This Forum brings back so many memories

trpntx

Aug 11, 2003
Hi guys, My name is Tina Paulino and I am from Dallas TX. I am so excited that I found ya'll !!!!!!
I am a little embrassed to share my story.
I am married to a wonderful Dominican man from Puerto Plata for the last 8 years, that I met on vacation, yes he was a resort worker. I think thats the part I am embrassed about after reading all this horror stories about resort workers.
I met him and two weeks after my vacation I could not live with out him so I picked up and left my comfortable materlistic world and moved in with him.
He lived in the city close to central park, not the best part of town. I loved it there, his family was great opened their modest home to me. This was in November and we got married by January. The electricity, water, mosquitos nothing bothered me there, I was in love with a great man and in love with the people and the country.....
It was the best move I could have ever made. I learned to appreciate everything that I had and where I came from. My family said that they should have sent me to the DR years before it would have saved them alot of money.
I was such a big hair wearing, BMW driving, designer wearing, faked nailed brat. Until I made the move.
We lived there for the first 2 years of our marriage. We built a small apartment above his mothers house, he continuted to work at the resort and I got to enjoy being a little dominican house wife. Loved it!!!!
I got very sick and had to come back to Dallas for an operation, my man followed me, with out papers and all. Once I got better we decided to stay.
Got him legal so he could stay in the country he immediately got a job with a major airline, we bought a house, 2 cars, etc. and like they say the rest is history.
Sure we have great and nice things, but I still dream of my days walking on the beach, looking out my kitchen window and seeing the mountains, walking to the boulevard, going to the discos, drinking Presidente and Barcelo Rum, and just enjoying life dominican style.
We still long to move back and enjoy our little piece of paradise. We are in our mid 30s but we plan to return when we retire. Truth be have it I think my husband has become quite the "gringo".
His mother is still there and we help take care of her. We come back and visit every year but we have to stay at a resort because my husband now needs his a/c, cnn, and espn....
Anyways, thank you for letting me read your stories and hearing your bits of news makes me feel I am at home again!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board!

Our official Welcomer is sleeping off his daily dose of too much work and too much heat....Naw....he'll show up
Anyway you are welcome on the board.
I am glad you come here every year, because I have a bunch of great friends there in Dallas, and theyt need cigars from here...hehehe
They just got married....

Anyway, congrats on being the small percent that get it to work. We have seen too many that don't ...

Again, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

HB

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Tina, great to read your story. But you know, you shouldn't be embarrassed to say your husband was a resort worker - it really doesn't matter where he worked or what he did, as long as the two of you are happy. And you obviously are. Continue enjoying your vacations and look forward to that retirement!!

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Sooo nice to hear your story...I too, am a little shy/embarrassed to admit my fiancee is a resort worker...yes...worse...animacion! Anyway, once I get my career going as I just finished law school, I'll be filing the petition for his fiancee visa and he's on his way to Boston!! I can't wait...I just returned home yesterday and we miss each other sooo much already!