Drivers Licence

Americano

Aug 2, 2003
www.dominicanvilla.com
Hi, I am a resident of DR. Where do I go to get a drivers licence and what are the costs involved? Is there a test? (I imagine if there was it would consider how well you can drive on the wrong side of the road with your hi-beams on while running a red light?!?)

I live on the North Coast so I would need the closest office.

Thanks!

Americano

Aug 2, 2003
www.dominicanvilla.com
Ouch! :(

I just did a search about getting a licence.

After reading what is involved, all I can say, is I am not doing all that crap just to get a licence when I can just give the cops 100 pesos when they stop me.

Does anyone know someone I can just pay to go get the licence for me, without any test or the other BS? I am too busy for this stuff.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll be nice

If you have a valid dricers license from someplace else, you go to Obras P?blicas in Santiago and take a test-they are easy- and they will issue you a Dominican license. It is a little bureaucratic but doable.

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Ouch! :(

Americano said:
Does anyone know someone I can just pay to go get the licence for me, without any test or the other BS? I am too busy for this stuff.

Thanks!

Tell that to the judge after the accident you had with an expired (90 days) foreign license. The first thing they do is photo copy your entry stamp when your filling out the police report. If you don't have that, your going to jail.

Imagine being in an accident thats not your thought, someone gets hurt and you have an expired license. I hope you have lots of cash, because your going to need it to get out of that one.

Yes, I have heard of a recent situation in Santo Domingo of that happening.
"But I was just waiting at the stop light your honor!".
Medical bills for a motoconcho driver can add up real fast, especially when your a foreigner with an expired license.

The good news, if you have a British or any other European passport, often your embassy will issue you with a document (for a fee) that validates the legality of your license. This document you can use to get your Dominican license without all the hassles of a test etc.
Sorry, this does not apply to Americans as your embassy has stopped issuing validity documents. Sometimes it's handy being a Brit :)

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Requirements for a driver?s license from the Ministry of Public Works (Motor Vehicles Division):

1) A valid license from a foreign country.
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the DR stating that the foreign license is valid.
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs ("Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores").
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application, with residency visa or work permit or C?dula.
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test.

S

Stephen

Fabio!, you've got to be kidding!

Everyone we know in POP just pays $2000. pesos and gets one in about 2 days!!!!!!

SEEMS MUCH EASIER TO ME!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Fabio!, you've got to be kidding!

Stephen said:
Everyone we know in POP just pays $2000. pesos and gets one in about 2 days!!!!!!

SEEMS MUCH EASIER TO ME!

Until you have an accident :)

Just like you can get cheap or quick residency papers. Just some times a problem when you go to get your permanent.

I have seen and heard of friends having problems when using the "fast track" system.

I would rather have the piece of mind knowing that I did step A-Z and it's all in order and I have no come backs in the future.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
Isnt the Dominican Republic just grand? Where else in the world can you put a price on just about anything? Wonder what it costs to have someone killed there? 1.34.89?

Sheesh, what a life.

Many countries...

Brazil, Colombia, many African nations, also a few Asian countries. The DR is not unique, it happens all over the planet.

Maybe it's unique for you as you have maybe only ever lived in the US as an adult...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
OK. You have all convinced me. I will stop driving now, sell my jeepeta to my employee, and let him drive me around and suffer any of the consequences!

I always wanted to have a chauffer!

Tom (aka XR)

lililarion

Sep 22, 2002
my experience

In 1990 +/- I went the whole legal procedure to get a Dominican driver's licence, having a residency and a valid Canadian licence. I went several time to Sto Dgo, took a written test, took a practical test, passed, was awarded a Dominican licence which I foolishly let expire. When I went to renew it ( and I did this using a police officer who specializes in matters pertaining to traffic) I was told it was not in the "system" and I would have to start all over. Strangely enough this also happened to me when I went to renew my residencia last time. Not to be paranoid but I think someone paid to have me removed from officialdom.

guacaraganix

Sep 28, 2003
Road Test?

For Fabio Guzman: thanks for the concise list, but I have a question: do you have to take a road test as well, or just go through the bureaucratic paperwork, as you suggest. Some of the other replies seemed to indicate that they in fact took the road test. Thanks

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Call Graciela Fermin on 586-9534. She's a lawyer in Puerto Plata and can help you through the license process. She helped with mine, and it went very smoothly.

Adrian

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Whats the cost?

Can you tell me the approximate cost of using the attorney to get your license?
I am trying to decide if it is just better to have all the residency, licensing stuff with an attorney instead of doing it myself...Thanks for any info. :) Pam

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
Many countries...

Brazil, Colombia, many African nations, also a few Asian countries. The DR is not unique, it happens all over the planet.

Maybe it's unique for you as you have maybe only ever lived in the US as an adult...
Well it certainly is weird to me. It is also a bit uncomfortable fore me to consider doing business in a climate like that also. Wonder if their way of doing graft and outright theft puts others off also?

I think it is a question of self respect that is lacking in countries that sell their souls. Just my opinion.

I have only lived in the US up till now. I have traveled a lot seeing as I have 52 stamps in a passport that has 7 years left on a 10 year passport. I would guess I am as well traveled as most people and probably more than most. How many people actually live in more than 2 countries other than for employment purposes? I was always able to make a living without having to live in another country.

Escott

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Requirements for a driver?s license from the Ministry of Public Works (Motor Vehicles Division):

1) A valid license from a foreign country.
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the DR stating that the foreign license is valid.
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs ("Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores").
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application, with residency visa or work permit or C?dula.
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test.

What happen for the foreigners that live in the D.R. only 6 months a year without having a residency visa or work permit or C?dula ??? Is there a blank in the law regarding these people ???

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Americans here past six months?

What does happen if you have been here for six months or more and have nothing? Danny has all; passport, cedula and driver's license. He was born here, so didn't have that many problems. Did it all last year when we were here. On the other hand, I wasn't (born here that is) and so far have none of the above.

I will be more careful (read paranoid) while driving. Guess we'd better make an appointment with Fabio.

Dianne

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
this is now the question

lets say you visit the DR often, and each time have the intention of staying up to 3 months at a time, but have no residency or DR driver's license (just using the tourist visa) Then how can you own a vehicle (register & driver's license) while renting an apartment long term? Would you be able to purchase a vehicle that you can use each time you're there? How would the registration process take place. I imagine the long term apartment rental wouldn't be a problem and all

the vehicle registration is my grip right now. It would be better to own than to rent each time

...tcidr