Cabarete

sarahw

Jul 26, 2003
Has anyone visited Seagrape hotel?, could they tell me what its like and any do's and dont's while i am staying in Sept. I have read Silverghost threads and i must say the Catermeran sounds like a good day out. Also i am on an all inc package, how much spending dosh do i need for two weeks?

Any info would be good.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Sea Grape

You'll like it even if it's a bit out of the main town of Cabarete. No doubt you'll be able to get into town and explore the beach nightlife by cab?
We drive through there on the way to our little Caribbean beach bar at La Boca - it looks quite nice! A bit Germanic with a number of bars scattered around the village/complex - all advertising Schnell Imbis etc.
Have no info on the hotel, sorry!
PM us if you fancy meeting up once your here.
Peter & Alex

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
SeaGrape

here is the link to their website: http://www.seagrape-beachclub.com/english.htm

you won't have all the 'glimmer and shine' like in a 5 star hotel at the east coast, but I'm sure you will like SeaGrape Hotel.
Most rooms are either fairly new or renovated, there are 2 pools (one for the 'louder' people with pool games, another one quiet for relaxing). The buffet for lunch and dinner is maybe a little bit smaller than in other hotels, but the food is great and varies.
And, the staff working there is just incredible: The receptionist, animation team, cleaning maids, cook, waiters.. everybody is very, very, very friendly and helpful, they make sure that the guests enjoy their vacation.

If you want to eat out one night, just around the corner there is a very good new restaurant, nice ambiente and high cusine for very good prices (average meal 150 Pesos). Also just outside the hotel is an Austrian bar, there you can see any boxing, soccer or formula1 event live via satellite. There is also a tour agent next door, where you can book all kind of tours to explore the island.

I live in this area. When I get family visiting, they allways book SeaGrape and are allways very happy there.

Enjoy your stay!

sammyeire

Feb 7, 2006
cheap and cheerless and watch out for the dominican predators

Location: Cabarete, Dominican Republic, Caribbean, North America
Title: Cheap and Cheerless , Watch out for the men...
ID#: 4412589
My name is Sammy I'm 24 and my friend Lisa is 20 we both went out to the
dominican republic for a relaxing holiday before we both get married and I got
nothing what I was expecting. An Amazing plush island with white sands, blue
seas and lovely people who looked out for my every need and a relaxing holiday.

What I got was a cheap hotel, with a poor selection of food, room appliances
that broke down, cheap alcohol that gave me a stomach upset every day and sleazy Dominican men who thought that they were an Adonis. Now I'm Irish so I'm used to disappointment but this was different actually the toilet became my best friend. Admittedly when you take and all inclusive holiday you get what you're given but this was different all the food smelt the same I think it must be the oil they cook all the food in. But this is a Holiday Hell. Trust me. Cheap and cheerless.

For what it is the Seagrape is the poor relation of a crap holiday camp in the
UK except staff are far more lazier in the Dominican maybe because it's too hot they don't feel like doing anything. But the so closed animation are poor, the entertainment throughout the day is boring and repetative and no one on a hot day wants to bother. So they give up on it and disappear for an hour or so. They then return after siesta to hassle customers to join in their so called crazy games. I think they should be shown what it is to entertain, they forget about the children and tend to just hang about waiting for things to do, and young innocent girls to flirt with or couples with lots of money.

But all that aside I read in another review that the seagrape has gone through repairs so oh my god what was it like before. We were moved 3 times due to shower not working,toilet blocked etc etc.

And at night we treated to what this anime team called showtime which I was
quite looking forward to, but once again disappointed a keyboard player, bingo
and some dancers was the highlight of each evening. So like two typical Irish
girls we drank our sorrows away to then find we got sleazed on by I think every man in the Dominican.

Ewww these men are grose and they dont take no for an answer, two nights in to the holiday we went with some people we met to a bar called tuggi I think and a pool bar and we got hit by like every dominican in the place. My skin was actually crawling at the end of it. Prostitutes everywhere going with both girls and boys and god knows what they've got.

These men really think they're amazing, just like a typical male but this is a
new sort of macho that I've never experienced. A man whispering in my ear that they could take me to heaven and back I should leave my fiance and come and live with him and he would treat me like a queen for the rest of my life, This guy could barely dress himself right.. ha what a joke.

These Dominican men really think they are something special, and they are so
not. We met another two girls from germany who were about 19 years old with their bopyfriends and they said eevn with their boyfriends they were sleazed on everytime they werent looking. The odd thing is the german boys looked like they were having fun they kept beating these dominicans at pool and let me tell you this did not go down well with them they then actually starting inventing rules to ensure a victory . sore losers me thinks.

A few nights before animation team asked them if they would like to come to a dance bar with them all night and they ended up paying while they sleazy danced all over you right infront of the boyfriends. Saying that theyre "just dancing with them" and you end paying for all their drinks all night. They were happy to be leaving in a few days they hated the seagrape and they thought the men were sleazy money grabbers.

They both said they hated the men but we met them a few days later outside the toilets they told us that one night after their boyfriends had gone to sleep
they went for a walk back to the bar and ended getting really drunk with two
domincan men and for some reason they ended up on a beach down the way doing something wrong and don't remember how its happened, They said relationship ruined. The were admament they did nothng wrong. Mind you they were quite large girls and I know that dominican men pray on girls with low self esteem.

Surely the beach should be patrolled at night, in Ireland the beaches are
watched at night all the time it's stops teenagers being silly with a lad
they've just met and the seagrape had a gate with a lock that was always left open so what was the point of the gate.

It's funny just because it's in a foreign country people think its aceptable and
just to forget it but how can you forget something like that. The thing is I was an innocent when I met my husband and I've only been with him so I dont know what it is to be with another man and don't want to but imagine me risking this for holiday fling and ending up with AIDS.no thank you. I'm not their mothers so I couldn't really do anyting but it's tormented me ever since.

And the way this site works it legally covers them and warns me not to write
anything that could be considered a criminal offence hence once again hiding the real truth of the Dominican.

We saw them before they left and they were still so upset and I told them once they got back to Dresden they should get tested it dont matter theyre not clean in this country and you have got to be so careful. Hygiene is not important to them like us, They begged us not to tell anyone.? But I'm sorry girls if your reading this I havent been able to think staright about since I got back. This is a warning to parents or young girls who think, this country is safe because on reflection its not. These men are sleazy they consider us more financially secure and will say anything and do anything to gain your trust and get out of their country this is obvious.

They literally want out and are prepared to do anything to get out. They realise that our passport and a new life is worth doing what it takes to get.

These incidents actually dampened our holiday we were always on guard and
watching our drinks, mind you in the day it rained qute a bit so we went by the hotel taxi into cabarete and one day to sousa and that was worse, men every where sleazing with their " what's your name routine, I'm the best lover man" oh please I think its kinda papthetic that a man with no shoes and hardly any teeth but is telling me that he can make all my dreams come dream.

For me this hotel has nothing that would attract me back to it, I've told my
friends and a holiday rep I know for Thomas Cook that that area should be
flatened, and started again with tighter complex security and a brand new set of people. An example me and my fiance went to St. Lucia stayed in a complex hotel, where everyone had name badges there was security and the beach was patrolled all night. Tourists felt safe and just stayed in the complex infact we never needed to leave it had 5 bars, a nightclub and a variety of 7 restaurants from all parts of the world. And their animation had 3 sections , one for the kids, one for teenagers and one for adults. NOw thats a holiday and what a resort.

The Seagrape is neither, I know its an undeveloped country and these people need to survive but things have to seriously improve, Tourist police never saw once and the real police no where to be seen. So what happens if there was a serious.. hmmm...

Never going back...Rather stay in Ireland and get married and have home
comforts, the weather aint great but my husband to be is, my family and what I got here I would never trade for anything..and we certainly won't be going to the DOminican Republic for our Honeymoon. feck know..

When reading this just remember this is what happened to me and a few others not neccessarily what your experience will be like. If your a married maybe 40+ old or retired couple you might have a fabulous time, but parents taking your daughters please watch them all you can. These man are sleazy and they'll make your daughter feel like a million dollars and tell her anything to get what they want. When Alchohol is free flowing and out goes the wits...

Samantha

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sammyeire said:
These men really think they're amazing, just like a typical male but this is a new sort of macho that I've never experienced. A man whispering in my ear that they could take me to heaven and back I should leave my fiance and come and live with him and he would treat me like a queen for the rest of my life....
How could you not fall for his line?:)
sammyeire said:
anything that could be considered a criminal offence hence once again hiding the real truth of the Dominican.
I don't understand what you mean?
sammyeire said:
An example me and my fiance went to St. Lucia stayed in a complex hotel, where everyone had name badges there was security and the beach was patrolled all night. Tourists felt safe and just stayed in the complex infact we never needed to leave it had 5 bars, a nightclub and a variety of 7 restaurants from all parts of the world. And their animation had 3 sections , one for the kids, one for teenagers and one for adults. NOw thats a holiday and what a resort.
I wonder if this is a case of you get what you pay for. My guess is St. Lucia is much more expensive than the DR.

Sep 19, 2005
rellosk.....the benefit in this girls post should be readily seen.....there should be no need to pick apart little half truths, or debatable things....it is one persons open and honest view... and it rings a similar tune.....

I have gone to several of these AI's... and just the fact that the country is beautiful, and the beaches can be beautiful, and the air is warm...cant cover up all the problems the people who work here have grown to make for themselves and the tourists. it is an attitude that i saw right away....an attitude that would get you fired in an instant in a similar envoriment in the states or other vacation destinations.....

when will the DR realize that people who take vacations ...do it repeatedly!!!!!!!!! its not a once in a life time thing!..they remember... the carribean is huge!!!!!!!!! they are all fighting for the tourist dollar.... the places that treat you like a king will get the dollars.... the places that are stocked with horny toads and crass personell, wont...no matter how much some other think of the place!

This woman's post is one of the best post i have ever read here.

and even if I was totally in love with the DR at all costs....I could see her truths......its like realizing your mother or father is a drunk....you dont want to accept it.....but you know it is a fact!!!!!!!!!!! and it hurts when others see it, and speak it.

I think the dr is probably a single mans 3 star vacation spot.... or an older couples 3 star get away............and from the amount of snakie posts...it seems it may be a place for lonely single women looking for sex and or romance............but they should have a sign in canada....saying

"GIRLS LEAVE YOUR HEART AT HOME"....

go in heartless and come out the same way!!!!!!! is what i say

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
rellosk.....the benefit in this girls post should be readily seen.....there should be no need to pick apart little half truths, or debatable things....it is one persons open and honest view... and it rings a similar tune.....
Bob, you misread what I wrote. I wasn't trying to pick apart her post. I like you thought it was one of the best detailed trip reports in a while.

I just didn't know what she meant when she said " ... And the way this site works it legally covers...".

Sep 19, 2005
understood.....any post is as much for someone mentioned as it is for those that may follow as well...

I also didnt understand that comment about the legality issue...

I may be biased, but I have found the Dominican men to be obnoxious and rude... and adonis like as well....even with me near my gf!!!, plus they are rude in the discos sometimes......of course that the dominican man who is out on the hunt at night...I have many friends who are perfect gentlemen....but the truth is they dont go out much to discos.....

of course even if a woman was similar to a dominican man...it is hard to find fault with them!!!!!!!!! that is really wrong...but it is the truth....

I dont think the (DR)women feel intimidated by other women with men...like a dominican man feels when a tourist or white guy is with a hot babe....

I guess its the tetesterone

ha ha ha.bob

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
sammyeire said:
ID#: 4412589
My name is Sammy I'm 24 and my friend Lisa is 20 we both went out to the
dominican republic for a relaxing holiday before we both get married and I got
nothing what I was expecting. An Amazing plush island with white sands, blue
seas and lovely people who looked out for my every need and a relaxing holiday.

What I got was a cheap hotel, with a poor selection of food, room appliances
that broke down, cheap alcohol that gave me a stomach upset every day and sleazy Dominican men who thought that they were an Adonis. Now I'm Irish so I'm used to disappointment but this was different actually the toilet became my best friend. Admittedly when you take and all inclusive holiday you get what you're given but this was different all the food smelt the same I think it must be the oil they cook all the food in. But this is a Holiday Hell. Trust me. Cheap and cheerless.

For what it is the Seagrape is the poor relation of a crap holiday camp in the
UK except staff are far more lazier in the Dominican maybe because it's too hot they don't feel like doing anything. But the so closed animation are poor, the entertainment throughout the day is boring and repetative and no one on a hot day wants to bother. So they give up on it and disappear for an hour or so. They then return after siesta to hassle customers to join in their so called crazy games. I think they should be shown what it is to entertain, they forget about the children and tend to just hang about waiting for things to do, and young innocent girls to flirt with or couples with lots of money.

But all that aside I read in another review that the seagrape has gone through repairs so oh my god what was it like before. We were moved 3 times due to shower not working,toilet blocked etc etc.

And at night we treated to what this anime team called showtime which I was
quite looking forward to, but once again disappointed a keyboard player, bingo
and some dancers was the highlight of each evening. So like two typical Irish
girls we drank our sorrows away to then find we got sleazed on by I think every man in the Dominican.

Ewww these men are grose and they dont take no for an answer, two nights in to the holiday we went with some people we met to a bar called tuggi I think and a pool bar and we got hit by like every dominican in the place. My skin was actually crawling at the end of it. Prostitutes everywhere going with both girls and boys and god knows what they've got.

These men really think they're amazing, just like a typical male but this is a
new sort of macho that I've never experienced. A man whispering in my ear that they could take me to heaven and back I should leave my fiance and come and live with him and he would treat me like a queen for the rest of my life, This guy could barely dress himself right.. ha what a joke.

These Dominican men really think they are something special, and they are so
not. We met another two girls from germany who were about 19 years old with their bopyfriends and they said eevn with their boyfriends they were sleazed on everytime they werent looking. The odd thing is the german boys looked like they were having fun they kept beating these dominicans at pool and let me tell you this did not go down well with them they then actually starting inventing rules to ensure a victory . sore losers me thinks.

A few nights before animation team asked them if they would like to come to a dance bar with them all night and they ended up paying while they sleazy danced all over you right infront of the boyfriends. Saying that theyre "just dancing with them" and you end paying for all their drinks all night. They were happy to be leaving in a few days they hated the seagrape and they thought the men were sleazy money grabbers.

They both said they hated the men but we met them a few days later outside the toilets they told us that one night after their boyfriends had gone to sleep
they went for a walk back to the bar and ended getting really drunk with two
domincan men and for some reason they ended up on a beach down the way doing something wrong and don't remember how its happened, They said relationship ruined. The were admament they did nothng wrong. Mind you they were quite large girls and I know that dominican men pray on girls with low self esteem.

Surely the beach should be patrolled at night, in Ireland the beaches are
watched at night all the time it's stops teenagers being silly with a lad
they've just met and the seagrape had a gate with a lock that was always left open so what was the point of the gate.

It's funny just because it's in a foreign country people think its aceptable and
just to forget it but how can you forget something like that. The thing is I was an innocent when I met my husband and I've only been with him so I dont know what it is to be with another man and don't want to but imagine me risking this for holiday fling and ending up with AIDS.no thank you. I'm not their mothers so I couldn't really do anyting but it's tormented me ever since.

We saw them before they left and they were still so upset and I told them once they got back to Dresden they should get tested it dont matter theyre not clean in this country and you have got to be so careful. Hygiene is not important to them like us, They begged us not to tell anyone.? But I'm sorry girls if your reading this I havent been able to think staright about since I got back. This is a warning to parents or young girls who think, this country is safe because on reflection its not. These men are sleazy they consider us more financially secure and will say anything and do anything to gain your trust and get out of their country this is obvious.

They literally want out and are prepared to do anything to get out. They realise that our passport and a new life is worth doing what it takes to get.

These incidents actually dampened our holiday we were always on guard and
watching our drinks, mind you in the day it rained qute a bit so we went by the hotel taxi into cabarete and one day to sousa and that was worse, men every where sleazing with their " what's your name routine, I'm the best lover man" oh please I think its kinda papthetic that a man with no shoes and hardly any teeth but is telling me that he can make all my dreams come dream.

For me this hotel has nothing that would attract me back to it, I've told my
friends and a holiday rep I know for Thomas Cook that that area should be
flatened, and started again with tighter complex security and a brand new set of people. An example me and my fiance went to St. Lucia stayed in a complex hotel, where everyone had name badges there was security and the beach was patrolled all night. Tourists felt safe and just stayed in the complex infact we never needed to leave it had 5 bars, a nightclub and a variety of 7 restaurants from all parts of the world. And their animation had 3 sections , one for the kids, one for teenagers and one for adults. NOw thats a holiday and what a resort.

The Seagrape is neither, I know its an undeveloped country and these people need to survive but things have to seriously improve, Tourist police never saw once and the real police no where to be seen. So what happens if there was a serious.. hmmm...

Never going back...Rather stay in Ireland and get married and have home
comforts, the weather aint great but my husband to be is, my family and what I got here I would never trade for anything..and we certainly won't be going to the DOminican Republic for our Honeymoon. feck know..

When reading this just remember this is what happened to me and a few others not neccessarily what your experience will be like. If your a married maybe 40+ old or retired couple you might have a fabulous time, but parents taking your daughters please watch them all you can. These man are sleazy and they'll make your daughter feel like a million dollars and tell her anything to get what they want. When Alchohol is free flowing and out goes the wits...

Samantha

Damn, you really can tell this woman has never slept with anyone else. Having sex with a stranger does not mean you will have AIDS. If the girls used protection, mostly likely than not, they are ok....take a deep breath and relax lady. I think maybe you should sleep with another guy before you get married, you sound very uptight and inexperienced. The two girls were young and they just wanted to have a good time. Don't bash them for having a good time just because you didn't.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
Voice,

Don't bash her because she has her own values. She might be a little up tight, but don't ask her to sleep with any man that walks. You don't know what could happen to you even if you do use protection. It might break and rememder its only 99.99% affective, that 1% might be her unlucky mistake. If she wants to sleep with a another guy then go for it, but I think its better if you know the person frist.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
RP23 said:
Voice,

Don't bash her because she has her own values. She might be a little up tight, but don't ask her to sleep with any man that walks. You don't know what could happen to you even if you do use protection. It might break and rememder its only 99.99% affective, that 1% might be her unlucky mistake. If she wants to sleep with a another guy then go for it, but I think its better if you know the person frist.

And I could cross a street and get hit by a car or my plane could crash on my next trip to DR. Does that mean I should never leave my house because there is a 1% chance of something happening to me. You can't live your life in a bubble.....well, maybe she can.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
I understand what you are trying to say, but really all those things like getting hit by a car, the plane crash, how about 9/11. These things are unavoidable. Lets get serious. She had a chance to avoid that unlucky mistake if she didn't do it. That 1% counts. Voice I don't live in a bubble; I take risk everyday, but if she feels that way then let her be.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
RP23 said:
I understand what you are trying to say, but really all those things like getting hit by a car, the plane crash, how about 9/11. These things are unavoidable. Lets get serious. She had a chance to avoid that unlucky mistake if she didn't do it. That 1% counts. Voice I don't live in a bubble; I take risk everyday, but if she feels that way then let her be.

In all honesty, I really don't care what she does. To each it's own. I just didn't like that she was criticizing other people for what they did.

Sep 19, 2005
voice..I think she alluded that the two girls did soemthing they didnt know they were doing..that they regretted and daont know how it happened...ie maybe they were drugged...we have heard that story line before.

it wasnt like they were 2 gilrs out having as much fun as possible

...but then again this is just one persons view...we add it to the pile. As time goes by we will see what pile gets bigger......I really am glad i am a guy...I had to lsiten every guy that i walked by try telling me he was gods gift to women, and that i will regret it the rest of my life if i dont go right now and have sex with him...

it is just amazing that , it must work on some of the girls enough, that it is their schtick now days...bnecause if it didnt work they wouldnt use it..... they eventually gravitate to what works

or they have refined the use of dopping to an art!!!!!!!!

bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sammyeire said:

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the hotel that you chose. Just one thing, the town of Cabarete is actually quite a fun place to hang out and I would hate to see that the town gets a bad name, whereas this is actually a bad hotel review.... If you stayed in town somewhere, you would have seen probably some of the same things, would have had vendors trying to sell you stuff, and men trying to pick you up, but not nearly as pronounced as it is inside a AI.

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
But Chris, her dream was to stay at the resort you don't ever need to leave because everything is inside, prepared, created just for tourists - my worst nightmare

it is very difficult to have great time on vacation while having that kind of attitude, unless of course you have a lot of money

i sometimes think people are wrong to expect everything to be perfect on their vacations, yes i understand they pay money but think about your day to day life, is everything perfect? does everything go smoothly everyday? why do we expect that on vacation?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
amanacer said:
But Chris, her dream was to stay at the resort you don't ever need to leave because everything is inside, prepared, created just for tourists - my worst nightmare
Yes, I know what you are saying... I never could go for this dream myself. Here in the DR I learnt that many people want simply that. They want to take their two weeks or whatever, and just be catered to, and entertained for the period. Surely there is a space for that?

Unfortunately what I also learnt, is that the AI's sell the dream, but they do not always deliver. And there's the rub! The dream is shattered.

A confession --- I speak at least once a year of going to an AI for a few days, lie in the sun, be catered to and so on.... But I've never managed to do it.... I can accept however that others may find this a good thing for their vacation. You cannot beat the package prices if you're in a 'normal' kinda job and just want to relax for the few weeks that you're on vacation.

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
I found the original post a bit disturbing. There is an obsesssion and fascination with these German girls and their experience with Dominican men - - reads to me like the poster's own anxieties are the main topic. Also the references to "them" and all the typical cliches about latin men are, to be honest, a bit offensive.

I'm not surprised by the bad hotel review - - though I think if you go to DR for good animation shows, you are setting yourself up for a bad trip.

I just don't understand how you could travel to Cabarete and not marvel at the beaches, the windsurfing, the laidback vibe, the beauty of the place, the climate, the people, etc. It sounds like the poster went to the DR to watch animation and observe the sankie scene. Perhaps she should have taken some time out to do more than drink, got to the bar, wait for animation shows, and hang out in the resort.

Hope she spreads the word so that others looking for the same things will avoid DR, leaving it to more tolerant, curious, and patient folks.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
I agree

I have to agree with the above post. It seems like the lady is obsessed with the sexual aspect of life in the DR, spends a lot of her time drinking, and probably does not speak Spanish either. Maybe the resort she stayed at WAS crap, but this report lacks objectivity.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
jmsunlinenet said:
I have to agree with the above post. It seems like the lady is obsessed with the sexual aspect of life in the DR, spends a lot of her time drinking, and probably does not speak Spanish either. Maybe the resort she stayed at WAS crap, but this report lacks objectivity.

I agree with you, all she doing is complaining about how much she hated the Dominican men.