The IMF loan sharks see blood in these Dominican waters.

maxim

Jul 16, 2003
Interest rates on deposits could go to as high as 80% and property values cut in half

Based on their track record, the World Bank and International Monetary Fund implode and then loot economies in Third World countries. Joseph Stiglitz, ex-chief economist of the World Bank, describes the thievery as a four step program. "Step One is privatization." State industries in poor nations are sold off at bargain basement prices. "After privatization, Step Two is capital market liberalization. In theory this allows investment capital to flow in and out. Unfortunately, as in Indonesia and Brazil, the money often simply flows out... Cash comes in for speculation in real estate and currency, then flees at the first whiff of trouble. A nation's reserves can drain in days... And when that happens, to seduce speculators into returning a nation's own capital funds, the IMF demands these nations raise interest rates to 30%, 50% and 80%...

Higher interest rates demolish property values, savage industrial production and drain national treasuries." Step Three follows:
market-based pricing, "a fancy term for raising prices on food, water and cooking gas. This leads, predictably, to Step-Three-and-a-Half: what Stiglitz calls 'the IMF riot'... The IMF riots (and by riots I mean peaceful demonstrations dispersed by bullets, tanks and tear gas) cause new flights of capital and government bankruptcies." Finally, Step Four is introduced: free trade. "This is free trade by the rules of the World Trade Organization and the World Bank, which Stiglitz likens to the Opium Wars." In the Opium Wars, the West used military blockades. Today, the World Bank can order a financial blockade, which is just as effective and sometimes just as deadly."

All across South America the people are in revolt against the IMF and World Bank. In February 2001, Ecuadorian environmentalists and human rights activists occupied the Quito offices of the IMF in support of thousands of indigenous protestors rising up against government austerity measures mandated by the IMF (in Ecuador, the monthly minimum wage is $130 while the monthly cost of living is $200).

The vast majority here are poor and disenfranchised. Do you REALLY think the IMF agreement will help them? The IMF loan sharks smell blood in these Dominican waters. Why else would they be called the bank of last resort. My advice: Bucket up, we're in for an even bumpier ride.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
maxim said:
, Ecuadorian environmentalists and human rights activists occupied the Quito offices of the IMF

And they accomplished what? I am against the IMF as well but not for the same reasons as you "Tree Huggers" and "Feel good whinners". I oppose the IMF because they throw my money around without any policing. For me the IMF should mandate that any assitance be rendered under the condition that the countries economy be put under the control of an outside party. Preferably a capitalist businessman. But not an economist. Those people have no clue.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Haha, now this is funny!!

First off there is NOTHING left to Loot. The Dominican Government took it all. Why the hell do you think that they are in the position that they are in to begin with?

You think the IMF will loot the Dominican Republic? You are a little kid with blinders on if you think that. My fear is that the Dominican Republic will LOOT the IMF, the World Bank and anyone else stupid enough to be involved. There are TOO many Crooks for them to deal with. Smoke, mirrors and big cars and homes is what will come out of this.

Ecuador is on a much better footing these days and guess why? I will never understand some people.

Only one draining the Dominican Republics Treasury are DOMINICANS. Not only that there isn't enough GOOD Dominicans with a Back BONE to change it.

I expect a bumpy ride but it is only the fault of DOMINICANS and not from anything outside the country. The sooner the DOMINICANS realize this and make changes the better off the Country will be.

FWIW, the real estate values plumeted in Ecuador when they went to the US dollar in PANIC. Since, it has recovered and the country is doing much better. Who actually would care about Dominican Envirnmentalists? No one from either the outside or inside!