Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of sources of help if you have the blaster worm on your computer:

http://www.meer.net/cashman/Website/mblast.htm

http://www.net-integration.net/zeros.../msblasta.html

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Firewall

Although I run Norton Internet Security another excellent "FREE" firewall is Kerio, find it here.

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the damn thing beause I had my zonealarm firwall and antivirus unactivated. Can't explain why i would do that because its a long explanation but I must say I was doing something where these 2 things had to be unactivated for the moment. then I got the virus and my explorer won't work and thus couldn't use internet. Then I turned on my firewall and realized that "msblast" (some unknown program) was trying to access the internet. thats when I realized I was screwed. I shut down my internet and restored my c drive to sunday's setting. Then I checked to see if the damn thing was gone from the hard drive. Then I deleted all my restore points and updated the critical windows security patch files and updated my anti-virus. then I checked my drive with it. I was home free after that. thanks god.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

You guys have got me well scared! Reading all this stuff is like trying to read something in a foreign language.

As you will have realised, I'm not very "whizzy" when it comes to technology. I have just treated myself to a PC (I always used the one at work before, but they are threatening to take away our internet access - they think people abuse it!) and was feeling very pleased with it until I started reading this thread.

How do you know if you have a virus?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you know if you have a virus?

Babe,

The first thing is to install a good Anti-Virus.
    I personnaly run AVG from http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

it is very good, and very user friendly.

For the Firewall I personally use Sygate
    http://www.sygate.com/index.htm

You download both for free, and once you register you receive updates for the Anti-virus.

The Firewall can scan your computer for open ports that hackers use to come in. It will advise what ports should be closed and will do it for you by asking at the screen once the port scan is finished.

Once you install the antivirus run a complete scan, once the scan is done it will tell you what it found and the suggestions about what to do if any infected files are found.

I must say that as a techie I find this AVG better than Norton.

Another good to avoid virus is be configuring you incoming email to be also scan before you open.
    If you receive any files with extension like .exe, and bin, DO NOT open then because those are executable and they can wipe out your entire HD in minutes.

If you keep important data on you PC the best to protect is have a backup.
    The easies and cheapest way is to install a CD Burner and burn to CD what you need.

HTH

Ciao
    Last edited by ajicaribe; 08-15-2003 at 05:44 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default emails

view your emails before you open with Mailwasher if you do not know who the mail is from bounce it back puts them on a blacklist then it will open your wanted emails, available at www.mailwaher.net

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys, I will download the anti virus and the firewall. I'm learning more and more all the time - I have now given up watching TV and listening to music - all I seem to do now in my spare time is surf the net!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Attention Windows Users with Virus

Guess what??? After all the frustration, cursing, ranting and raving I did, well, I just happened to move one of the boxes on the table, uncovering a spare keyboard that just happened to be hooked up parallel to my mouse.
    All problems solved!!! The damn box was keeping ine of the keys depressed!!! Thereby confusing hell out of the machine.

Just to be on the safe side, I updates Norton, went back in time on the machine, defragged, and used a register cleaner.

Things are working OK now.

I really felt like a stupid ass for not being more careful and observing of my surroundings.

Texas Bill

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, closed.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

10. Likes drstock, Bronxboy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12