Suggestions please

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am flying down for a quick, Thurs thru Tues trip on the 18th of September. I am flying into Santiago and I plan on driving east to Samana then up and along the north coast to Nagua and then along to POP before coming back over the mountain to Santiago and flying back home. Can anyone suggest any good hotels/restaurants along the route or anything else that may be of interest to me?I plan on doing a lot of exploring and stopping in several small towns along the way. I am especially looking forward to seeing samana and I have no idea where to stay there. Also, how long is the drive from Santiago to Samana? Thanks in advance.
Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jeez, this is too easy

You will have a ball!

It is about 3 1/2 hours driving from Santiago to Saman?.
However, you should stop and eat at the Spanish restaurant in San Francisco de Macoris or along the shore in Nagua.
the One is Macoris is call Meson de Sevilla or something like that.I'll check on it.
any place in nagua has great seafood.

Where to stay__Obviously at Eddy's and Nicole's place Mairenique. there are other little places there, too, in all fairness.
While they are not friends of Eddy's the German and his wife just in back of Eddy's place (Mourea or something like that) offers nice food and accomodations. So does the most famouse place in Las Galeras Villa Serena.....

In Saman? proper, there are also nice places to stay but i have never stayed there except wehn we rented an apartment for a week....

Depending on what time you get in, it is an easy drive. I wouldn't do it at night since some of the turns might not be as visible...

From Samana to POP is a wonderful drive along the coast. If you golf, bring the clubs and play Playa Grande, since it is to tell the folks back home about.

Good luck,

HB

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas

I would curl up the coast through Las Terrenas. Nice beach. good restaurants.

Its only a small detour. May add 4 hours to the drive time. If you stay there, the cafe Nina is a good cheap hotel. Maybe $25 per night.

The mountain pass leading out of LT is little high and tight, but only if youre real squemish though.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Larry,
In Samana proper, I would suggest stay at the Tropical Lodge on the Malecon. Nice place, well located, only about US$35 a night, breakfast not included in the price. Just don't eat breakfast there -- probably worst I had in the DR. There's a good restaurant a couple of blocks down the Malecon, called Camilo's -- makes a great full breakfast complete with delicious fruit shakes. Dinner is quite good there too -- I liked the shrimp, my wife enjoyed the fish, the kids the pasta.
Enjoy! The place is beautiful. Are you going out to Cayo Levantado to vegetate for a day?

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. You going to stop in and say hello to Shads in Cabrera, or Amber in Nagua?
Tropical Lodge, Samana

Last edited:

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
more suggestions

Larry,
On your way back be sure to stop in Rio San Juan and spend a night at the Bahia Blanca or at least have dinner there. The next morning play a round of golf at Playa Grande, if your not a golfer spend a few hours walking on Playa Grande beach.
In Samana on the main street there is a restaurant named Cafe Paris operated by a Morrocan man. The food is outstanding and the service is excellent. Just a couple of more suggestions for your trip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just remembered the guy's name

In Nagua----Estanislau, and he is on the street that goes past the front of the nun's school...Good food, typical setting.

See if you can find Amber...would be a great guide...

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And DON'T forget to call me when you are in Puerto Plata!!!

Must be my time to buy the beers!! E-Mail or PM me if you have lost the number!! - Grahame.