Attention Windows Users with Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I got the damn virus yesterday. shit
I had to restore my disk to sunday's setting on windows xp. then I downloaded the patches (critical updates) and updated my windows. Then I also updated my anti virus. By restoring the windows to sunday's setting I whiped out the worm then I deleted all my restore points by unchecking the restore system I used my anti-virus to check my disk. I am all set. thanks god.

islandbreeze

Jul 5, 2003
me too ...

I got it too ... apparently MS new about the loop-hope in its Windows XP program and it did nothing to correct it. It wasn't possible to load the patches once I got the virus because the computer wouldn't stay on long enough ... to access the Inet.

Put me out $80.00 ... anyone know about sueing MS

IB formerly MNS

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
:confused: :mad:

I don't know if I've picked up a virus or not, but I spent the entire day yesterday trying to log onto Codetel and kept being denied access. Late last night, I started getting the message that my username/password was invalid!
I called today and was told that I was logged on for the past 14 hours! I woke them up by telling them(Codetel) that was impossible since I couldn't log on in the first place, and in the second place I was using the computer line to talk to them.
They broke into the connection and bumped whoever off line, told me to try again, which I did and got on. Later, the same thing started happening again--my not being able to log on. The message this time was that the server wasn't responding.
Personally, I think that out-of-town calls to the server are being denied because all the lines are being used by the Sports reporters to send their filings in to their papers and Codetel is telling regulars to GFT untis the games are over.
Or, am I being unfair and paranoid???

Comments???

Texas Bill

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Texas Bill, someone has hacked your login name and password to internet and logging in from another location. Call codetel and change your password. Use a good firewall to protect people from hijacking your pc.

Island breeze, read my previous post to see how I got rid of the virus from restoring my pc to another date (sunday) and then deleting all the restore points to kill anything that could be residing in the restore data. This is a very good xp function and saves your alot of headaches.
Good luck.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: me too ...

islandbreeze said:
... anyone know about sueing MS...

in all fairness to Microsoft, a security bulletin was released on July 16/03 warning of its existence along with a details on how to download a patch to prevent the worm.

mob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am lucky, I use ME which is immune, so far.

The Microsoft 2003 Server, the XT(?) and NT and PRofessional are able to be infected.

There is a good place to get protection (McAfee or Norton, on line.

HB, looking for a good web site with info on this...

islandbreeze

Jul 5, 2003
Norton doesn't catch it

HB ..... apparently the only anti-virus software to catch it is AVG made by a "Chek" company. According to Wud's post it appears that Norton updated its system after the bug got out .. anyways I found the best place to read about it was the English North American papers ... they estimate that over 100,000 computers were infected and it will take about another week for the bug to run its course ...you can try CNN on line

AZB ... unfortunately I am not a tech savvy like you ... as you know my specialties are in OTHER areas .... I haven't seen you in the chats lately ... I must be going to bed too soon

IB formerly NMS
still suffering from mutiply identy disordrer

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I got the damn thing beause I had my zonealarm firwall and antivirus unactivated. Can't explain why i would do that because its a long explanation but I must say I was doing something where these 2 things had to be unactivated for the moment. then I got the virus and my explorer won't work and thus couldn't use internet. Then I turned on my firewall and realized that "msblast" (some unknown program) was trying to access the internet. thats when I realized I was screwed. I shut down my internet and restored my c drive to sunday's setting. Then I checked to see if the damn thing was gone from the hard drive. Then I deleted all my restore points and updated the critical windows security patch files and updated my anti-virus. then I checked my drive with it. I was home free after that. thanks god.

Dec 9, 2002
You guys have got me well scared! Reading all this stuff is like trying to read something in a foreign language.

As you will have realised, I'm not very "whizzy" when it comes to technology. I have just treated myself to a PC (I always used the one at work before, but they are threatening to take away our internet access - they think people abuse it!) and was feeling very pleased with it until I started reading this thread.

How do you know if you have a virus?

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
How do you know if you have a virus?

Babe,

The first thing is to install a good Anti-Virus.
I personnaly run AVG from http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

it is very good, and very user friendly.

For the Firewall I personally use Sygate
http://www.sygate.com/index.htm

You download both for free, and once you register you receive updates for the Anti-virus.

The Firewall can scan your computer for open ports that hackers use to come in. It will advise what ports should be closed and will do it for you by asking at the screen once the port scan is finished.

Once you install the antivirus run a complete scan, once the scan is done it will tell you what it found and the suggestions about what to do if any infected files are found.

I must say that as a techie I find this AVG better than Norton.

Another good to avoid virus is be configuring you incoming email to be also scan before you open.
If you receive any files with extension like .exe, and bin, DO NOT open then because those are executable and they can wipe out your entire HD in minutes.

If you keep important data on you PC the best to protect is have a backup.
The easies and cheapest way is to install a CD Burner and burn to CD what you need.

HTH

Ciao

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the info guys, I will download the anti virus and the firewall. I'm learning more and more all the time - I have now given up watching TV and listening to music - all I seem to do now in my spare time is surf the net!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
:alien: :confused: :mad:

Guess what??? After all the frustration, cursing, ranting and raving I did, well, I just happened to move one of the boxes on the table, uncovering a spare keyboard that just happened to be hooked up parallel to my mouse.
All problems solved!!! The damn box was keeping ine of the keys depressed!!! Thereby confusing hell out of the machine.

Just to be on the safe side, I updates Norton, went back in time on the machine, defragged, and used a register cleaner.

Things are working OK now.

I really felt like a stupid ass for not being more careful and observing of my surroundings.

Texas Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.