Pan Am games a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

sexysusan

Aug 4, 2003
Is there anyone on the planet that actually cares about these games? Even some of the athletes themselves don't seem to care. Yes, the host country cares, but really, these games seem to be a colossal waste of money. The opening ceremony was pathetic.

Vellinho

Aug 6, 2003
Some countries really take this Pan Am Games seriously. I'm talking about Brazil, Cuba, Argentina and some other little countries. Just because USA don't give a shit, it doesn't mean the Pan Am Games suck.
In Brazil, for instance, there are two cable television covering the Games 24 hours a day. In Argentina, the country objective is to struggle with Brazil for the fourth place in the medal table (I don't think they will even get close, but...)
So, don't understimate these Games just because USA don't care. All of the countries of South America do care and the Games are important to help these countries to improve. I don't know if you are aware, but all Latin countries are poor, and sports competitions are very important to them, to give their people some happiness.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Especially if that is the only reason.

So, don't understimate these Games just because USA don't care.

Well said. So what if "the USA" (e.g. one American posting here) thinks they are a joke. Don't watch. Or better yet go down there and win gold.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
sexysusan said:
Is there anyone on the planet that actually cares about these games?

Yeah, there are people who care. With out counting the 8 million Dominicans who are getting a break from politics and news about the bad economy for the next couple of weeks you also have about 40+ countries who appen to share the other 70-80% of the whole americas, from mexico, inventors of the mexican wave back in the world cup Mexico '86 (whom might I add, americans love to imitate in their superbowls and their own private world series baseball) down to Argentina and not forgetting Canada up north.

Thats not including the members of the teams of your fellow country folk who I am sure must give a bit of a damn about the games they are competing in and are better oof without your support.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: General consensus to sexysusie

ricktoronto said:
don't go away mad, but go away.

Hold on!!
If sexysusan gets sexier when mad, I'd rather she gets mad before going away. :devious:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Especially if that is the only reason.

ricktoronto said:
So, don't understimate these Games just because USA don't care.

Well said. So what if "the USA" (e.g. one American posting here) thinks they are a joke. Don't watch. Or better yet go down there and win gold.

Would anybody care about the Olympics if the US and Germans didn't show up?

The Pan Am Games have been declining in importance and popularity for years now.

The Whole Idea is to compete against the Best. If the best don't show what is that gold medal worth?
It is a shame because I use to enjoy the P/A Games a long time ago.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Re: General consensus to sexysusie

samiam said:
Hold on!!
If sexysusan gets sexier when mad, I'd rather she gets mad before going away. :devious:

My experience is that anyone calling themsleves sexy anything rarely are.

Vellinho

Aug 6, 2003
Tony C asked:

Would anybody care about the Olympics if the US and Germans didn't show up?

Let me ask you something Tony: Do you know what is the world's biggest sport competition? It's the World Cup, my friend. A soccer competition!!!
Nobody cares whether the USA are in the World Cup or not. (Of course, it doens't make any difference for the tournament).
What I mean is: the world doesn't need USA to make the biggest sport competition!

Remember, USA is just another country...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Vellinho said:
Tony C asked:

Let me ask you something Tony: Do you know what is the world's biggest sport competition? It's the World Cup, my friend. A soccer competition!!!
Nobody cares whether the USA are in the World Cup or not. (Of course, it doens't make any difference for the tournament).
What I mean is: the world doesn't need USA to make the biggest sport competition!

Remember, USA is just another country...

That is why FIFA has been spending millions trying to get the US to embrace soccer. Still hasn't happened. If the US is so unimportant then why did they have the worldcup in the US?

Still didn't answer my question. How much is that Gold medal worth if you win it without competing against the best?

Like it or not the US is the dominate cultural icon of the world. Go on with your "America isn't that important" rants. All it does is prove how important is the USA to you and the the rest of the world.

Vellinho

Aug 6, 2003
Tony C... I'm sorry for you...

Tony C,

First of all, what FIFA wants is not the US... only its stupid sports fans that pay lots of money to watch football (i don't know why but Americans play FOOTball with their hands, but that's not the question here). FIFA wants them to join the rest of the world.

Second of all, FIFA chose USA to improve soccer in this country, not because it needs USA. Or maybe you are trying to say that FIFA also needs Korea and Japan??? Come on Tony C, think...

And last but not least... you said: "US is the dominate cultural icon of the world"

CULTURAL????? Do you even know what that means? One thing is trying to prove that Americans dominate most of the sports, another thing (very different) is saying that Americans have culture!!!! Don't make me laugh... Look at your president!!! And don't forget that you guys don't even know where is Europe, the center of the World's history. Does ROME ring any bells to you? Or PARIS? MADRID? The Colleseum or the Louvre Museam????

You know what Tony C? Go to school!!! But please, not in America, because I've been studying there... it really sucks...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thread Closed. Only I'm allowed to talk about football :)

Vellinho - Lighten up, your new around here. Learn what makes this place tick, bite your tongue and then post.

Just a friendly reminder, this site is about the Dominican Republic, your opinion on the USA or Europe is worthless here.

Status
Not open for further replies.