Cost of Living?

J

Jess

What would be required for 2 people to have a modest living, renting a small house in an ocean town?

S

Stephen Hadley

I am very interested in this myself, because my wife and I plan to move there in a few years (my wife is a dominican)

What do you mean by modest living?

do you want a car? they are extremely expensive. Motorcyles are cheap enough

I know a couple who rented a three bedroom place in Rio San Juan for about 150 USD/month. I havent personally seen it but I am sure it is below most European and American standards.

much nicer places can be rented at 10 times that price

Food costs are very similar to US.

the way I figure it is 10000 USD/year gives a Dominican middle class life style...

Any other opinions?

M

Michael W. Myers

Hello, Well I think that most of us are wondering the same thing. How much will it cost us to feel that we are doing better and living happier than where we currently reside.(ie. U.S or Canada, Europe etc.)I think that $18,000 cash U.S I believe for me to be comfortable there. But this is an individual decision and it also depends on how much you are willing to give up example a car like the other guy said. I don't think that anyone in the D.R is going to pay me $18,000U.S or equivelent in pesos unless you have a very special skill. As of now I don't have one you might be able to make this kind of money in your own business but as we all know business is at least some luck. I plan on working some contract work for the U.S government in the middle east. This will give me enough $$ to at least give me a chance to live O.K in the D.R. If anyone has any ideas as how to work or where to work please leave this on the board or contact me via Email. Business ideas are also a good idea for our curious minds.. If anyone has any imput please leave a message or contact me. If you disagree or agree this is fine I just want to learn enough good or bad so I can live a fruitful life on that bueatiful island.

D

DR One

In the Living in Santo Domingo book we estimate that a family of four + plus a maid can live modestly on RD$40,000 a month. A single person could probably make it austerely on RD$10,000 a month. Figure a couple could live modestly on RD$20,000.

If you are sincerely considerng living in the DR, you should purchase the Living in Santo Domingo book. It has a chapter on the cost of living in SD. Living in Santo Domingo book

M

Marlie

I have rented places as cheap as 2500 RD, and they have been quite nice, the food is cheap if you go to the markets, which I did all the time, (and I never got sick, in fact when I moved back to Canada and my husband and I got pregnant - I had the best iron levels the clinic had ever seen!!) Come on, people - why discuss it, if it is your destination, try it, I have a 4 year old, and I still think of going back every day, and no, I'm not Dominican, and neither is my child!! Live your dream, and if I can't make it back, I'll live vicariously through your life!!!!