speaking of blackouts....

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I have 2 reverse engineered disaster appliances ( a radio that only requires cranking to work and a flashlight that only requires shaking to generate enough power to work. Not that they are comparible to the loss of a power grid in a large city but, are there other reverse engineered - self powered appliances i.e. stoves, tv's etc. that could maintain an individuals' environment? (other than solar)
Of course a foot pedaled generator could save alot of food spoilage, no? Just curious.
john

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow. that was a long night. I got power at 3 am because I live near a hospital but most of Guelph is closed for the day. My cable isn't back yet so I can't watch what else is going in the world. Ontario is in a under a state of emergency. Everyone has been told to just stay home. It could be worse. It could be winter. Phones are working off and on.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Erickxson, my intention was to find out about power sources other than fossilo fuel, etc. I.E. friction, compression, self generatedenergy. And of any existing items. thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was driving home when the blackout hit. It is amazing how much education can contribute to order in a society. As soon as the blackout hit every light became a four way stop with everyone taking their turn to go and some people even asking others to go before them. Even the busiest intersections were moving along without any problems, even though there were no police directing traffic yet. I was very impressed that, even in a big city like Detroit, people would behave like this. The thought crossed my mind that if this would have been the DR there would be immediate gridlock as everyone tried to go at once and nobody would yield. Amazing what education can achieve...Will we ever get to that level

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i once bought a torch in cuesta (or some place like that), that looked like a star trek phaser. you had to keep pulling the trigger to make it work. it worked well for a while, but the trigger action was very noisy.
one day it just packed up, so i went back to using candles.