vegetables, two separate carving stations and always the ?pasta cooked the way you want it station?. Did I forget the bread area, the dessert bar and ice cream and coffee stations?

After dinner, I hung around to watch the show; the theatre is right next to the Buffet restaurant. Great show with very good performers. After the show they invite everyone up to the Disco to dance and party. I went up to socialize and get my feel. I was very tired so I didn?t stay long. I headed back to my room after a little mingling and found the beach bar. It is open 24/7. Food and alcohol. I will emphasize more on that later. Then @ 3 am off to my room to sleep.

I had a very hectic and busy day. But, now I am ready to take on Puerto Plata. If you?re all good I will upload pictures. I took many, many photos. Please do not ask for the juicy ones, I did promise I wouldn?t.

Ok, Boarders, Still want all the details? You?ll have to be patient!

Thanks! Chris