Dominican Flu

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
What's up with the cold/flu/upper respiratory stuff floating around down there? I just got back and brought it here with me and I'm sicker than hell. Others had it down there and said they caught it down there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chris,Maybe you caught it from someone you ate????

Remember,"You Are What You Eat"! Especially in Sosua!!!!!!!!!!!Am I the next victim? I was only a few steps behind you last weekend! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:confused:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Everybody I know has had the flu in the past few weeks, me included. It knocks you about for a few days :(

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
Sosua flu ??

We just returned from Sosua on the 24th September and we have both been ill since getting back. Flu symptoms etc...
Although I'd rather be sitting down on the beach in Sosua or Cabarete feeling like this, than sitting here at work in Southwestern Ontario :)

Tony and Janis

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
wrong month

See this flu also confuses you about the dates .... LOL . I meant to say the 24th August ....

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
What were the symptoms? Just curious. Alba came back Thursday night, and left Friday. Then Friday night for 24 hours spent the whole time in bed with fever, dizziness, and sore joints. Been OK since Sunday, but I still am extremely dizzy. Move to fast and the world spins and I grab the nearest chair, wall, Sosua-girl, etc. for support. Sound familiar or something else?

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Not the part about grabbing the nearest Sosua girl, Crisco. I know that probably sounds familiar to you but absent the other symptoms your recollection that that's happened to you is not information of benefit to me... ::: smile ::

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I'm amazed that actual (as opposed to imagined by the hypochondriacal Dominicans) isn't even more common. They eat few green veggies (probably the best vitamin source), seldom wash their hands, and blow their noses into their hands often (never a handkerchief).

Another common health problem of theirs, back and kidney, must surely be exacerbated by their large sugar consumption. Coffee that they serve is already too sweet (for me, at least), but they then add tons to theirs. The same is true for other drinks such as orange juice. Then there is beer and rum.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
What's this one called?

I love the names given to the strains of flus down there. I remember when "Kosovo" (how un-PC) made its rounds, and I myself was stricken with "El Aplastador" and the dreaded "El Paquetazo", named for the unpopular new taxes. Hee.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Owdumlad & Er Indoors,
Remembering what we all managed to put away whilst you were here, and that's outside of your AI!!! You're probably suffering from the Presidente Flu, the Brugal Flu, the Vino Tinto Flu and any other you care to mention! We feel like that every morning!!! It's tough in the tropics!!
Now get back to work and stop feeling sorry for yourself?
Peter & Alex

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]andy a[/B] said:
...They eat few green veggies (probably the best vitamin source
I demand a cite or else I will write that down as BS! Fresh salad is a part of La Bandera Dominican buddy and if you drive around Santo Domingo you will notice there are 10 zillion fruit vendors. Somebody must be buying. Next!

I was also smiten by the latest strain of flu. Funny cause I hadn't had the flu in about 10 years. It went away in about 5 days with absolutely no medication. It sucks though. My brain was dripping through my nose. :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The latest computer virus

Maybe we should call this strain DR1 because I have it too and I'm far away from the Dominican Republic.

Chiri

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
Peter & Alex said:
Owdumlad & Er Indoors,
Remembering what we all managed to put away whilst you were here, and that's outside of your AI!!! You're probably suffering from the Presidente Flu, the Brugal Flu, the Vino Tinto Flu and any other you care to mention! We feel like that every morning!!! It's tough in the tropics!!
Now get back to work and stop feeling sorry for yourself?
Peter & Alex

<b>You've got a point there Peter,</b><br> I'll just sit here at work and suffer in silence LOL. Or maybe it's the withdrawals ??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Andy_a is correct, domincians don't eat enough veggies. Eating shreaded cabage with vineger is not considered a healthy salad. Most dominicans don't even drink water "pero a mi, no me gusta el agua...". I have heard that non-sense so many times. They ask for presidente, jugo natural (natural juice with more refined sugar than coke), or simply a refresco. Not many people drink water in the day time. Its against their religion. No, you don't need clinical studies to see this trend, just go to any restaurant where they serve lunch to the masses, and see how many people drink water or eat veggies. That is the main part of the reasons why domincians suffer from diabetes, kidney diseases and other illnesses which are related to their diet.

About the flu: it is not caused by the virus but rather, your lack of resistance to it. If it were the virus that gets you sick than why am I not sick, or ever sick of the flu when everyone else around me has it? I work with people every day in my office and come into far more contact with an average dominican than anyone of you tourists in resorts, then why is it that I don't get sick?
The reason is simple, I don't abuse medication and I drink alot of water everyday. I try to eat healthy, thus my resistance (immune system) is really strong.

I will dare to hug anyone with flu symtoms and even drink out of their glass and might even kiss her on the lips if she is cute and not fall victims to flu. I can do that any day in front of anyone for nothing.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
One of my favorite words is MALARKY, a polite way to say Bull S_it. That is my reply to the statement that because Dominicans don't eat enough fresh veggies nor drink enough water they are prone to getting the flu. I too live here and note what they eat. Our vegatable market in Samana is usually mobbed. And regarding the flu here in the DR: do you notice that the outbreaks just happen to coincide with peak tourist influx times twice a year? Think about it.

Tourists from all over the world visit the DR and they bring all kinds of bugs/flu strains with them. And flying in an enclosed airplane with 300 people all exhaling these wonderful little microbes is also a good way to get infected.

I also found the same to be true at the start of the school year when students return from summer vacation. Ask any teacher and they will tell you that they usually get the flu in September after exposure to the little darlings. I taught college and many of our students came from different parts of the US and again, always brought their bugs with them. September's flu exposure was always one of the joys of teaching we all looked forward to, about as much as we looked forward to a dose of the plague. And although good health does increase natural resistance, most severe strains blow right past it. Kiss someone with the flu? Absolutely not, even is she is Miss Universe.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I took part in a "Study" of "Rhino Virus'" and contagion

While at McMurdo Station Antarctica.The study was run by Dr.Elliott Dick,Univ. of Minn.if you care to check his crudentials.He is a world renowned, and respected clinical and research virologists! That said,"None of you know what the hell you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!, when it comes to the "Infuenza Virus".So study "Virology" for about 20 years,or find another thread.You are wasting time here!cc

dominicans eat "LOTS" of fruits and vegetables! Their diet must be "better" than most of we foreigners eat.See many obese dominicans?????

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Wow, I must live a sheltered life in santiago. What the hell you guys are talking about? Domincians would rather eat meat and chew on rice (starch) than to eat any veggies. I am talking about the majority of poor dominicans. They may eat platanos, boiled or fried, a little beans (but only the sauce, no beans), may eat a little yuca (starch). When I say veggies I mean a green salad with tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, lettuce etc, not shreaded cabbage and vinegar. Veggies dishes could be with potatoes, spinich, squash, many variety of bean and etc. Most domincians love to eat meat with white rice and beans. Thats it. The fruits, yes, the poor eat bananas, mangos but not all the time, they are too busy drinking brugal. Most dominicans don't drink water either, just like americans. They drink beer, brugal, sweet juices and soda. hardly anyone drinks water.

So please stop this BS about dominicans eating veggies, I live among the dominicans as opposed to many of you who live in gringo towns on the beach.

So tell me andy B, if the virus claims all the illnesses then why is it that I am always healthy while you rot in the bed? Even if I do get sick from something, why is it that I am always up and running the next day while you eat a course of pills for 2 weeks?
All your flu virus research is all BS, I will kiss and eat amelia vega's tongue any day regardless of what virus strain she is under and will not get sick. No flu has ever kept me down for more than a night. I am no superman but I say I have a strong immune system.

P.S. dominicans are slim because they eat less, not necessarily healthy foods.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
AZB, you know what they say about opinions. Neither your nor I are medical experts and the reasons why you believe that Dominicans don't eat veggies are shaky to say the least.

I am talking about the majority of poor dominicans.
You don't know more poor Dominicans than I do, or more Dominicans for that matter.

I live among the dominicans as opposed to many of you who live in gringo towns on the beach.
I live among Dominicans. I have always lived among Dominicans. I have lived among Dominicans for a longer period. I am Dominican.

Does that mean anything. Nope, I'd lose any debate using your reasoning. So, until you bring me anything else than that I will think that you are wrong.

Next!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dominicans don't eat veggies???? :confused: Then, who were those people I saw all the time at the Feria Ganadera and at the vegetable aisle in the supermarkets when I lived in Santo Domingo??? And all those times I was served eggplant, okra, peppers, cucumbers? Or corn mixed in with the rice?