`JFK to North Coast

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
American Airlines must be feeling a lot of competitive heat in the STI market! There "regular" prices from JFK to POP are $514.00 US, and from JFK to STI it's $318.00 US, a difference of almost $200.00 US. Cab fare from STI to Puerto Plata is $55.00 and from POP to Puerto Plata is $20.00, so for anyone going to Puerto Plata it is well worth the longer cab ride and extra $35.00 cab fare and fly into Santiago rather than Puerto Plata!!
John

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
johnsr

Cab fare is more like $30 usd from STI to Puerto plata and $10 usd from PPO to Puerto Plata.

Larry

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
The reason for the cheap flights is Aeromar started to fly STI - POP.

I was planning a trip down in Novemeber and I saw Aeromar in a search. The Good thing about flying into STI is you can book a 6:00 AM or 10:30 AM Flight. Out of POP you onlly get the 12:00 Noon Flight. (Maybe Aeromar will start flying JFK-POP)

You can also fly back out of POP at 5:00 PM for less of a savings.

So I figure the difference pays for at least half a rental car for a week or a few nights at Eddy's with Dessert.

I just dont't get the quality of life issue - Is it the road from STI - Sosua - If it is I agree fasten the belt and keep you eyes on the road.

Regards.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Cab fare is more like $30 usd from STI to Puerto plata and $10 usd from PPO to Puerto Plata.

Larry, I checked with the cabbie I use, Martin Espinal his price was $55.00 US for the 90 minute ride. I have always paid $ 20.00 from the airport to Playa Dorado.

Scott; QOL issue???????
John

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
johnsr said:
Larry, I checked with the cabbie I use, Martin Espinal his price was $55.00 US for the 90 minute ride. I have always paid $ 20.00 from the airport to Playa Dorado.

Scott; QOL issue???????
John

Johnsr,
I always haggle down to around the prices that I stated. I know I will never get Dominican prices but I get as low as I can. I noticed that if you go to a cab stand and there are a bunch of the drivers there you will never get one of them down very far ( because the other ones will get pissed off and say to him later " why did you give the gringo such a good price?") but if you get a cabbie alone, he will come down quite a bit because if you walk away he knows he gets nada.
Works for me.
Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Barry said:
The reason for the cheap flights is Aeromar started to fly STI - POP.

I was planning a trip down in Novemeber and I saw Aeromar in a search. The Good thing about flying into STI is you can book a 6:00 AM or 10:30 AM Flight. Out of POP you onlly get the 12:00 Noon Flight. (Maybe Aeromar will start flying JFK-POP)

You can also fly back out of POP at 5:00 PM for less of a savings.

So I figure the difference pays for at least half a rental car for a week or a few nights at Eddy's with Dessert.

I just dont't get the quality of life issue - Is it the road from STI - Sosua - If it is I agree fasten the belt and keep you eyes on the road.

Regards.
I believe that Aeromar does fly NY/POP.

Quality of life issue is that I get off the plane and out of customs in POP and am in my Condo in 15 minutes if there is traffic. 8 minutes without traffic. Probably 1.25 hours from Santiago and difficult drive over the mountain or 1.75 hours taking the highway through Puerto Plata and that is each way. It would tire me out either way! I also only take direct flights from NY and never through Miami and Puerto Rico.

Much more relaxing to fly into POP and you don't lose the time and expense of the commute.

I can leave my car at AZB's in Santiago and take a cab to his house and head out from there but the drive is a big old pain in the ass.

Escott

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
I kind of had a feeling it was the Drive.

I could not get a flight back on Sunday from POP so STI here I come !!!