Sun, August 3rd

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Sun, August 3rd

I managed to drag out of bed and got to Bowling Center around 11am. All bowling games have free admission. The games took place on the third floor where the public sat on bleachers set up just behind the bowling alleys. I stayed for about half an hour watching female athletes from Canada, US, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela..etc compete. Good thing the place was air-conditioned.

After lunch, I met up with colleagues and headed towards Parque de Este for Brazil vs. Colombia soccer match. Unlike on Sat, the park was packed. Just getting in took enormous effort as massive crowds formed at the gate, at the security doors and at the venue entrance. We arrived at the gate around 2:50pm but didn?t get to the soccer bleachers until 3:25pm!

At 3:29pm, Brazil scored the 1st goal against Colombia. The game played out under scorching sun. Small bottled water were selling for RD$15 and people couldn?t get enough. There were many Colombian fanatics around, some Brazilians as well but most Dominicans (even Argentines) were rooting for Brazil.

The Game ended with 4:0 Brazil:Colombia. The Colombians weren?t bad, but the Brazilians, true to form, were unstoppable.

After crossing the street to grab some bites at more reasonable prices, we headed to the individual?s gymnastics competition at 6pm. This time, each country sent two players (presumably their best) to compete. As a result, the game was more intense and fun to watch than the team?s competition. Again, the Cubans provoked controversies when the audience boo?ed the jury members for under-scoring. The Cuban Charles Leon got injured when he still had two more items to finish. Despite obvious pain, he barged ahead. His performance on the overhead bar was simply beyond belief. Such fluency, flair , virtuosity and precision. It was a master performance, injury or not.

Leon collapsed as soon as he made a beautiful landing. He could no longer walk. Paramedics rushed in to help him. The whole audience erupted with cheers that lasted almost a minute and delayed the next athlete?s entry. The following boo?s and protest were understandably justified when a low (for him) score was given. By this point, he was writhing with agony and had to be carried to the side. He eventually had to leave on crutches.

The game ended around 8:30, with Cuba taking Gold, US taking Silver and Colombia taking Bronze. The Cuban anthem was played and flags of all three nations were raised. Incredibly, the prize was awarded the wrong order with the Bronze medal given out before Silver. Poor American ! All this happened under watchful eyes of the full audience.

Surprisingly, there were no Dominicans among the individual competitors. Well, I guess they knew better than making a fool in front of other elite athletes, given their team performance the day before.

Well, I?m going to watch Brazil vs. Cuba soccer match this Sat and then the soccer final next week. Hopefully I?ll be inspired enough t report back here.