Is anybody into the shrimp farming business

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
There's a gut somewhere around Copey who has started, aborted, started again, a shrimp farm next to thr main road to Montecristi. I'll try to ferret him out and get his name, rank, and airspeed for you. If I'm successful, I'll post it on this thread. Don't hold your breath, tho, cause I understand he's a scam artist, having bilked previous investors out of their contributions to his project.
In the meantime, try the US Department of Agriculture for particulars regarding shrimp farming.

Texas Bill

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Somebody does it in a big way as all the shrimps/prawns in Cabarete seem to be delivered by a cooler truck but just can't remember the huge advertising logo on it? Will keep a look out and post again.
Peter

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I "think" there is aplace near there

I once talked to a guy that told me that he had a shrimp farm near Cabarete, on the way to Y'?sica. I wouold think it is still there.

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
There is a shrimp operation in Azua....some type of DR/Taiwan cooperative thing. Dont have a tel # but do have some pics of the ponds.

Best, Dave

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Did not work at all for me

Every time I covered them up with the dirt they died no matter how much I watered them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok I get it now Rick. For a minute I thought you were smoking something his morning. Maybe I should smoke something!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Just say NO ..........

Anna Coniglio said:
Ok I get it now Rick. For a minute I thought you were smoking something his morning. Maybe I should smoke something!

...to smoking or bringing it to the DR, unless you are what's his face the ill mannered I won't take advice guy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There was a Japanese-run shrimp farm near Cotui, by the dam, I was told when I lived there 4 years ago.

Chiri

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
the cement tanks sometimes give you a hard time they are known for contamination here in Miami i found a place that sells them cheap with all hookups but the headeache of transporting them downthere give me the creaps.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can seal the inside of the tanks with an epoxy resin!

I think it would be easier to make money driving a taxi than shrimp/fish farming! Many have tried,many have failed! CCCC

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think the expenses involved in buying appropriate equipment, setting it up, stocking, and raising to marketable size would be prohibitive in the present economic environment. You would need numerous tanks, replacement stock(availability unknown-presumably foreign) and feed, all of which must more than likely be purchased abroad.
Many negative aspects. Most Dominicans rely on the fresh water variety from the rivers and they haven't the flavor desired by true aficionados. That is what I buy locally @ RD$90/lb. and they are the 40/60 ct variety.
Texas Bill

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
There is a large operation using bulldozed ponds in between Cabrera and nagua. All his tanks are concrete or converted 500 gallon water storage tanks