Electritian looking for work...:)

Benni's Mom

Aug 14, 2003
Electrician looking for work...:)

Ok, so here's a loaded question--my hubby is an electrician, will he find work in the DR when we move there?! How much should he charge for his work? (He is a certified electrician, with about 8 years experience in the industrial field, as well domestic home stuff.)

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
WHERE are you going to?? The area is fairly important as to what jobs might be available & certainly on what rate to charge!! What is his Spanish like? Is work essential within the first 3 months of being here? VERY unlikely to find something immediately ANYWHERE in the DR right now!!!

I don't wish to be negative but it seems strange to ask this question now that you have made the decision to move here - have you made your plans fully & worked out a Back-Up plan (or two or three)?? - Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I know an excellent dominican electrician that's been out of work for a year. He gets by on bits and pieces as he is a good worker, as well as a good person. Employment in the DR currently is not easy, and the rates that you can earn, are not high. Listen to Bushbaby's words...

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
to give you an idea , I have a german trained electrician.
who charged 100 pesos per hour.
with the weak peso he is now thinking about increasing his rate
a little.

Benni's Mom

Aug 14, 2003
Don't worry about us!!

We are moving to the North side of the island, and we have friends there. Of course we didn't make this decision lightly--we've been coming to the island for 14 years. I'm not worrying about my husband finding work, I just thought I would put 'feelers' as to how much anyone knows on this board (as opposed to just our friends). I think that this is a different perspective. It's not weird that we've decided to move, and then are looking for work, we already have some work lined up. Thanks for responses, keep them coming. I appreciate all of your advice and comments on here...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to Santiago

I know some people that only work with the NEC. If hubby is a licensed electrician, he might find some interesting work.

HB

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Job prospects..

I think these people are saying that there may be work for your Licensed Electrician Husband but if he can work for as few $$$ as the locals will work...that is the problem..US Electricians are paid well I remember reading a post from a Tile Man who makes good US $$ in the US..He wanted to come to DR and work..The replies were aimed at letting him know the locals will work much cheaper than he can afford to work. One man wanted to come to DR and build his own home and wanted to know if he should bring his construction worker relatives to save money..The replies were something like..Doubt they will come and work for $100 a month like the locals work...or something like that..Check the archives...Good Luck to you in your move. Pam