euro vs. us dollar

jukka

Aug 14, 2003
Hi,

planing my first trip to dr in sept - oct, and would like to ask if someone knows the exchange rates for euros & us dollars.

And if you could also tell me that if euros are exchangable all around the country (had big difficulties with them in mexico last year, from lousy rates to people not knowing what they were).

Planing on mostly taking travelers checks.
Havent yet decided on wich mark.
Amex, Visa or Thomas Cock...? or are they all exchangable in dr?

And one more question about the atm machines... the only card I have is
Visa Electron. Can I use it to withdraw money from the local atms? (yes, yes, I have money in the account ;)

Thanks in advance...

Jukka

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Probably

jukka said:
Hi,

planing my first trip to dr in sept - oct, and would like to ask if someone knows the exchange rates for euros & us dollar

Planing on mostly taking travelers checks.
Havent yet decided on wich mark.
Amex, Visa or Thomas Cock...? or are they all exchangable in dr?

And one more question about the atm machines... the only card I have is Visa Electron. Can I use it to withdraw money from the local atms?

Euros (cash) are OK in Boca Chica for the most part and the capital. Still, Iwould be inclined to use US$ and skip the worrying.

Travelers checks are accepted , again I'd prefer to use Amex and not the others.

Give the type of people that hang around in Boca Chica I'd think
or Thomas Cock...?
would be popular ( joke).

If the Visa Electron says Plus or Cirrus on it you should be OK. And a 4 digit PIN if I recall the rules on that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Euros exchanged on North Coast. About 3 pesos more per Euro than per dollar.

jukka

Aug 14, 2003
Thank you

Thank you for you quick replys.

3 pesos more for ? than $ sounds quite ok, checked the official exchange rates at www.oanda.com and 3 pesos was the difference between the currencies.

I reckon I will take most of my tc in dollars and some in ?uros + adittional cash.

Thanks again,

Jukka

*Esther*

Aug 27, 2003
The best thing you can do is exchange your euros into pesos. Be changing them as soon as you spend them, but don't change them all at the same time.

If you change your euros into dollars and then into pesos be sure you will lose money. And if you pay in pesos whatever you wanna buy or pay, you will lose money too. It's cheaper to pay in pesos.
The only thing you need is US$10 for taxes to get into the country and US$20 to leave the country.

Last edited: