Mail

Gato

Aug 5, 2003
I'm curious about mail into the DR from the USA. I sent a letter to Moca from NJ almost two weeks ago. I sent it standard first class with the US Post office.

Assuming address and postage are all correct...What should I expect in terms of arrival time? Weeks, Months or very good chance it will never arrive?

Gracias!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I've been lucky with my mailings, I guess. Haven't had a failure in a long time. But you gotta be patient. My letters from Illinois to San Francisco de Macor?s require a minimum of 3 weeks.

During my April/May 2003 trip to the DR, I mailed 5 post cards on the same day from Boca Chica to friends & family in Illinois. The first one arrived in 4.5 weeks; the remainder lagged nearly 3 weeks beyond that! All were in good shape, though. :)

When I send photos or "important stuff", I use USPS Global Priority Mail. These seem to require 3 weeks or a little more, but haven't had a failure yet.

Swede

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
WoW

There is a postal service in the DR??? Why didn't someone tell me??? I thought my mailbox was just decoration... I cleaned the webs out of it over the weekend because I was afraid some little creepy crawly creature may build a nest...

ON A LIGHTER NOTE... I got a package from UPS yesterday... I was soooo happy.... I felt like I was in the USA all over again... next best thing since grabbing some McDonalds in Santiago!

PS: Where is the closest Taco Bell on the North Coast??? And is there a McDonalds closer than Santiago??

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
As Long as You Don't Sue me for the Extra Pounds ....

There is a Taco Hell in Zona Rosa, a small shopping mall in Santiago. From the Mickey D's on the autopista by Supermercado Nacional go to the next intersection. The one with the Burger King and Codetel. Turn right. Zona Rosa is maybe ten blocks ahead and on the right (North) side of the street. Taco Hell is right out front, can't miss it. There is a Pizza Hut there as well.

There are no other McDonald's closer than Santiago. As far as I know just in Santiago and Santo Domingo unless there are some for the tourists in Bavaro/Punta Cana. Puerto Plata has a Burger King though.

Tom (aka XR)

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

XR,

OMG! We drove everywhere looking for Taco Bell... we settled on McD's.... I am a fast food aholic... guess on the next trip to Santiago I will have to hit them all... I will sick for days... but I will get my fix!!!

(IT IS NOT HELL... IT IS BELL ;) with a B)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hey GirlieGirl ... Alba talked me into a trip away from the computer to our Santiago house today. So guess what? Yep! I plan to stop by Taco Hell. I'll be thinking of you. Eat your little chimichonga out!

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
(In San Francisco de Macoris there is a Burger King, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried chicken.) I received 2 peices of mail in Tenares, 1 took about 3 weeks, 1 took 10 days and 1 still has not arrived and was mailed in January. I sent mail to USA once just to see how long it would take and it took 2 months.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
:mad: :confused: :angry: :bandit:

All of you can suck eggs and howl at the moon!!!

I mistakenly had my year 2000 Visa mailed to me! It STILL hasn't arrived!!!! (I cancelled it and had a new one issued and sent FEDEX, it got here in 2(TWO) days).

I sent an important letter to my agent in the USA and she STILL hasn't received it!! That was also in 2000. Probably, because the administration was changing hands about that time and noone knew anything about their job(?).

I now use FEDEX or e-mail(using attachments, where necessary) for all communication to EVERYONE, here or in the USA. It's safer, faster, and more reliable.

Texas Bill

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I KNOW every thing is bigger in Texas, but ...

Yes, Bill, and ... ? Old news! LOL.

Tom (aka XR)

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Taco Bell

Hey Girlie:

We had Taco Bell tacos in the Plaza International (Santiago) a few days ago. Danny said the ground beef ones tasted almost like home. Can't say the same for the chicken, I would not recommend them.

They do not have Tostados, you know the ones with refried beans, as a matter of fact, they don't offer refried beans at all.

Come on by the house. Everytime we have company, it seems that Mexican is the meal of choice; tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, refried beans with cheese and salsa and you guessed it, spanish rice.

To keep this thread pure to its beginning, how much does a stamp go for nowadays?

Dianne

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dianne,
A stamp for domestic mail, or overseas (as to the US or Canada)? I believe that when I was in SD last month, I paid RD$50 for a stamp for mail to the US.
Regards,
Keith

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For reliablemail

you can use the Express Mail at rates that are a bit less than Fed Ex or DHL, and it is available at the post offices.

Or you can use Business Mail which offers Priority Mail service for letters and very small packets at good rates.

All my mail comes by Business mail and I get it in a timely fashion.

HB

there is another company that is just a block from my house, called CPS, on Calle 3, near Tricom office. they offer thses services here in Santiago at slightly lower rates than Business Mail. I have placed my first order with them and am awaiting the results....

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The US Consulate in Santo Domingo uses the DR postal system for US documents. If it's good enough for them, why not you?

Last edited:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Keith, Thanks for the info. HB, be sure and post how the new service you're trying works out.

Dianne

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Other mail services...

I think Cris COlon told about EPS postal service that gives you a Miami FL address. I read it somewhere here and it came highly recommended.Pam

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
EPS

EPS Mail Services?
Expensive!!! You will be charged a set rate for each piece of mail you receive - PLUS - you will pay for each piece again by weight!!!
3 letters a week will cost you something in the region of RD$150!
And that's on top of your annual fee!
Just make sure that the junk mailers don't ever get your Miami address - it can cost you lotsa dosh!!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
OK>>>Glad to know that!

Did not know it was that much to receive mail! OK I will also search for something else then! See you never know until you ask! :) Pam