great trip

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just back from 3 weeks in the DR. Yris and I arrived in Sosua on the 18th after traveling for 24 hrs and attended the DR1 reunion but were so tired that we didn't stay long. We did stay long enough to have an interesting conversation with Ken and Barb and Johnny Honda. We stayed at Hotel Tropix, where the host was somewhat excentric and my wife thought the room was not very clean(cockroachs in the bathroom). We did meet a great couple from Holland( a brit and a dominicana). On Sunday, we headed off to Jarabacoa to her mom's place. Within minutes of arriving we had the first of her teachers arrive, then the relatives started coming, and coming and coming. Santa Yris started unpacking all the gifts that came through customs( $10 US) unchecked. With 3 new babies in the family and plenty of young kids to cloth, it was great fun. especially the next few days when they came back to model. After several days of relaxing and visiting friends, it was off to Las Terranas for 3 days where we stayed at Playa Colibri. This is an absolutely beatiful resort. The hosts are dutch and most of the guests were French and Dutch with a few Dominican yorks. This is the place to stay if you like to prepare your own food or just relax. The beach is beautiful and clean. The town was GRUBBY, even for a Domminican town. On Tuesday it was back to Jarabacoa where we arrived to 2 days of tropical downpours and thunderstorms. When the weather improved we started looking for property to invest in as Yris decided her pesos were better invested in real estate than sitting in the bank. She bought an old house beside her school, which was destroyed the next day and is now being made into a basketball/volleyball court for the school. We were invited to a dance practise for the big fifteen year old coming out party for fifteen year old girls. It was a lot of fun and my fifteen year old son fell in love about 12 times. He was even more impressed when he found out that most of the girls spoke English.
On another note; The economy is obviously hurting and I heard many times that if it wasn't for money coming from New York, there wouldn't be any money in town. Interestingly there is a large suburb project on the outshirts where the lots are selling for $27 US per sq meter and they are selling like hotcakes. average size about 1000-1200 meters. Spent many days just exploring the countryside ending with a trip to Manabao . This small village is about 25 kilometers far up the rio yaque del norte valley from Jarabacoa. The road although narrow and curvy is freshly paved and a great drive. There are several places along this road to visit waterfalls and swim in the river(it is clean). After arriving in Manabao we continued on to Cienaga along a road that should only be traveled by van or truck. The scenery is very nice. Upon arriving in CIENAGA WE WENT TO A HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF A COFFEEE PLANTATION TO ATTEND A FUNERAL, which was the reason for the trip. The old fellow that had died was ninety and his wife was 50. What was interesting was the majority of these capesinos were light skined and blue eyed and yes they were incredibly poor. After we were feed green bannanas and spagetti, it off back to town. There were 23 people in a 1/2 ton truck, it was great because there were only 2 guys and the rest were young women, who got out everytime we came to a bridge. The next morning it was off to Rui Bachata for a few days of 5 star all inclusive. I'm not much for all inclusives, but this one is pretty good. Other than the boys having to be rescued because they got to tired fighting the waves in a Kajak, the resort was fantastic. Found out that ther animation crew only get paid 4000rd per month, no wonder they are looking for tips.
After the weekend returned to Jarabacoa to relax for a few days before returning to Canada. We did go to the capital to shop but found that we could get most things cheaper in Jarabacoa. Sosua is also much more expensive than Jarabacoa. Continental phoned me to tell me that my flight out of POP was cancelled and I now had to fly out of Santo Dom, This was the only bad thing on my trip. As per usual the people were great, especially in Jarabacoa where I'm treated fantastic. I had a number of new experiences that further convinced me that in the near future i'll move to the DR. If only the Goverment would change.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Man, you hit all the good spots

Glad you liked what you saw. I love jarabacoa.

HB

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Sounds like a GREAT vacation Bob

My kind of vacation, some AL to get spoiled, some local Hotels, lots of travel to see a great country and super people.
Thanks for the report.
Art