Hdtv

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If I buy an HDTV Monitor, can I use my Direct TV Satellite Dish and Receiver to receive the signal, or do I need to buy a special HDTV tuner?

I cannot receive a straight answer on this question anywhere, please help.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There are less than 10% HDTV channels on the satallite at the moment. To get HDTV you must get the HDTV receiver and antenna (LBN) from usa and make sure you pay for it legally and register it to an address in USA. Now the complication is that HDTV antenna (dish) is different for the regular 6 ft dish we use here. I think they use dual antenna and a elangated type dish but here, you would need the same shape dish but bigger. I am not sure if you can get the dish made here by the locals. This is the reason I have not seen HDTV in Dr yet.
"Notlurker" will be able to fill you in the details as I have never really worked with HDTV. I am only telling you what I know at the moment.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Thats too much effort for me, I just wanted a big screen TV with crisp picture. I knew that most channels are not broadcasted with HDTV signal anyway.

Would the monitor still work with my direct TV receiver (understanding that I would not receive any channel in HDTV mode)?

Will the picture be better than a normal TV or would it be the same?

Should I just get one of those Plasma screens?

Its all so confusing.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Forget Plasma they are too expensive, consume too much electric and last only 6- 8 years before the plasma breaks down. They are not worth the price if you are not going to get HDTV. besides HDTV in general will stretch the 4:3 picture of a regular broadcast to the rectangular HDTV format. This looks ugly and people seem short and fat with wide heads.
If you must get a HDTV then you would be able to see regular NTSC broadcast but I suggest to see it in 4:3 format. This way the picture will be proportional but you will see black bars on either side of the wide screen.
Now HDTV maybe fun to watch if you connect a DVD with progressive scan function. This function makes a regular DVD to double the scanning lines to give you an artificial HDTV image.
I have watched movies on (16:9) wide format on DVD on HDTV with progressive scanning function and they look great.
Other than that, HDTV will be a waste of money in DR.
I suggest you buy a digital TV with the biggest flat screen tube available. you will be very impressed with the image quality if you connect it to DSS in DR. Make sure you connect it via S-VHS cable.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Right now I have Direct TV (with pirated card) on a 32 inch flatscreen TV, and the picture is great. This is in my bedroom. Downstairs right now I have an old 19 inch TV, and this I wanted to replace with a big screen as posted above. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I want to get a TV or big screen larger than 40 inches, but everything seems to be HDTV now for this size.

Will I get a crisp picture with one of these 48 or 52 inch rear projection HdTV monitors?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you must get a rear projection TV then get Mitsubishi. It has a solid projection tube with hi-contrast and will last you for years without degrading much.
I don't like rear view as much anymore because you never really get a very sharp picture, scanning lines are quite visible, if you are not viewing it at a head level then the pictures becomes dull, convergence can go off etc.
It would be a bitch to transport it here without damaging the unit somewhat.
I still suggest, get a 40 inch picture tube monster and you will be very impressed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Mitsubishi once had a 40 inch picture tube TV. But that was a few years ago.
Get yourself a HDTV which is wide and see the video in regular format. Or just get a digital 36 in flat screen. that seems big and very sharp. The digital Tv will let you see a video like a PC monitor, no visible scanning lines.