Travel Puerto Plata and Las Terrenace

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is not a difficult drive if you're used to Dominican driving and road conditions. If not, take a bus. Ken may see this thread and respond. He knows the bus schedules on this route well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour has a bus that goes to Samana 7 days a week. It leaves Puerto Plata at 7am. Take this bus to Sanchez, the town before Samana. There are vehicles that meet the bus looking for people who want to go to Las Terrenas. Chances are it will be a van or pickup truck, but it will get you to Las Terrenas.

Caribe Tour only has one bus a day from Puerto Plata to Samana.

The bus is much, much cheaper than renting a car, and will be much less stressful.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
POP to Samana/ Las Terrenas?

How long is the bus ride from POP to Sanchez? And from Sanchez to Las Terrenas in another vehicle?

Thanks

Ron

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ronks, I used to ride the bus to Samana regularly, but now live in Sosua. That is why I am a little fuzzy on the time. Most of the buses from Santo Domingo pass through San Francisco de Macoris. As I recall, those buses take about 4 hours to get to Sanchez, including a stop in SFdeM for refreshments.

Caribe Tours also has at least one bus to Samana which takes a different, more direct route. Don't recall the time savings, but at least 30 minutes.

BTW, from Santo Domingo you can take either Caribe Tours or Metro to Sanchez. I tend to talk about Caribe Tours because it has more buses on the route.

Over the mountain to Las Terrenas will take 30 minutes or more. Beautiful views. I say over the mountain because there is a mountain range across the middle of the Samana Peninsula. On one side of the range are Samana and Sanchez, Las Terrenas is on the other side.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Ken

I will probably be traveling from Puerto Plata to Sanchez. Can you estimate the time for that leg? Thanks again.

Ron

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour will leave Puerto Plata at 7:00 am. You should be in Sanchez by 10:30, more or less. You will make brief stops in Sosua and Nagua.

Last edited:

Capt Gary

Aug 19, 2003
Thanks for all the good info. What a great way to get questions answered. By people who have been there, done that. Thanks again