punta cana or puerto plata

B

barbara r

trying to decide which area to choose for a 1 week vacation. would love some answers to this...beach which area is better? ocean which area has calmer water..i heard the ocean in pp is rough..true? does puerta plata have nite life outside of the all/inc.? thanks for the answers i will look forward to hearing them. also ant hotel rec. we want to try an all/inc. thanks...barb

N

ND

We stayed at Melia Tropical in February and the beach was very nice, but had seaweed, but my husband enjoyed great snorkeling. The waters were VERY calm due to a reef about 1/4 mile out. Enjoy!

A

Amy Veitch

I stayed in Puerto Plata in March, we stayed at Playa Dorada and the water was not rough at all! It was very calm and great for swimming. We also visited a few discos in the Sosua area, with a few locals. I have heard that Punta Cana beaches are great too, but I would recommend POP. The snorkeling was not so great but in Sosua that have pretty good snorkeling, but DO NOT leave anything on the beach. Have a great trip!

F

F. Parker Jr.

I have stayed at both several times and there is no comparison between the beaches. Punta Cana offers beaches that are the most beautiful that I have visited. They are wide and stretch as far as you can see. Plenty of trees offer shade back away from the water, and there is a constant breeze off the ocean which keeps the temperatures much more pleasant. The water is very calm and conducive to water sports and snorkeling.

We have stayed at the Bavaro Beach Resort three times and it is a fantastic complex that has much to offer. Punta Cana doesn't offer much off the hotel complex areas, as it is still being developed. Day excursions and trips are offered, and I have heard that many are very good.

All in all, I would (and have)recommend Punta Cana to anyone who wishes to visit a beautiful beach, with great weather and activities to do. We will be making our fourth trip here in June/July this summer. We will be staying at the Hodelpo Bavaro Resort and will be sure to post a review when we return.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love it!

Fred

P

Pam

Puerto Plata all the way!

They have really beautiful resorts and and lots of nightly entertainment compared to Punta Cana... We stayed at Club on the Green in the playa dorada and it was absolutly amazing. My friend stayed in Punta Cana at a five star and didn't like the food compared to the Flamenco in Puerto Plata. I find there is much more to see and do on the North Coast . Again just my opinion! Have a great trip! I'm sure you'll pick the right spot!

from pam

email me if you would like with any comments or questions. Canadian_girl99@hotmail.com

J

Jeffery

I agree that the North coast has more activity. Playa Dorado is one of the most beautiful beaches on the North coast - but does not begin to compare to the lush waters of Bavaro Beach. Bavaro Beach is a beach lovers dream. I stayed at Bavaro Palace & enjoyed every aspect of my vacation there. There is little activity outside of the resort however. I did enjoy my outings to Plaza Bavaro, 15 minutes away. Both POP & PUJ are great vacations - go and enjoy !!!

M

Mr & Mrs. R. Baker

Please see this website. My husband and I just returned from Barcelo Bavaro Palace Resort. You may find it helpful in your decision making. http://www.computan.on.ca/~pdowney/travel5.html#Bavaro Palace