Yo no speake Espanish!

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
Ok...y'all now how every country has it's own "dialect"...well I want to know some Dominican Spanish! You know...like..."que lo que" and "bufeo" and "barbarasa"! Can someone tell me some of these exclusive words? And can someone also tell me what "ta' to" means, lol...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"que lo que" or "K lo K" = que lo que hay.....? sort of like whats happening???

"barbarasa" comes from barbaro (male) = barbarian. Barbarasa = bigtime barbarian in feminine term.

other street language / terminologies:

chuliando = kissing, making out

Jeva = cute girl
Jevita= cute young girl

Jevo or Jevito = young stylish guy

a po ta bien = all right then

cuero= slut or even prostitute

humo= state of intoxication (drunk)

rumo= rum

pequenia fria = small bottle of presidente beer

mi pana = my friend

viena = a thing

tigre = street wise guy or just any guy

tigrasa = a wise ass girl

ta to = esta bien = all right

se fue pa las palmas.... = young girl went away with an older
guy... you know for what?

No joda or no me jodas = don't bother me or don't f**k with me.

anyone wants to add more?

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
thank y'all so much!

I am so happy that you guys did that!! I'm going to be staying in DR for like 10 meses and I know that everybody ain't gonna be talkin' all formal...so I needed to know some slang! The only slang that I knew was que lo que and I have no idea where I got that from, lol. Y'all are the bomb!! :laugh: Thank u!!

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Dominicanismo

AZB said:

humo= state of intoxication (drunk)

viena = a thing

anyone wants to add more?

You mean " vaina", right ?

Oh, and the "humo" is pronounced "jumo" just like "harto".

Isn't it funny how Dominicans will drop the s's but insist on pronouncing the H's when it's supposed to be silent ? ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please check DR1 archives! There are many pages of "Dominicanisms"!

No need to "Re-Invent" the wheel here.This was a thread of many days,and many pages.Go take a look! Moderator

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: thank y'all so much!

jerseynegrita06 said:
I am so happy that you guys did that!! I'm going to be staying in DR for like 10 meses and I know that everybody ain't gonna be talkin' all formal...so I needed to know some slang! The only slang that I knew was que lo que and I have no idea where I got that from, lol. Y'all are the bomb!! :laugh: Thank u!!

Dominicanisms, just like ebonics, serves no purpose except to lower the standards of literacy. You are doing neither Dominicans nor yourself any service by using them.

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
Re: Re: thank y'all so much!

Tony C said:
Dominicanisms, just like ebonics, serves no purpose except to lower the standards of literacy. You are doing neither Dominicans nor yourself any service by using them.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just feel that learning a few slang words will help me to understand the people who live there (and the people in my corner store) better because they do not speak Spanish the same way it is taught in school. I'm not trying to lower the standards of literacy. Are you Dominican? I'm sure you know these words and that does not make you an more illiterate than a person who doesn't.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Re: Re: thank y'all so much!

jerseynegrita06 said:
Are you Dominican? I'm sure you know these words and that does not make you an more illiterate than a person who doesn't.

No I am not Dominican and I do know some of the words. I never use any of those words except for one...................CHOPO. Learn it. Don't be it!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Listen to Tony

Although I have a halfway decent grasp of the Spanish Language I decided some time ago that when I finally move to the DR, I am going to learn my "Dominican Spanish" from well spoken more affluent Dominicans and not from Chopos in the campo. Imagine if you wanted to learn English and had to learn it from some moron who has been hanging out on a street corner in Brooklyn for the past 30 years and then trying to converse and be accepted by more intelligent Americans. Apply that same concept to who you learn "Dominican" from and worry about the slang terms later. I assume you will pick up what you need as you go along.

Larry

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
EXCUSE ME!!
Everyone uses some form of slang. Even if its saying ya insteda of yes.
Unless your going to hangout all your life in a little gated community forever you have to learn some slang. Even the educated use the words vaina. And when your walking down the street and someone says something to you its a good idea to be able to understand it.
Just because you learn slang and can inderstand it dosne't make you uneducated. It makes you smarted and more able to fit in where ever you are.
You bunch of poopy pants you!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I know both,I use both!

And I know the difference! I once used the word "Cuartos" for "money" with a wealth Dominican.The moment it came out of my mouth I felt like a "Chopo"!Nothing wrong with knowing both,but you should learn "Good" Spanish,before you move on to Dominican Slang! "Everyone",does not use "slang"!As far as "Fitting In",Proper Spanish "Fits In" everywhere,"Slang" doesn't!Cris Colon

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
LOL criss colon...

"And I know the difference! I once used the word "Cuartos" for "money" with a wealth Dominican.The moment it came out of my mouth I felt like a "Chopo"!" criss colon

Man you are killing me. That was the funniest post I have seen in a long time.

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
help me!

Ok...I've been hanging around my Dominican family and pretending like I know what's going on, lol...laughing at their jokes and such. Now someone please tell me what I've been laughing at...I've written down some of the things I've heard...please excuse the spelling...

La creta
Tu 'ta pasa
pariguayo
palomo
no le de mente
cojelo suave
que bufeo
no te quille
pajaro
me tripiate
conjole
el diache
dimelo
que tira peo
degrasia or degrasiaita
malba or asarosa
y eh facil
tu si jode
cundango
mira cara de fuiche
que lokera
topao

Like I said...I can't spell...and some of these words I think I have an idea but I just want to be sure! Thanks in advance!

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Translation

La creta =La cresta, as in the rooster by its appearance, the lips major and minor of a vagina.

Tu 'ta pasa = Tu estas pasada, you area a smart ass
pariguayo=Pendejo in spanish, fool, idiot.
palomo=Jevo o pajaro, maricon
no le de mente=Get it out of your head, dont let it bother you
cojelo suave=take it easy
que bufeo=what a fun
no te quille=dont let it get you mad
pajaro=Maricon, faggot, homo, queer, etc
me tripiate= you made me trip, laugh
conjole=like conchole, for not saying "Co?o!!!!"
el diache= El Diablo, same not to say it full way
dimelo=say
que tira peo=pedorro, fart guy
degrasia or degrasiaita=desgraciadita, with bad attitude (fem)
malba or asarosa=same bad, mala
y eh facil= to refer something is not easy ( for dominicans mostly always)
tu si jode= you are a pain in the ass
cundango=male maricon, bugarron, fucks with guys
mira cara de fuiche=shit face
que lokera=crazy
topao=crazy, loco

Any question ask a foreigner.
GI
:bunny:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When is it appropriate to use the words " mucho and Tanto"

I've heard the word "tanto" in songs instead of mucho.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Tanto would be "so much".

Te quiero mucho = I love you a lot

Te quiero tanto = I love you sooooooo much

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
I have another question...when do we pronounce the b's like v's? Like when I say I have to go to the bathroom, I say...Me voy al va?o. Or when I ask if someone has a receipt I say...tiene recivo...and it was raining I say estava lloviendo...not estaba llobiendo...how weird!! So when do we use those pronunciations?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It always amazes me that someone would use very vulgar Spanish language,

...when they would never use the same vulgar language in their native tongue!If your "Dominican Family" uses some of those words,they are really from the lowest class!You will not be respected if you follow their custom! Cris Colon:confused: