Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
:nervous: :nervous: :nervous: After reading alot of bad reviews about the Sun Village Resort..I'm really nervous about our trip in October!
I've actually read some good ones too..but I could use some reassurance from anyone who knows about the resort. My husband says it doesnt matter, that the vacation is what you make it..but I really wanted it to be perfect. We are celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. We are from Pennsylvania in the U.S.
We are going Oct. 10th thru the 15th.
Any help will be appreciated.

rudy 25

Feb 10, 2003
I have heard good things about Sun Village. Whats the bad reviews that you have heard? Also, is there a detailed map of the Noth coast?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sun Village

consists of an old section (former Ocean palms Resort) and a new section up on the hillside. The only negatives I have read have to do with getting an economy room in the old section (I guess the money didn't go into refurbishing the old rooms) or with the number of stairs in the new section (because it is on the side of a hill). Other than that the reviews have been quite good IMHO.

Regarding a North Coast map, here is a link to the best one I have found:
http://www.bocachicabeach.net/images/maps/map_north_low2.jpg

Have fun.

Gregg

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
Rudy,
On the web site: www.tripadvisor.com, I read some negative reviews about the Sun Village. After reading further, the good outweigh the bad. I am looking forword to the trip, we've never been to the DR before.

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
Greg,
Thanks for the imput. I appreciate it.
Now, can you tell me what type of clothes to wear?? I'm sure shorts are okay, but are there nights that dressing up is required?
Ann Marie

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ann Marie,

I have not yet had the pleasure of staying at an all-inclusive (heck, even a hotel) while in the DR. However, regarding your question as to what to wear....

Ladies in the DR would probably NOT wear shorts unless they were headed to the beach and home again. Flip-flops (or thongs, depends on your location) are also not--how should I say this?--culturally appropriate for daily attire, unless you are schmoozing around your room or headed to the beach.

I'm no expert, but have "gone native" in this respect. When travelling in the DR, I wear nice jeans and a top, or a nice skirt and top, and have even worn very dressy clothes for certain occasions. For the beach, I dress way down..I have never been hassled as a tourist, and always feel extremely comfortable and not out of place or a target for an easy buck.

This is YOUR vacation and YOUR anniversary, so please, wear what makes you feel comfortable, beautiful. If that is shorts, go for it. It will scream "tourist"...unless they are linen/cuffed/ creased/ironed, tucked in with a nice belt and sandals. Shorts on ladies are ok if they are like that...

At night, dress nicely, wear some lipstick, and have fun.

My two cents--again, I have never stayed at hotels/AI's.

Happy 28th anniversary!

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
Main girl,
Thanks soo much! I need any/all the advise anyone is willing to give.
Are you at all familiar with the Sun Village Resort's location? Is downtown Puerto Plata far from it?
Also, can you give me a heads up on a good night club there?
Thanks,
Ann Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.