UK Cost Of Living.. You Want To Know?

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
This post is, I guess an addition to the thread that I have already started 'A few residency questions from the UK' but after careful consideration I decided that it deserved it's own thread.

It came to me during my last post that perhaps we (in the UK) take for granted that people from elsewhere in the world, or indeed people that have not been resident in the UK for some time actually dont know what it is like here and dont have an idea on the true cost of living. Well I hope to put a stop to all that with this thread!

Detailed below are some examples of exactly how much it costs to live here in the UK TODAY! For ease of purpose I have converted all amounts in to RD$ Peso's at a conversion rate of One Pound to Fifty Pesos.

Average Annual Salary (Source HM Inland Revenue 2003)
RD$ 1,134,650.00

Less Tax and N.I @ 30%

Net Annual income RD$ 872,807.00

Monthly Net Income Average

RD$ 72,733.00

Not a lot eh? And many people don't even make that! (or anywhere near)

Expenses

Average 4 Bed Detached property in the North of England on a 0.12 acre plot unfurnished but with carpets and light fittings

RD$ 12,500,000.00

Mitsubishi Shogun (Montero) 3.0 V6 SE (no Leather) 2 Years Old 20,000 Miles RD$ 975,000

Car Insurance (Based on two cars) RD$ 7,500 (Monthly)

Electricity, Gas, Water RD$ 7,000 (Monthly)

Home telephone inc. ISDN RD$ 4,000 (Monthly)

Mobile Phone Bill (Each Phone) RD$ 4,500 (Monthly)

Property Tax RD$ 6,000 (Monthly)

Satellite TV Subscription RD$ 2,250 (Monthly)

Gasoline RD$ 168 Per Gallon

Grocery Shopping (inc toiletries) RD$ 25,980 (Monthly)

One Pair Levi Jeans RD$ 2,500

One Pair Nike Air Trainers RD$ 5,000

Cigarettes RD$ 250

Bottle Of Beer (In a Bar) RD$ 135

Nice Meal For Two With Wine RD$ 5,000

And the list goes on, and on, and on, and..............................

Oh, and incase you didn't know we have an education system that's nigh on defunct, a Health service that is free of charge (not really that's why we pay N.I.) that might be able to tell you what's wrong after its too late, spiraling crime and a huge upturn in violent crime, robbery and drug use (in the city nearest to me, Nottingham there are on average 5 shootings a day and GUNS ARE ILLEGAL!!!)

I really can't write any more, not because there is no more to write, I could go on about the 'Nanny State' we live in where big brother watches your every move (there was a report in the paper today that the government intends to install a computer into every car that will report you if you exceed the speed limit or park illegally! Already if you get caught speeding more than 3 times in 3 years you lose your license for 12 months!) But if I did go on I would doubtless depress myself beyond the point of no return and maybe some readers as well! I am not saying that things are any better in the DR or anywhere else in the world today?K?Kperhaps other countries just have different problems, but hey at least you have the sunshine most mornings! :cool:

Nick

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Should I commiserate with you or feel relieved that I don't live in England? Hard to say.

You are right, we tend to take things for granted, but then again the people posting on DR1 are nowhere nearly as bad as the poorest ones in our country. If you compare the poorest people in they UK they would not be as bad as the poorest here. So there you go, feel better now?

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Pib, good point, well made....but,

You are right of course....but are you?

I had the terrible misfortune of finding myself at Kings Cross Station in London about three months ago, around there people were scavenging for bits of cardboard and plastic sheeting to make themselves a bed for the night....... so far I havent seen this in the DR (although I am sure it goes on, but maybe the beach is a nicer place to stay than the road side near Kings Cross?)

Another observation that I have made during my travels in the DR is that even the poor people (Job in a resort or similar about 3-4,000 pesos a month income) seem a whole lot happier with their lot than most of the poor people over here. To clarify the point on my last visit I made good friends with a dominican family who lived in a two room concrete block with no running water intermittant electricity and a toilet outside that doubled up as a shower (Bucket and cold water over the head) yet they seemed pretty happy with what they had and indeed it seemed were quite proud of their belongings. On the other hand I know a family here in the UK who have the misfortune of not having a job and they live in a comparatively comfortable 3 bedroomed Semi payed for by the tax payer with all the amenities that you would expect in a first world county......oh and of course they get enough social security between them to enable them to run a car and go to the pub twice a week as well as never having to even think of going hungry! but they are NOT HAPPY they bitch all the time about how fortunate everyone else around them is and how unfair life is etc, etc, they have no pride in themselves let alone their possesions...... and this is the thing you see.... our whole society is based on this kind of consumerism that makes people ill and depressed if they havent got the best of everything, it destroys the will of those that, due to education or ability, can never achieve a higher social status and it destroys the family life of those that can by making them work so hard they are dead at fifty! NO BALANCE AT ALL and this is why I have got to get out of here!

Sorry for the rant...but it is how I feel and thanks pib for the commiserations! (and yes you should feel VERY relieved)

Nick

Dec 9, 2002
Hey Nick, I live in Basingstoke, work at 2 jobs but still earn less than your quoted average annual salary. However, I live in a modest one bedroom flat - rented, because the minimum cost round here for such a flat is ?100K (impossible to get a sensible mortgage when you only earn ?20K, even if you could save enough for a deposit). Just over half my take home pay goes on rent, electricity, gas, water and council tax. The rest goes on food, running a car, phone/internet, going out maybe once a week, with the balance being saved for my 2 visits per year (3 if I'm really lucky) to DR.

People around me think I'm lucky because I have 2 holidays a year. Luck doesn't come into it. It's down to hard work and relatively frugal living.

Anyway, I agree with your comments about consumerism here - most people here aren't happy unless they have the same material things as their neighbours. And people do get stressed out trying to get these things. From what I have seen of life in DR, such stress is non-existent. People seem happy with their lot in life, probably because most people around them have no more than they do themselves.

Maybe it's a case of what you've never had you never miss?

BTW I think this thread will be closed soon - it isn't really DR related is it? Hey ho.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Now I know why I left the UK 12 years ago.

Being poor is a relative issue. The difference between here and the uk in my opinion is that people are poor in the pocket here, not so much poor in the head.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for letting us know how good we really have it

The other day I was informed by someone that "our family is considered to be very rich." I asked , "How on earth can they say that?"

The answer was so simple: "You eat very well and feed a lot of people..." I had never thought about it....

Some of us don't know how fortunate we are...

HB

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Good points

Dominican Babe, I really feel for you. I know so many people just like you, more than one job, work followed by work followed by work and for what? a bigger TV and a faster car? I class my self as really fortunate, I make nearly four times the average and still I dont have enough to make me happy....but then thats the point isnt it? In the UK we can never have enough.

Robert and Hillbilly thanks for your comments, I hope that what I am telling you here will help you and others like you realise just what you do have and what makes people like me want a different life in the DR.......after all material wealth from a UK perspective is not real wealth at all is it?
Btw...why is your family so big Hillbilly...dont you have a TV? Maybe I could Fed-Ex you one over?;)

One more thing...please Mrs Moderator...dont close this thread, I think that it has some positive merits for people living in the DR who might just have lost touch a little, and you never know a Dominican reading this with aspirations of moving to the UK could be put off by this 'doomster'!!:)

Nick

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola nickkieswetter!!!!!

Its Mr. Moderator, for now. My wife is back in NY, caring for my Mom during her time on earth, what?s-left.

I checked this thread when only 6 people had viewed it. I am from the U.S., so if you want to post WHY you want to move to the DR, that?s relevant enough for me, as long as it doesn?t get personal, like a 2nd grade play-ground, whether other people agree or not, only Rob & Dolores, have the final say so. Even if you don?t come, you obviously needed to let off some steam, so get too it, my friend. We can do a comparision too the DR, to keep it relevent. Consider it no co$t, therapy.

As bad as some of the Doomsayers say it will be for you. I say do it, if you want to, you will make new friends, experience a new lifestyle, and maybe find what your looking for, or yourself. Just do your homework and be prepared, with an escape plan.

As far as, how much you earn & own (OWE).
It?s not how much you have, or how many of your Material items, you own, that possess you. It comes from within. And that is universal, not unique to the Dominican Republic.
If you can?t find happiness with 1 peso in your pocket, you won?t find it, with a 100,000. Pounds either. Yes things will be easier for you to obtain, but will you be truly happy?
Only we can decide for ourselves.

Want not go to the link below
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!
And Scroll down to?
MOVING to the DR
And check out how & why, some of us came, too be here!!

1, If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

2, If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep . . . you are richer than 75% of this world.

3, If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace . . . you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

By the way?
DR1 has---
Members: 3,776, Threads: 23,934, Posts: 145,891

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

And of course---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Please, tell us some more about your self, and why your choosing the DR.

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Dominican Babe, I really feel for you. I know so many people just like you, more than one job, work followed by work followed by work and for what? a bigger TV and a faster car?
No, no, no, no, no! I have a modest 21" TV and a VCR (no DVD or home theatre system), and I have recently splashed out on a PC (the first I have ever owned in all my 46 years!!!). I just about manage to run a 14 year old Ford Fiesta (which at the moment I am considering getting rid of because of the cost). My second job is purely to finance my trips to the DR.

Nick, you are indeed a very fortunate man. If only I earned even half as much as you, I would be in the lap of luxury.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
There is also the aspect of looking at another culture with fresh eyes. If you read alot of the posts here you will find plenty of complaining and discontent. That's human nature, to be discontented with your lot - "the grass is greener" syndrome. I'm approaching 60 and dreaming about relocating to Sosua from NY one day. No only will my money go 20 times farther there and the miserable winter be history, but I will have the thrill of starting a new life and looking at my surroundings with a fresh perspective. I think there's probably as much materialism in the DR, it's just that when you have less, you naturally appreciate things more. Will Rogers said of the US that "this is the only nation that will go to the poorhouse in an automobile".

I'm a fairly happy and contented person at this point in my life. I am able to enjoy simple pleasures, even though I can afford a few luxuries. I'm looking forward to enjoying a culture where simple pleasures are even more valued. - D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
1/2 of nearly nothing is nothing

Dominican Babe said:

Nick, you are indeed a very fortunate man. If only I earned even half as much as you, I would be in the lap of luxury.

If he is quoting his income (RD$1,134,000) it's only about US$35,000 a year. 1/2 of that is the lap of luxury in Haiti maybe.

Dec 9, 2002
If he is quoting his income (RD$1,134,000) it's only about US$35,000 a year. 1/2 of that is the lap of luxury in Haiti maybe.
Read the thread again Rick. He is not quoting his income as that - he is quoting the UK average annual salary as that. I reckon Nick earns somewhere upwards of ?80K ($120 US).

Maybe that's not much to you, but like I said, if only I earned half that much . . .

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
In the end, that's all that matters

Danny W said:

I'm a fairly happy and contented person at this point in my life. I am able to enjoy simple pleasures, even though I can afford a few luxuries. I'm looking forward to enjoying a culture where simple pleasures are even more valued. - D

Way to go!

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Jeez...now I feel worthless!!!

Ricktoronto,

After reading your posts on my other thread and this latest one, exactly how much money does someone need for you to consider them not poor??

Thanks Dominican Babe for pointing out my actual income to Rick, not that it matters one little bit though!

Rick, people make of life what they can....you dont HAVE to be rich to be happy......maybe you are rich but from your posts you sound quite unhappy to me.

Nick

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Life is what you make it...

I have found that all the money and materialistic things make a person forget what "life" is about...Keeping up with the Jones' did not work for me so I came to Georgia to the country..Now I am coming to the DR. Nick I understand how you feel, lived that life before..Now I have a humble life and could not be better. Taxes, upon taxes etc..You can never be rich enough to make you happy. GET THIS:::I swear my Dominican husband told me when I met him and he had $10 in his pocket...Said he never felt poor in his life as he never went hungry..(He is Dominican) In Orlando Fl he went to take me to lunch on our first date with $10 in his pocket....He lived in a rented room $55 a week drove a 1987 Ford Crown Vic that I swear had no bumpers, dash board was covered in Leopard cloth..TACKY..But he was poor and seemed happier than all the Mercedes driving winches I hung around! He ate everyday at a Dominican run place "Lechonera" in East Orlando and took me there for lunch with his $10.. I left my Iranian Husband and 5 star restaurant to have a MUCH poorer but fuller life and have helped more people in the past 6 years because I have so much and feel I should help others..People do not get it..(I am in the lower 25% income wise in the US I believe..I am "poor" $$$ wise...but feel very rich..)My neighbor came over crying one day because she said her husband was complaining about bills...A big screen TV, Boat, pool table, tanning bed.. etc..and these people are miserable..I do not even have Cable TV and a 19" TV is all I have. No stereo/DVD/VCR nothing..Just amazing how when you finally "Get it" these things just disappear from your "needs". I had a 52" TV DSS etc..Not even missed it in 6 years! The Dominican Republic has a way of drawing people who want a simpler life, worry of a different nature than hussle and bussle..Glad to see most people have the same thoughts! :) Pam

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
At last an understanding voice

Pam,

Thanks for your more than eloquent reply, I think that maybe my materialistic lifestyle has left me devoid of emotion to such an extent that I am unable to express my views here with enough empathy to be truely understood by some people. So I thank you for your insight into how I am thinking. Maybe it takes someone like yourself, in the situation that your in, where you have seen the 'other side of life' to understand?

For everyone else, I couldnt list here the number of material things that I own right now.......and I am in the top earning bracket here in the UK but alas no happiness......I think the comments by Mr Timex are some of the best that I have read in a long time (the ones in bold type - btw sorry to hear about your mother-in-law hope she's ok) I figure this, if I took 200K Sterling to the DR and recieved no interest at all and lived another 50 years then my income monthly in Pesos (just using the capital) would be 16,666 peso's a month...not enough I hear you cry (your right but this is just a silly example) now if you take the average poor persons income (resort worker etc, the kind of people whom I have associated with many times, had dinner by the river on a sunday while we washed our cars etc or rode horse back through the mountains.....) as 5,000 peso's a month I would be three times better off finacially without lifting a finger to work!

Ok, so its a silly example...but true in many way's also.....Even I dont want to live quite like that, but just a little better will do (running water, electricity and a car)

So, I say again, if I wanted my UK lifestyle in the DR I would NOT BE GOING!! I have that here.....I want less, much less and hopefully thats what I am going to get!

Nick

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you want "Less" you are coming to the right place!!!!!

You will not be disappointed!!! The guy who earns 5,000 pesos a month has a "Support System" in place! He lives with "family Members",doesn't pay for food or rent.If he gets a "tooth ache",the dentist will pull his tooth,if he gets sick,he stays sick until "God" heals him,or "Takes Him To Heaven"!His kids will not be educated,or have any health care! Sounds like a "Great Life",RIGHT???The reason these people are so "Happy" is because they don't have anything to do but Eat,drink,dance,and make more babies,so the "Cycle Of Misery" can go on!!! I will give Dominicans credit for one thing,they can sure have a good time with no money,or future!
You will sing a different tune when you have no electricity,no water,people stealing your furniture when you are not home,try to get any "Paper Work" done at a government office.
It is a lot of fun to go "Camping" for a week in the mountains,free,relaxing,leave your cares and worries behind,but it is no way to live,"Full Time"!
Are you running from something,or to something? Ask yourself that!
Cris Colon

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Neither running to or from....

Cris,

The point I was trying to make was somewhat mute, I wont have 5,000 Peso's I wont have 16,000 Peso's I will have about 300,000US at 12% P.A wich is 3,000 US a month or 93,000 Peso's at today's rate.......
This is considerably less than I have here in the UK, I was however trying to make the point that I can be happy with less than here......especially if Dominicans can be happy with so much less than even that!

Nick

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
You will be just fine..

I am sure that many people live on less than you will be in the DR. I was given the sum of $2,000 US to live VERY WELL..My mother in law flies to New York 1/2 year said $1,000 you live VERY well so who knows until you try! :) Maybe see you in the DR.. Look for Me on a good looking well fed horse..I may not be able to afford a car...LOL if you can not live on your money there I can afford to live with mine and it is much less than yours! :) Pam

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
An Interesting thread!!!

Many of us here have less income than we used to have in our countries of origin BUT have a much better life style!! By having LESS, we have a LOT MORE! Our values change to encompass our fellow man (or woman as the need takes us) & our compassion & understanding of others increases greatly. Heck, I even go round helping people these days & I was always a 'Scrouge' in the UK!! I would suggest that 90% of the Ex-Pats who live here are HAPPY to be here (why else would they stay) & most of them have come to accept the culture of the country & live with it quite happily!!

Come on in Nick - the water is lovely & warm!!!! - Grahame.
PS. Thanks for the update on prices in the UK - it will come in very handy when I come back for a couple of weeks to see my Mother!!Petrol at RD $180 Gallon???? I can see I shan't be driving around much!!!! - GB.