DR Economy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
What would you do to turn around this current economy? (Let's forget about the current government for a moment)

I would basically try to trade out of the current conditions - reduce imports and increase exports:

1. Create such favorable trading conditions that more and more clean business is attracted to come here. One giant free zone with support structures that make it easy to do business here.

2. Start a practical business school program to educate lower income Dominicans about micro businesses. Create co-ops to take the micro-business products to market.

3. Focus on four main business products/sectors - .. the farming sector for production of food as well as the support structures needed for this, .. the manufacturing and distribution sector for attracting export dollars, .. the tourist sector of course.. and a strong booming real estate market focused on the US Baby Boomers and selling them the dream of living on a Caribbean Island!
Put a strong business leader in charge of each of these sectors specifically to find markets for the products.

4. With the DR so rich in natural resources, I would attempt to become self-sufficient to reduce imports, or import components and assemble here for local consumption.

Once all of this is going, I would create social programs to teach all Dominicans to read and write. Ok, then I guess I'll fix the road and create noise and emission laws for vehicles.

OK its late at night and I'm dreaming, but seriously, what would you do?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I dream about winning the Florida Lottery

Dreaming is good for the mind.

I applaud your thinking, wishful though it may be.

I know I would get rid of the military as fast as possible.

I would restore the death penalty for a few offenses and put it to use.

I would close down the National Lottery and put it with the Florida or the Illinois lottery. I would close down the Lotto here. I don't believe them. I would close down 50 % of all the betting parlours and rais taxes on the rest.

I would make teachers responsible for performance.

I would require anyone that wants or has a driver's license to read an inspector the editorial from a newspaper or lose the license. And jail for anyone without a license and insurance.

I would take all the out-of-work people and create something like the CCC, and reforest the entire country.

I would have at least twenty five poachers shot in public for hunting birds or marine life-out of season.

I would make sports an integral part of school life. I would force all the "Clubs" to pay taxes on their income.

I would exempt businesses100% of their donations to charities or sporting events.

I love to dream, too....

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
First

I read Chris's post and thought of one of my favorite places in the world, Singapore. Think Singapore Chris! Exactly! Then I read HB's post and thought he was acting just ... a ... little ... too ... much ... like ... Papa B. Then I thought about Singapore again and realized I agree.

You're both right. Go! Lee Kuan Yew (y Lee Kuan Yew II, III, IV, etc) forever!

Tom (aka XR)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please let me know about the "Natural Resources" that the DR is "RICH" in!

...............to end a sentence in a preposition!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
natural resources

From the top of my head....

1. Stuff grows here - all kinds of stuff - e.g. flowers, other people like flowers and will pay for this. Grow the stuff properly and export it -- to Miami where they buy flowers from as far away as Hawai.
2. If you have stuff that grows, you can make stuff that other people want, like coconut oil - i.e., add value and export (ever sat down on a lazy day with a presidente and brainstormed what you can do with a coconut and a pina? Is it Bon that makes these icecreams to die for in the fruit skin? Make more and sell and export the stuff.
3. A labor force that will labor (sometimes, if you make them). If you have this as a resource, it stands to reason that you need to do something with it. What goes through my head, is that you assemble, instead of manufacture... but this is just a thought.
4. A coastline that lends itself in places to mari-culture and riviers that one could use for aqua-culture - One of the other Islands that we do business in has a conch farm that is doing well. The only one in the world. All you need is a calm bay, and some investment capital. Then you market.
5. Natural Beauty - the tourists like this and will pay to see it - a varied and beautiful landscape - don't give licenses for more AI's and bring back 'cultural type' lodgings, bed and breakfasts, more cabinas and promote touristm properly. In South Africa we have very famous 'wine tours' - well marked on the roads and you get back beautifully 'relaxed' from all the tasting... Nothing really like this here. Platana/Banana Tours? Tourists will pay for anything if you market it right and provide an interesting experience...
6. It is not too far from North American - like threads that we've seen where people say they come here because it is one flight, not Costa Rica, because it takes 3 flights.
7. A relatively developed infrastructure - not a natural resource, but a resource nevertheless.
8. Wood - getting scarcer and scarcer over the world
9. The Islands are not over populated --- Yet?
10. A host more that I can't think of now - like amber, so if you have 'lemons, make lemonade!. What can we make with amber - world class jewellery, Dominican Cartier? Have a look at the chocolate business - I forget their name now.. They are true entrepeneurs.

You probably can think of a few more Criss. Remember, I don't know the south coast well at all. I guess I also see the glass as half full usually -- and not half empty. Dream a little with me eh!

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
wow... to be serious for more than 30 seconds.

2. Planning. Plan for the future. Start a Master Plan that is attainable with percentage goals.

Build infrastructure that will provide for the future of the country.

Provide Education to be able to supply people with the right tools to carry out the master plan.

Protect the environment by putting in laws and a legal system that is capable of enforcing them.

Promote the country to the outside world.

1. Get a government that gives a shit about the people and not just personal enrichment. Make stealing from the people by polititions a capitol offense. Start public hangings and don't stop until you have a government that you can live with.

just my 2 cents.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
reading escots rules 1 and 2
we should realise that now we are in serious trouble.
realistically I dont see either rule happen in the foreseeable
future.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
ERICKXSON said:
i don't get it you guys supposed to be intelligent but instead you rather play stupid games with a serious subject.

Very serious indeed .
We residents can only witness the events and care about it
as we live here by choice and it effects us.
You however, if you are a Dominican , can control the event
by being political and get the vote out.
People have the government they voted for and there for deserve.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ERICKXSON said:
i don't get it you guys supposed to be intelligent but instead you rather play stupid games with a serious subject.

Erickxson, Dreaming/Envisioning or "Making a damn Plan!" or Thinking, usually precedes action. You've just taken action without this necessary first step and it shows!. This thread may just spur someone on to do something good, instead of bleating about the government all the time. There are lots of things that non-voters can do to improve the ECONOMIC situation. Which is what we are trying to talk about.

If you have input to the question asked, give it. If you don't like the subject, read another post and skip over this one. I like to play stupid games with serious subjects. It makes one THINK in different ways!

This thread is dedicated to all those many e-mails and private mails that I receive weekly from serious business people wanting to know how I see the economic situation and what I see as business opportunities down here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most,if not all,of the "Natural Resources" you named,

..are due to the tropical climate,and "crops" that grow,or could be grown here.There is already way to much competition in the tourist,and agricultural areas, from every "Tropical Paradise" in the World!
As far as "Infrastructure" goes,forget about that! Do you have electricity,and water 24/7? "NO!" How about a "STABLE" banking system? "NO!",An educated work force?"NO!"A "Business Friendly" Government?"NO!"

I have a 10 am meeting,but I think you get my drift! CCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Criss, the question was: "What would you do to turn around this current economy?" It was not, "What prohibits turning around the current economy?"

So, what would you do? Like XR says - Think Singapore! (not the women eh!)

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
After reading some of the posts, I agree 100% that to effect a reasonable economic climate for expansive business, we first need a reliable infrastructure, ie., roads that don't destroy vehicles, reliable electric services, adequate water supplies, adequately trained labor resavoir and a cooperative/supportive government administration free of financial aspirations.
Realizing that all this will take years to develop, I think we need to start in the milieu of education. Primary education in the 3R's first and Technical schools and higher education next.
All of the goals stipulated above(in other posts) are attainable, but only over time and consistent effort on everyones part.
Constant pressure by the business and educational communities will certainly speed the process of government support in the areas cited.
Additionaly, constant reminders of government responsibilities to the entire constituancy will eventually have an impact on the way the government acts. I wouldn't be surprised if the recent outcry by the business community will have an effect if it continues unabated into the future.
For myself, I'm giving the finger to the government and continuing to develop a business in Manzanillo. Eventually, it will be successful. In support of the basic business, we will attempt to open markets in the US and other countries for Dominican Products, both manufactured and natural.

Further comments, please.

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Way to Go with the business! Texas Bill! The finger idea is not too shabby either! ;)

Generally the current infrastructure is a pain in y'know where, but it is not impossible. One can 'free' oneself from most of the hindrances - especially if you stay under the radar screen of the government.

If you place yourself in the right place, the roads are not too bad. Telephone and communications can be overcome by installing one's own technology. And it is necessary to become self-sufficient as far as power generation is concerned. There are successful businesses here that do this already. They just don't talk about it too much - staying under the radar screen y'know.

And, in a way, I don't agree with a 'non-business-friendly' government. They are extremely business friendly if you "pay your way". They are just getting a mite too hungry at the moment. And there are ways to deal with this as well.

In terms of Caribbean Islands, I think the DR has an advantage to most of the other islands. The other islands have ocean and beaches and real-estate and tourists and possibly fishing industry. Nothing else - that's all. The DR in comparison, is rich in resources...

See Criss, I'm modifying the 'natural resources' statement a little.

I can't help it - if I remove the Government just a little from my thinking - I get very excited and bullish in terms of the possibilities in the DR. Believe me, if I bring the Government back into my thinking, I get jaded and cynical and all of these things.

So, let's Give 'Em The Finger! for a while to clear our heads for more productive thinking.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: One more Time!

Chris said:
This thread is about the ECONOMIC situation - FORGET about the government just for a moment... if you can!

when you talk economy you cannot forget the goverment.
the goverment creates the environment for a healthy economy
to exist with its taxing power , laws etc.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: One more Time!

Paul Thate said:
... the goverment creates the environment for a healthy economy to exist with its taxing power , laws etc.

No. Exactly the reverse. The government hinders the environment for a healthy economy to exist with is taxing power, laws, etc.

Robust, healthy, economic activity is as inevitable as the sun coming up each morning. There is very little a government can do to promote this activity even if it is run by very wise individuals, and very many things a government can do to be a drag on development. Even building infrastructure to 'help' businesses must be considered in the light that the money to make those improvements is robbed by the government from some income generating enterprise (the economy) to give to another.

It is by far a wiser course of action in purely economic terms to have the government involved as little as possible.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Re: One more Time!

Paul Thate said:
when you talk economy you cannot forget the goverment.
the goverment creates the environment for a healthy economy
to exist with its taxing power , laws etc.

Yes, in real life this is so. Ever heard of brainstorming solutions? To remove a 'stumbling block' from the equation during a thinking process, frequently creates a moment where the mind is free to think creatively.

Give us your ideas Paul - give a finger (thanks TexasBill) to the government for a moment and think out loud. Consider this another take on the "If I was President I would...." threads that we sometimes see here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Our problem,Chris,is that we men have a hard time

thinking that way! Get more women to help here,you can free your mind better than we can! If you need someone to say"That Will Never Work!"you know where to look!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc;)