Rental Car Accident

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is from my in-box.
--------

It was bound to happen, not where but just when. I?ve been driving in Dominican Republic for ten years and no accidents (but many, many close calls). Dominicans are the nicest, easiest going, happy and friendly people till they get behind the steering wheel. How many times I blink to turn off hi-beams (**** you go blind) been passed on the right and left at the same time or have cars run red lights as you stop and wait for the green. I could go on and on and on stories about driving here (esp on Sunday, just saw a guy hit a sign, front bumper off, stop, pick it up and throw it in the back and just start off again as a manic --- amazing).

I always felt driving here was a sport, not a means of transportation. My logic was ?never be in a hurry? and hopefully nothing stupid would happen to me. Of course, I realized checking out the chicas (they all want rides) and my American driving habits (like obeying the laws and never dreaming someone would pass you as you stop to make a left turn -- on the left side :-() would eventually be my downfall. So true ....

I?ve asked Gypsy (Adventure rent a car -- http://www.adventure_rentcar.com)) what to do when the inevitable happens. She explained:

1.) Your car has insurance (from her insurance company ) if you damage another car. My insurance (on my credit card) pay for damages to hers.
2.) Never pay anything to anyone -- no matter what they say.
3.) Call me!!!

Okay, off to Cabarete to do an afternoon run. Get to town and start looking for a parking place. Towards the end of town, see some empty slots, slow down, put my blinker on and no-one is coming from the other direction (yes, didn?t look on my left mirror, never dawned on me someone would pass ON MY LEFT), made my turn and then a thud!! Someone just hit my tail and turned me around. Luckily no traffic and I just I slide into the slot. Well, a Wha-Wha (small truck used to carry people) has hit me and half of his front end destroyed (shit, must have been wired together). Well they come yelling and screaming at me (one guys has a gun and knife, works for the police, shit) like it was me doing the reckless driving. All shit breaks out and then a taxi guy comes over to settle things down. They suggest we go to the local police (down the block) and I first ask to go to Adventure-car (they have office in Cabarete) for their insurance (was not in my glove box, bad gypsy :)). Well they all pile into my car (were afraid I wasn?t going to sneak off) and we go the Adventure rent-a-car and get the insurance and then off to the police. I called Gypsy (allowed one phone call, just one) and she says she is in Puerta Plata, but on the way (thank god).

The local police station is just a brick building, bare cement floor, two tables and guys just talking. Well for two hours now people are yelling and screaming. It seems this police station has no ?transit police? needed for a traffic accident report. Hmmm, they say they are sending a guy to Sosua (by bus, shit) to get a transit police in Sosua (and he will take a bus back, shit, shit). I see being here for six hours now and say I?m going for my run to clear my head. The guy with the knife comes over and says your staying here (and the police agree).

Now, the guys who hit me can leave and goes get a lawyer (has a waiter apron on) and a mechanic to figure out the costs to repair their truck. Everyone just assumes it is my fault even thought they are the one who rear-ended me?? Shit!

Finally Alex arrives (Gypsy?s husband) and the yelling and screaming starts up again. The cab driver (only impartial guy there) tells the group (and now 30 people there) I had finished my turn so my blinker was off and look where I was hit left rear bumper and obvious I had 98% finished my turn, but no-one really cares). Nobody gives a **** and everyone joins in and the yelling continues. One guy (yes, police let me make one phone call -- to Gypsy) even says if this isn?t settled I can?t leave and will sleep on the cement floor till the transit police come. I find out latter this is just intimidation as now one of the guys (not even sure if he was on the Wha Wha says he is injured and needs to go to the hospital. Shit, shit! This is getting out of control and now two hours have passed.

Okay, Gypsy has now arrived and she gets into it with their so-called lawyer. He won?t accept her insurance and starts screaming back at her. Now Alex comes over and he and Gypsy start arguing --- shit, this is looking real bad. I come over and ask what going on?? It seems ...

1.) Their insurance will only pay for fixes to another car ONLY if that car has insurance (of course they don?t).
2.) There is no transit police sent for, they are just waiting you out (and police do nada but joke with the guys)
3.) They could make your (my) life miserable (threatening to stop me from leaving the DR, or sleep on the stations cement floor till the non-existent transit police come -- seems one passenger is a real police guy.
4.) Whose fault it is is meaningless here. It?s yours!

The police just yawn and find this all amazing. As if they wanted to know about the accident, whose fault or if the other car had insurance -- they could care less while they interview a chica who brought them food (but they do have big guns).

Now, Alex wants to settle this and Gypsy wants to go by the law (she is one year away from a law degree) and show me the system works (what system??).

Okay, Alex finally takes over (now three hours) and they want 15,000 pesos and Alex 10,000. They settle for 11,000 and Gypsy tells me get into the car now and LEAVE ASAP!!

YEA BOSS!!

I?m gone in a flash. We will put the charges on my credit card and she will get a police report for my insurance.

Bottom-line here, in the U.S. this was $5,000.00 accident, but here the price was $325.00 (only good news, cheap and I wasn?t hurt). My car only had a bump on the bumper but their truck was almost a total (again, must have been glued together).

Okay, what did we learn here!!!

1.) No matter what, it will be your fault!!!
2.) Have your dated insurance papers and car title always with you (in case the real transit police show up :)). Check when you rent the car. Very important. I?ve heard at some road blocks the military do a random stop and if no papers impound your car.
3.) Who ever you rent from, make sure you have their day/night and cell phone number and someone speaks English at the company. If not, don?t rent, no matter how cheap!
4.) Never pay anything to anyone, let your company do that and the haggling. I?m sure if I would have paid I?d still be there waiting for a non-existent hospital report from a fake injury.
5.) Stay calm. They are waiting for you to crack and pay up big time! Under the law they can not detain you unless you kill someone or seriously injured another and is in the hospital (as explained by Gypsy)
6.) Hit a car that has insurance (better chance is to win the Calif lottery)
7.) Don?t get into a accident with a police guy!

Okay now when I drive, and want to make a left I pull off the road and LOOK BOTH WAYS and then move out.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Good God!

Robert,

Thank you for sharing this... makes you think twice about driving here, eh????

gg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Amazing post

Put the charge on my credit card? Noton yourlife!.

If you hit me from the back it is your fault. Period!.

There MUST be transit police in Cabarete!....Even so this whole thing sucks, big time!....

BUT, it is hugely important that people that think they can drive here read this so they learn one of the major headaches we have here.

HB, who has been there and done that, too many times!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
WOW Robert!

HEY I will now think twice about driving there...Maybe just let my husband drive when we move... (He was a Taxi driver in NY and La) He is larger and can get out and terrorize people better than I can! Now I know what he means when he says "In my country I would have just punched that guy out....)Sorry about that trip..But happy for the information! OOHHH Makes me appreciate the US a little bit...:) Pam

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me add, I myself have been hit in the back whilst stationary in traffic.

I knew the rules so I didn't have a problem, I was lucky I guess.

I can imagine it can be a little intimidating for someone if they have a crowd of people around them. Shouting, screaming and they have no idea what they are saying or what's going on.

In this type of situation a major rental company can often be invaluable. You just make a call and let them sort it out. Usually they have a enough pull in high places to get things done, plus advise you on what to do. It may take a little longer, but at least it will be by the book and they will be in your corner.

Bottom line...

The guy was lucky the rental girl was only 10 mins way. What would have happened if he was in Bavaro?

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Geez

It is easy to say what we would have done but I don't know exactly what I would have done, I personally don't think I would have paid if it wasn't my fault because I believe if I pay something, they would want more and more, etc. I believe I would have sat in jail and after several hours, either they let me go or I probably would have paid something. I think you handled it well and fortunate to be blessed with a good rental company, I probably would have handled that situation so badly that they would add charges and I would be doing time in jail and/or large fines/bribes. Good thing you had representation and I am not afraid of many things except I do not like driving in large cities. Being from the country I would never, ever drive in Santo Domingo, etc because I do not understand the way they drive, it is downright terrifying. Some people from larger cities say it is no big deal but to me it is. That is why I have never driven in the DR except for in the campo I drove around on a scooter, that was a blast, brought me back to riding a dirt bike when little. Good post because maybe in time I will drive there but I will have to take baby steps along the way until I feel I could drive there. Good experience for those who believe it is a cakewalk to just rent a car and drive all over the DR.
dale7(Howard)

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Amazing post

Hillbilly said:
Put the charge on my credit card? Noton yourlife!.

If you hit me from the back it is your fault. Period!.

Yeah, HB, that's what I learned in the US and what I thought the time I was hit from behind in SD, about one year after moving there. Guy who hit me sued me! I wanted to fight it in court, thinking like an American, that this suit would be thrown out by any self-respecting judge and the guy made to pay for my (minor) damage. Nah, both my lawyer and the one for Seguros America said that while technically his fault, because of "certain circumstances" (they never out-and-out detailed what they meant, but made it clear that they were implying that since I was a white American, I therefore would be assumed by any judge as rich), "shared responsibility" might be ruled, and then I would be in deep you-know-what. So, against my objections, they negotiated with the mofo!

It was my first real experience with "Dominican justice," and it shook me up quite a bit.

This is one of the reasons why I was hesitant to rent a car during my recent visit to the DR. After four years of living in the DR, I knew well that driving in the DR is not "sport," despite what many posters said when I mentioned that here on the board (and you know who you are). It is dangerous in the extreme, no matter how carefully I drive. And I knew better than most that if I was in an accident, being "right" as far as the law was concerned had no meaning.

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Howard and Keith,

Very well said !!!

I have said that various times on this board and been bashed severely.

It often seems that this board is simply an extention of the DR itself - the term "nobrainer" has no meaning.

Two things cheap in the DR are bus fare and labor. Buses go almost everywhere. A driver, with car, can be hired for almost as cheaply as renting a car.

Why a gringo would even consider driving except in an emergency is beyond me. It's bad enough for those with years of experience already in the DR. When people from Europe, especially, barely old enough to drive themselves, who know nobody in the DR and barely speak Spanish, talk about how they are going to rent a car, it simply boggles my mind.

Even a Dominican of a little influence that I know had trouble when someone rear-ended her. She had to use her connections to get out of it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Re-reading this

I am reminded of a few things that are always necessary to know how to say:

Tengo seguro--I have insurance

?l me di? a m?! He hit me! (Repeated at every moment possible)

Nombre? -- Name?

Licencia? --license?

Seguro? Insurance?

Vamos a la Policia!-- Let's go to the cops!

Cops really are not the bugaboo. They take down the "facts"and then you get a report for your insurance company a few days later.

Remember: You never say anything but "?l me di?!" You can even draw it out on paper, showing how it happened: ?l me di?!, and they can write it out. Get a friend to read it for you, since they can make mistakes in interpreting what you are indicating: "?l me di?!"

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Keith, Andy a....

Now imagine getting slammed head-on, and on your lane...

Vehicles aren't moved (here's hoping that the police would see them); the police finally arrives and says, "It's your fault."

"Pero, oficial, ?l cruz?...."

Police: "C?llese la boca. La culpa es suya. Ud. va preso."

"Oficial, es que usted no est? viendo..."

"OKay, officer, here's my insurance..."

Police: "Ud. va preso."

(Policeman and owner of the other vehicle are long-time friends; owner wasn't driving, but his license-less son was; they had no insurance. It's my fault!)

Be careful when driving in small towns; people know each other.

Joseito

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
May be a small point but was effective for me. We always carry a camera in our vehicle(disposable type) and when we were in a similar incident we took out the camera and took pictures of everything including the people (some didn't like that!) and then we started demanding to see cedulas, insurance papers etc. Funny everybody dispersed pretty quickly and we went on our way!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I read Jose?to's post

That is just what I was thinking.

Well done....but keep the camara hidden.

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I also carry an old camera in my car. A year or so ago, an Amet officer backed into my car (as he committed several traffic violations, while I was completely "clean"). He wanted me to move the vehicle. Instead, I got out and took pictures of the event from every angle including the license numbers. He happened to be standing in some of the pictures. It became evident that he was really scared and told me that I couldn't take pictures. I informed him in a voice loud enough that everyone could hear, that of course, I could, I was in the middle of a public street (there may be a law against snapping shots of public officials). I really wanted to get the damage fixed on my truck (his wasn't too bad), mine had a decent dent. He continually refused to go to the police to file a report. Finally, I decided that since it was my wife's birthday, I would have to leave to take her out. I ended up trading the roll of film to the officer for another he bought me and dropping the whole thing.

Lesson-always carry a cell phone- I just happened to be without it that day.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I also carry an old camera in my car. A year or so ago, an Amet officer backed into my car (as he committed several traffic violations, while I was completely "clean"). He wanted me to move the vehicle. Instead, I got out and took pictures of the event from every angle including the license numbers. He happened to be standing in some of the pictures. It became evident that he was really scared and told me that I couldn't take pictures. I informed him in a voice loud enough that everyone could hear, that of course, I could, I was in the middle of a public street (there may be a law against snapping shots of public officials). I really wanted to get the damage fixed on my truck (his wasn't too bad), mine had a decent dent. He continually refused to go to the police to file a report. Finally, I decided that since it was my wife's birthday, I would have to leave to take her out. I ended up trading the roll of film to the officer for another he bought me and dropping the whole thing.

Lesson-always carry a cell phone- I just happened to be without it that day.

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
Any thoughts about the 'legality' of taking pictures of officials in this capacity?

Josue Collado

Jul 31, 2003
home.attbi.com
dominican style

CANUCK2 said:
Any thoughts about the 'legality' of taking pictures of officials in this capacity?
Ha ha ha! the laws in DR are very similar to the laws in France and US. What's diferent is the people that enforce them. Welcome to DR. I've been driving since I was 14 in DR, now I'm close to 50.
If you're planning to live in DR go to New York City first and drive around St. Nicholas/ 181 st (up town anyways). When you feel you can handle it then get a dominican driver to train you how to drive in DR. Drive like us dominicans do and you'll be safe! hahaha.
I see it like roll skating, if you slow down or change direction chances are some skater is going to crash with you. Driving in DR is not a sport , it's an xtreme sport. Do as they do whithout getting in trouble. People that drive in the same way they drive in US make dominican drivers very impatient. I always say to my wife that if I have an american enemy a sweet revenge would be to make him drive around Duarte con Paris, San Martin, Benito etc.
The only places you can not take pictures of are military or government installations. Remember that a police officer in DR always is right and he has the gun. Make friends in high places and always carry their Bnss card. By the way, do you people think I can move to DR and open a driving school to teach foreigners how to drive the same way dominicans do? For you is something very shocking, for them is like drinking a Presidente bien fria.
My last advise is: Learn spanish, dress like dominican, move your hands while you talk and don't forget to eat platanos majados or mangu at least three times a week! haha.

stargazer

Jul 9, 2003
Well, I did rent a car for two weeks in July - how bad could it possibly be, I'd driven in Italy for almost 20 years? I drove all over from Cabrera to Costambar. It was NOT a pleasant experience!. No rules of the civilized road are followed. Couple that with a complete lack of traffic controll/enforcement and you have chaos. I was furious!

Then I had an epiphany - the DR is a country of "teenage" level drivers! In 1998 there were 500,000 vehicles on the road, in 2002 over 2.1 million. The drivers have not have the experience to know the damage that a vehicle can do. Perhaps when they experience large number of traffic fatalities and serious injury, and with real accountablilty for accidents, the situation will improve.

In the future, I will use public transport or insured private drivers who have demonstrated driving skill.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I rent from National (a DR1 advertiser) and take maximum insurance, even though I pay by American Express. Being an experienced Manhattan driver, I'm not overly intimidated by driving in the DR. The big problem I see is the lack of warning for construction, holes in the road, cars broken down at night in the middle of the road with no lights, and hard to see motos coming from nowhere. The other night on Charles DeGaulle during a blackout (no traffic lights!!!) with hugh piles of earth for a beautification project filling the left hand lane completely impossible to see, a rainstorm - now that's just about like Manhattan at rush hour.

Oh yeah, one day on the highway between Boca Chica and SP de Macoris a guy pulls beside my on a moto @ 60 mph, dressed in regular clothes, and flashes me his open wallet as if he's a cop and ordering me to pull over. I slowed down and when he pulled over I sped away. His face was full of righteous idignation at such an insult. -D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Danny! Obviously a New Yorker. I could never get away with that I am from Iowa. Been to New York many times but still haven't got the cojones for that - I lewt my wife do all the insults and bribing! But very funny!

A thumbs up!