Hurricane Fabian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
is it expected to hit direct on dr? go to the north? anyone down there hear when the rain is supposed to hit northeast coast? i have an outdoor party scheduled saturday in las galeras. thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This storm is not expected to affect the DR. At this point, would recommend you continue with your barbecue plans as the storm is expected to pass north enough to Samana so as not to even bring rain. (But you may check the weather for tropical waves in the area, etc. and other conditions.)

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...harts&product=HurTrack1&prodnav=none&pid=none

Also see http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT5+shtml/011451.shtml? for a discussion on why the storm is expected to turn north.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good chance that Saturday will be a beautiful day.

Here is the projected storm track as of 11 am today http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT10/refresh/AL1003W+GIF/011453W.gif

My experience is that after a hurricane or strong tropical storm passes through an area and is beyond the point at which you are getting the rain that accompanies the storm that the weather is very nice in the surrounding areas. The storm seems to suck all the energy out of the atmosphere so that the areas not affected by the storm have beautiful weather.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Unless the storm changes directions (highly unlikely at this point), the Dominican Republic will get sunshine and high waves over the next few days.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ken said:
My experience is that after a hurricane or strong tropical storm passes through an area and is beyond the point at which you are getting the rain that accompanies the storm that the weather is very nice in the surrounding areas. The storm seems to suck all the energy out of the atmosphere so that the areas not affected by the storm have beautiful weather.
It's like the old story about the preist, the doctor, and the lawyer all stranded in a sinking boat encircled by sharks just offshore from the beach. Each makes a swim for it and gets eaten, except the lawyer, he makes it unscathed. The sharks didn't eat him out of 'professional courtesy'. Same with hurricanes. Sort of 'professional courtesy' at work. Nothing else moves until they get outta the way.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Looks like you'll get the waves without HB and I getting the benefit of seeing of nice storms and squalls, eh?

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Fabian

You guys should be OK.
Here in Bermuda we're not so sure.

By Friday it is supposed to be uncomfortably close....ie 60 NM

Batteries and water etc.etc. are flying off the shelves!!

There are better ways to get a day off work!!

Ric....

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
This is the first time I get to say this ...

The end result of all this was that before Fabian left Cabarete Beach for its rendezvous with Bermuda the waves were literally lapping up at the steps of the beach bars, and kelp and seaweed was all over the sand from the fifteen foot swells. But a day later, thanks to the hard work of everyone in Cabarete the beach looked great and was back to it's wonderful, picturesque, colorful self! Amazing!

THREAD CLOSED!

:: smile ::

Status
Not open for further replies.