Question about changing birth certificate information ...

ryg

Aug 28, 2003
Hi I have a friend that lives in Santiago who recently turned 18 but unfourtunatly as most people from the campo was declared years after birth and by a buscon who registered her with a wrong birthdate and also that she is a male the huacalitos refused to give her a cedula because of the inconsistencies with her birth certificate and told her she would have to go to a lawyer to have this corrected does anyone know how much the real price for this kind of work would cost and if they possibly know of any lawyer in Santiago who would do this I was told by her that she could only find more buscones and they want 5,000 pesos and up I would like to help my friend get this problem fixed the right way if anybody knows anything let me know THANKS BrooklnZoo@yahoo.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll look into this

I have a couple of friends that might be able to help.

this happens all the time, and is partially responsable for the fact that hundreds of thousands of people cannot vote or do not have c?dulas and cannot get health care...

TTYL

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe the right document and the wrong person?

The birth certificate was registered 18 + years ago, and they got the gender and the birthdate wrong. All you CAN identify to the name on the birth certificate is the gender and the birthdate (apart from the parent's names).

I think this is possibly the person to whom this B/C was issued to begin with.

That said, RD$5,000 sounds cheap for say a non-DR citizen to get a DR birth certificate that they can obtain a cedula with. Cheaper than going the residency route for gringos, no?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is one of the worst cases I have heard about. It is entirely possible that this person was handed over the identity of a dead sibling, although the example where I know this has happened the dead sibling and the person with its identity are members of the same sex. I also know a brother and sister who, according to their offical DOBs are just 4 months apart in age (they have the same mother and father - how does that make sense?) and a friend whose name on official documents looks like a bizarre consonant-laden acronym because the registry clerk copied his name down wrong from his baptism certificate. Whatever the case, this leaves people - and the system - open to all sorts of abuses.

Chiri