"Pruebas Nationales" National Proficiancy Tests,for Highschool Students!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Government was touting the fact that "scores"had been improving! Well,now I know why!! First you have to ask yourself,"Where Am I?"If your answer is "The Dominican Republic", you have to see where "Fraud/Cheating/Patronage are involved! My wife is taking the "Tests" this week.Today she said that when everyone finally got seated(2 hours late!) The students took up a"Collection" for the "Professor" so that they were allowed to use their notes,and reference books during the exam!!!!"What A Country"!
She has struggled to finish highschool over the last 5 years,going nights,and Saturdays and Sundays too! (and having two babies,and one on the way!)She needs a highschool diploma to get her college degree.She has completed 1/2 of her college work,but you can't get the degree without having graduated from highschool.When she started the highschool program,she was told by a "director" that she could skip the work,and go "Directly to Graduation",for 6000 pesos! (Dominican Affirmative Action Program!!!)I told her "NO"! I would not repeat that mistake today.
In a country where it is common practice to "Lie,cheat,and steal"is a hardworking,honest person at a disadvantage??????????

I guess my children will be the proof of that "Pudding"!!!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Wow......

CC Your wife is a good woman..All the kids..YOU and school! Man she is too good my friend...I would have left you by now..LOL KIDDING ABOUT THAT..But congratulate her for her hard work...That is tough! Sorry everything is about a payoff..Causes the whole country to lose in the end..:( Pam

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
In a country where everything is difficult,

Criss Colon said:
She has struggled to finish highschool over the last 5 years,going nights,and Saturdays and Sundays too! (and having two babies,and one on the way!)She needs a highschool diploma to get her college degree.She has completed 1/2 of her college work,but you can't get the degree without having graduated from highschool.When she started the highschool program,she was told by a "director" that she could skip the work,and go "Directly to Graduation",for 6000 pesos! (Dominican Affirmative Action Program!!!)I told her "NO"! I would not repeat that mistake today.
In a country where it is common practice to "Lie,cheat,and steal"is a hardworking,honest person at a disadvantage??????????

Determination like that is to be admired. See what I mean about women? We rule!

Apr 26, 2002
Why not just pay $6000 pesos to the university director instead to forget the high school diploma requirement. You have to negotiate, man. How many years have you lived in the DR and you still don't know how to get things done.

Conchale, it only cost me RD$35,000 for my medical degree, and that was two years ago when the peso was worth something.

P.S. Oops! Who knew that brain surgery would be so difficult?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Todo es para venta !

Criss Colon said:
When she started the highschool program,she was told by a "director" that she could skip the work,and go "Directly to Graduation",for 6000 pesos! (Dominican Affirmative Action Program!!!)I told her "NO"! I would not repeat that mistake today.

I guess my children will be the proof of that "Pudding"!!!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Makes me wonder how many "Licenciado/a", "Ingeniero/a" on people's business cards all over the place were bought with money.

What's the going rate for a UMPHU Ph.D ? Might not hurt to add that to my card though the extra ink to print that probably costs more than the degree itself ;)

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Why would she need a degree when she's already mejorando la raza?

-Jos?
But those who love me call me 'Joseito'

CC is soooo predictable that I bet he will say something like, "see what I mean?"

Last edited:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Those tests are a joke. If people would stop cheating on them, or teachers would stop giving out the answers, like they did for my Science test 5 minutes after testing started, the tests would do what its creators intended them to do. The tests were easy enough as it is but they screw up the testing, and 'they' is everyone who wanted the cheats. Now, for me, I studied my ass off for those tests, and not to hear a teacher saying the damn answers. That's why I finished every test other than science early. And I still passed. There's no merit in "passing" a test when you get the cheats for it, specially when someone like me studies for it and wants to earn the scores.

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Pruebas Nacionales?? Now??? Good luck to the bird!

I had the honour of observing those in a school. The
teachers that came in to supervise helped and let the pupils
use what they wanted to use to make the hole thing go a bit
smoother. When one of the teachers refused to help the kids,
they went to the "Dire" and complained. The teacher then had
to help as well... Made it fair for all I suppose.

Another teacher, a good friend of mine, told me ( more than a bit
ashamed ) that the reason was that in previous years the
results had been too poor and had to be improved. I suppose
poor results make teachers look bad. Also, if the external
teachers didn't help pupils, the teachers from "my" school would
not help pupils in other schools. It worked somehow. :)

It's said somewhere that failure does not come easily. It takes
hard work and careful, long term misplanning. Despite this help
some students actually managed to fail all their exams. One
mother came with her son to school ( the son was the worst
bully of them all ). Demanding that his son should get passes
instead. the "Dire" and the teachers but one gave in. Luckily
the last teachers refused ( WAY TO GO, GIRL! ) and had to
struggle with him for another year. :) She was blamed for being
a bad teacher and wishing the son so badly.

In their earlier exams, which I corrected as nobody else knew
much English or French, most failed apart from those who had
notes given by me ( I thought they'd actually use them to study,
not use them to cheat.. D'oh! ). I was asked to supervise and
make sure nobody talked, moved around or exchanged notes.
When I shouted to them that if they HAD to exchange notes,
they should at least make sure they got Randy's ( as they were
the only ones that were any good ) few heeded my advice as
nobody could here as there was so much shouting and
movement in class. :)

When the results were out, they complained and said the exam
was too hard. Ignoring the fact that they had been given all the
questions and answers on the blackboard the day before the
tests. Nobody had the ability to think 24 hours ahead and write
them down.. I was told it was so hard, that even the smartest
student in class had failed. Smartest? I wondered.. Who could
that be?? NN! He was 20 and had been in septimo for five years
and they all looked to him for help. I argued that if he had not
managed to squeeze through the narrow gates to octavo in 5
years, then maybe school was not for him. Nah, he was good
they said.. :)

So.. The hole exam thing worked a bit differently from what I'm
used to. Still,I was very fond of the kids and I really enjoyed my
time there. The teacher I helped with the languages was
excellent though...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I emigrated from the DR to the USA just prior to the start of my 6th grade....... I did not know a single word of English.......... I was well ahead of most students at a private Catholic school..... outperformed them in English and history that very first semester.....apparently, my DR education (back then) was good enough....the USA no longer ranks in the top 10 in international proficiency tests

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: how dare you?

FRANKY R said:
you guys are badmouthing the d.r. but what about the u.s. which is a super powerfull country ? almost every year about 80% of the kids fail their tests. so I don't think anybody here needs to bring this subject trying to put d.r. down ,. ok?

I defy you to site any statistic from a reputable source that can back that up!
In Florida less than 15% failed the FCAT. Out of that 15%, 90% were just lazy or JD's.
Just another Dominican who cannot handle the truth.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Want proof US schools need help...

Come to South Ga where it is unreal the lack of education going on here..My kids (2 of 3) are in Florida going to boarding/private school and Florida is not exactly better than Ga but maybe a little...The DR seems to lack in public education but I dare say some private schools I have been researching seem to be better than most schools in South Ga.....Just my 2Cents...I will soon find out when my son goes to DR Schools...Hopefully a good private one, even if it means I have to work to pay for it..:) Pam

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: how dare you?

FRANKY R said:
you guys are badmouthing the d.r. but what about the u.s. which is a super powerfull country ? almost every year about 80% of the kids fail their tests. so I don't think anybody here needs to bring this subject trying to put d.r. down ,. ok?

Dont just bandy about numbers like that man. If you have stats from a reputable source, then reveal it. Otherwise, leave the inflated numbers back from where you pulled this one.

Larry

By the way, Pam, stop telling us you need to get to 500 posts. Nobody gives a shit how many posts you have. Whats the difference?
Larry

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
USA is doing the same without bribes.

It was just on CNN last night that 80%of the kids failed regent math exam in a state or may be the whole country. I was not paying attention so I don't have the details. But I did hear that the board of education has issued a curve to pass the majority of students so they can graduate. Example: with the curve, if you got 48%, YOU PASS with flying colors.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Re: USA is doing the same without bribes.

AZB said:
It was just on CNN last night that 80%of the kids failed regent math exam in a state or may be the whole country. I was not paying attention so I don't have the details. But I did hear that the board of education has issued a curve to pass the majority of students so they can graduate. Example: with the curve, if you got 48%, YOU PASS with flying colors.

This was recently posted on CNN about MATH scores in the US - not sure what you are quoting.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/08/26/sat.scores.ap/index.html

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Like I said, i wasn't paying attention but I guess it happened in a state exam. This was on CNN yeaterday.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Re: Re: how dare you?

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
[B
By the way, Pam, stop telling us you need to get to 500 posts. Nobody gives a shit how many posts you have. Whats the difference?
Larry [/B]
HEY LARRY....
That is right..nobody gives..but me! My own personal way to bother people like you I guess......IT WORKS for me! DID I mention it??? I did NOT even say that on this thread...so take a pill man.......But glad you noticed..LOL :) Pam

Back to Education...US Test scores are probably doctored...No good scores = NO FUNDING!

Last edited:

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
thank you AZB

now I don't need to go back to get that info.
if you could be more expecific next time it will be even better.
I think that it might be somebody else that can't handle the truth hahaha.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: USA is doing the same without bribes.

AZB said:
It was just on CNN last night

AZB
What a Hippocrite. You Rant on and on here about how CNN never tells the truth and yet you are now posting info from CNN. Now wonder you can only make friends with those PRD Chopos.

Franky,
Talk about not handling the truth. The PN's are a farce. The DR education system is a joke. Cheating in the DR's schools is institutionalized. I have first hand experience. The cheating I experience while in college there was embarassing.
The public school system in the US needs help as well but do not even try to compare it to the pathetic system in the DR.
My wife is a teacher in a elementary school in Miami. An A school btw. The student body is 99% Hispanic. 67% are ESL. Many of her students are recent arrivals. She will tell you that the ones who are the least educated are the ones from Cuba and the DR. The press feed the masses with the story about the Sucess of the Cuban Education system. What a crock. The Dominican students are not much better. She can tell you stories about how the Dominican students get mad when they are caught cheating. She has even had parents complain to her about it. They cannot grasp the concept that cheating in school is wrong.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This thread is about the DR,not the USA!

Those of you who respond to the utter failure of the dominican educational system,both public and private(we are NOT talking about "Carol Morgan,St.Thomas.New Horizons" and their like here! Those cost thousands and thousands of US Dollars per year)by claiming that the same is true in the US are guilty of at least two things.# 1,Ignorance,and #2,sounding like the convicted wife beater who says that his neighbor beats his wife harder than he does!!!!! He is still a wife beater,and the DR still has no system to educate it's people!

Part of the problem is that many "Schools" charge the students by the class taken.If you "pass" computers 101,you then go on to "Computers 102,103,104,105",get the picture? Well,you always "pass" so that you will take,and pay for,the NEXT course!!!My wife went to 8 levels of "English" at an "English Learning Center",and learned absolutely "NADA"! But,she has a "Diploma" for the "successful" completion of each level! Soooooooo,"Cheat",or just be passed on without learning anything,the end result is the same,an uneducated populace!!! Just the way we like it!!! Lots of cheap labor to cook,clean,wait,dig,assemble,plant,weed,harvest,paint,wash,babysit,and last but certainly not least,"screw"!!!!!!!
cc

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Semantics

The paperwork I have to submit to insure the strict educational standards of the "blah-blah-blah of Education" (bbbE) are nothing more than makeup on a pig.

My tests (cuatrimestrales) have to be submitted and reviewed by the bbbE. Being my first go at it last year, I spent a solid 20 hours creating something to be proud of. Comprehensive, encompassing everything we had covered, from the class text to the literature I provided, nothing standard about it. There were multiple choice, essays and critical thinking problems put together. Much of it was built into the 'values' themes we worked towards as a school.

When I got my first tests back after being reviewed it was obvious to anyone that either:

1. The person reviewing them could not speak or read English (this is an English literature class).

or

2. Maybe they could read English and were just randomly crossing off questions to be eliminated. Which begs the question; "what's the point?"

There were questions that were built upon previous information in sections and the random elimination made it obvious that no care whatsoever was taken.

Also, once the test is presented to the student, they can eliminate two questions they don't want to attempt. That makes it pretty difficult to get a student to take a crack at an essay - thought provoking - question.

Going forward, the complicated and extrapolated process of tabulating grades gives every student the option (aka "excuses") to do nothing all year, then at the end of the year take a test and pass the class. That leaves a lot of wiggle room for unethical behavior to be conducted. "Hey, everybody's doing it".

My second go at it for the tests went smooth. They were never reviewed.

I'm not claiming to know anything about this country's educational system, but going by what I've seen, it's clear that the binder on the book of common sense is unbroken. As faulty as the States' system is, you're kidding yourself that there is a comparison.

So CC, I feel your pain.

"Too often we give our students answers to remember than problems to solve."

Roger Lewin