S?nchez Felix

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
He cruised easily into the final (400M hurdles) of the World Championships being held in Paris.

Let's hope he does as well in the final on Friday.

http://www.iaaf.org/WCH03/results/byEvent.html

Despite what some people think, he is a world class athlete.

What's questionable? His only connection to the Dominican Republic is that his parents were from here. The whole family has been in the States since before his birth.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Like many Dominicans born in the US he has double citizenship

if an American couple have a baby in germany, the baby automatically is an American, the same applies to Dominicans.

am i wright or wrong?

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Above all, he is what he chooses to be. Bob Hope was born in England from English and Welsh parents. The family moved to the US and went through the naturalization process. Bob is an American icon because he chose to follow his parents and remain American. So, if S?nchez chooses to be a Dominican first, it's his call, not anybody else's.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Evil.

There is a difference.
Bob Hope chose to be American and stayed in America. Was raised in the US and gave back to the US.
Sanchez was born and raised in the US. Gladly accepted all of the Benifits of the US. Was trained in the US(With my money I might add). Then Left the US for the DR when he didn't get the preferential treatement he wanted.
Kind of the like the Kid who goes home crying and takes his ball with him when he doesn't get to play the position he wanted.

Why do people insist on picking Jerks as role models for the kids?

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
I don't care for the man as a role model. I could take or leave the whole buzz that is going on around him. However, there is no "preferred" time to change your nationality. If he chose to do it now, and his reasons are selfish, so be it. Why try and hang on to him and say he is an American?

I mean, this case is an excellent example because of the irony. He is renouncing his American side over the Dominican side, which is something you don't see often. I am Dominican, but S?nchez's lack of diplomacy about the issue makes me laugh instead of making me proud. He wants to affirm his Dominican citizenship in a way that alienates his American citizenship? Fine by me. He could easily get away with both, but ultimately, it's his call. If he did it out of selfishness, it doesn't rob him of his right, in my opinion. If an American couple in DR had a child and the child grows up and finds he wants to be an American, so be it. I wouldn't feel any different about it than how I feel about Felix.

A good comparison would be between Alex Rodr?guez and Mary Jo Fern?ndez. Both were raised in the USA. Mary Jo says she doesn't feel like a Dominican at all (she was adopted by American parents). On the other hand, Alex says he is American, but at the same time feels close to his Dominican roots. It boils down to what each person wants.

Citing few exceptions (the issue is too old for me to look it up), the Dominican press and public have accepted Mary Jo's choice. Nobody refers to her with malice or anything else. F?lix should fall in the same place, sort of. If he ever wants to re-accept his American side, it's up to him as well. He may look like a childish fool, but it's his call.

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hey guys look who it is!!!

"Es el d?a m?s importante para m? y para MI PAIS", dijo S?nchez poco despu?s de la competencia. "Espero que los dominicanos est?n tan felices como yo". Felix Sanchez

"La final fue una guerra entre S?nchez y Mori, quien dijo: "me sorprendi? la rapidez de F?lix en los metros finales. Es un gran campe?n".

felix_sanchez_400m_b.jpg

Look at his chest. Who did he represent for the Panamericanos Santo Domingo 2003, USA or DR? No question about that, huhh? lol

There is one thing that we should all be cleared and it is that the boy knows where he's coming from.
______

bladeNYC
DR1, my new bARRIO:alien:

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Blade.

You have to ask yourself two questions.

1. Why does he wear that nameon his chest? It is not out of any patriotism or love of the DR.
It is about money. So why should a Dominican be proud of him?

2. Why didn't he make the US team if he is so good? Could the rumours and allegations be true?

There are lots of other Dominicans to be proud of and hold up as role models. Felix Sanchez is not one of them.

Tony C.

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
1. Why does he wear that nameon his chest? It is not out of any patriotism or love of the DR.

two questions for you TC:
1.How do you know it is not out of any patriotism or love of the DR?
2. How much do you think you know about "mi gentes"?

...A good analogy for you "mi amigo". Ask a typical Puerto Rican borned in NY with Puerto Rican parents, Where is he/she from? The most common answer you might get is "I'm American". Now, ask a Tipical Dominican with the same background similarities as the one we just mentioned. The answer will be "I'm Dominican, but I was born here" Do you noticed the difference? "patriotism" is what we have "in" us. No matter where we've borned or what.

It is about money. So why should a Dominican be proud of him?
If that is the case I will be foolish to be proud of some one with such qualities. By you mentioning "it is about money" doesn't mean it's a fact. That is your opinion which I'll have to respect. But you still have to remember, it is not a fact.

2. Why didn't he make the US team if he is so good? Could the rumours and allegations be true?
Ok, want to know how good is he? Why are we talkin about him " Felix Sanchez" right now? Look at his records and ask yourself why did the USA wanted him for the Panamericanos?

I personally think, he is not a role model. But there is something we should give him credit for, and it is his effort to be where is at right now.

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
DIABLO, Well said!!

If you can't beat us, why don't you join us? Celebrate our Dominicanidad with us. Try it, you might like it. Then again, if you have to be asked...

ROund of applause for Joeito, everyone. Thats what we call patriotism. In other words, being Dominican. "NO OFFENCE"

________
bladeNYC
DR1, my new bARRIO
:alien:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Blind faith

Joseito.

I have a low tolerance for "Blind Faith" whether is is in Religion or Star F*cking. I also have a very low tolerance for people who hold up others as role models just because of their ethnic Makeup or nationality.

There are very few Athletes or Celebrities who I would consider as any type of role model for children. Sanchez is a mercenary. Sammy is a cheat and a liar and Amelia is a model/beauty queen. Nice to look at but what good is she?

I can name many Dominicans who are excellent role models for the youth of the island and in the US. As far as athletes go Felipe Alou and Alex Rodriguez comes to mind.

What the DR needs are real role models that the children can look up to. Doctors, scientists, busnessmen..ect. People who worked hard in occupations that are realistic goals for the children. I have more respect for the person who started by selling oranges on the street corner, saved his moeny and now owns a Colmado than I will ever have for Sanchez, Sammy, Pedro or Amelia Combined.

When I bash people like those it is out of a desire to help. I could care less about Sanchez, Sammy and Amelia. I do care about the Youth of the DR and their influences. Call it a form of tough Love if you will.

Blade,

Perhaps you should do some research on Felix Sanchez and find out why he is not on the US team. Then you might not be so quick to defend him.

How long have you lived in the DR? Do you visit often? Do you do busness there? What have you done to help the DR?
I lived there for 6 years, I am married to a Dominican, I still visit 5 or 6 times a year(Not Enough for my tastes) I have opned and run businesses in the DR. I have worked for and supported many worthy causes in the DR. So yes...I know Tu gente!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jose?to said:

What I'm saying is very simple: let it be. Let us be.

Thats the problem. I can't and I won't. I care.
It infuriates me when a hear a child saying that Sammy was a victim. It infuriates me when I hear a child say that Felix Sanchez is a proud Dominican. It infuriates me when I hear a child say that Amelia represents the Dominican Ideal.
Charles Barkely was wrong when he said that he wasn't a role model. He is a role model by choice. He searched out the limelight by being a Professional athlete. I don't think Pro athletes should be role models but society dictates that they are. What is happening in the DR is happening around the world. Just look at O.J. Simpson. I see him all the time(He lives near me) and it disgusts me when I see parents asking to take pictures of their children with him. I have walked out of a restaurant, mid-meal, because I refuse to be in the same room with that murderer yet people get all gaah-gaah around him.
Some people in this fourm say that I am just a Dominican Basher. They forget the fact that this is a Fourm about the DR so they won't see me bash Americans or Cubans here that often. Trust me I was just as disgusted at the people who waited hours in line to see the body of Celia Cruz. She was talented and apparently a good person but she was just a singer. I prefer to stand for 3 hours in the rain at a vigil for those who gave their lives serving in Brigade 2506 or shiver on a cold january morning at a US WWII cemetary in Normandy. They were role models. They deserve my respect not a person who can run fast or hit a ball far or was considerd more attractive by a panel of B list celeberty judges.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Right On Tony

Not only are today's atheletes spoiled and pampered, but they are lousy role models.

For example, when I see baseball players driving to the practice field or game with $150,000 cars, while fans that make $8.00 per hours standing in line for tickets really makes me sick.

Everyone knows that they are rich, however, a little modesty and simplicity goes a long way.

Furthermore, "Professional" as defined in Webster's dictonary is someone who acts above and beyond the norms of society. Whether this be a professional accountant, doctor, lawyer, athelete etc.

Many professional atheletes do act in this manner ie. Wayne Gretzky.

I once was at a bar in Buffalo New York called the Pier, Bruce Smith was sitting with a whole entourage of hangers on, one Buffalo fan approached his table and politely mentioned that he was a great fan and if he could have his autograph, however, Mr. Smith threw a beer at the fan, this happened right in front of me(I didnt even know who he was, later my friend pointed this out to me.)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I'll just say that I agree with Tony and Fred. I think they expressed their views and made their points very well.

Oh, and Joseito met some baseball players.

Larry

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
By the way, I am one ugly son-of-a-gun. And as trailer-park trash like me say, "That'll learn you." Next time, fornicate with your cousin, or something.I know thats what I like to do!!!!!!!Now where'd I leave that "Long Neck?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jose?to said:
Tony C,

I used to think that with all the money you have you would not be bothered by the small stuff, but I was wrong.

A Tony quote:

"That stupid Sosa! Hell, I'll just go out and buy me another Lamborghini Murci?lago. That'll teach them Dominicans."

"That O.J. dude moving to Pinecr?? There goes the neighborhood! I'll just get me some more Matisse replicas (people who sweat the small stuff can't afford the real McCoy)."

-Joseito
Tony Cuban is my hero. Dallas Mavericks all the way. Go Cowboys!

If the morality of our children is "small stuff" then it is obvious where the problem starts.

Never said I was rich! I am comfortable.
Never would own a Lambo. Not my style. I am Alfisti.
Never would want a Matisse. I do have original art by no-name artists. I buy what I like not because of its price or Cache. I must admit I am trying to see if I can get Brito to paint my helmet. I like his stuff.

O.J. Doesn't live in Pinecrest. Even the limosine liberals in my neighborhood have some standards. Hell even Cocoplum didn't want him and they Take Anybody. Even that Idiot Canseco hated the people there. See I can bash Cubans as well!

BTW his name is MARK Cuban. Not much of a fan of "Ghetto Jump-Ball". Go FIN's, Go CANE's(Alma Mater), Go Rangers(pathetic huh?) Go Junky! Go Ryan! Go Leo!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jose?to said:
Larry boy, I've also met your sister. She wants to remind you that the child-support payments you owe her have not arrived; she may get evicted from the trailer-park.

By the way, your son/nephew is one ugly son-of-a-gun. And as your trailer-park trash sister says, "That'll learn you." Next time, fornicate with your cousin, or something.

Larry,

See why you can't debate a Liberal? Once they know they have lost the so called "Moral High-ground" they resort to name calling and insults.

Joseito,
You claim you love the DR and our proud to be Dominican. So why don't you help? Let people know that there are Dominicans that children can be proud of and follow. Athletes, Models, Actors and singers are not what children need to look up to. Doctors, Teachers, Engineers, businessmen and other ethical proffesionals should be held up as examples.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Tony,
I just posted in the insect thread that I stopped reading joseitos posts. He just goes around ruining one thread after another. Calling people Nazis and whatever he just posted about me. Just stupid nonsense. same old mierda.Why even respond to him ?

Larry

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jose?to said:
(and if I could drive a stick-shift)

That explains everything!

Joseito,

Get with the program dude. Don't you know that Real Men drive Stick. Nothing like a Long hot throbbing piece in your hand while having fun!!!!!

Not to rub salt into your wounds but I do Own a 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV-6 Maratona. Not stock of course!