Viva Tangerine - Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For all of you who asked about this hotel ---

I went by there today and some of the construction barriers between the hotel and the road has been taken down (or blew down). So, I went in but could not find a security guard to chat up and ask to walk around the place. So, I just kinda hovered around the front (not wanting to meet the security guard round the back) and this is what I could see....

The sign has been picked up and planted again - for a few months there it was lying on a heap of construction sand.

A great big hole in the ground- how fast does one build a swimming pool?

And what a surprise ... a number of completed buildings (at least from the outside) and only a few not complete. The place looks almost habitable. I'm not a good one to judge a construction project as to percentage complete. But to me, it looks almost done - excepting the swimming pool.

The buildings are quite nice, mediteranian in style and very tangerine in color...

For all of you holding off on your bookings, I'll pop in in a few weeks again to see if I can see progress.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Looks good from the beach side too Chris. Don't worry, that hole will be filled up with rain water by Monday if they don't get it finished ...

And by the way, it is the one right across the street from the Tiger Mart.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
XR,
It's the one which lost it's brand new wooden fence, a couple of palms and a few feet of it's frontage in the last little blow! (Looking from the beach side). Any bets on how much garden they'll lose in the next one?

ebk

Oct 13, 2003
How is Viva Tangerine coming along?

I have appreciated hearing from those who have taken the time to take a look. I have a late November vacation booked, and frankly, I am nervous that it will not be complete. I have an autistic son who will not get it if the pool is not ready, for instance. Viva says it is all set; Wyndham is not talking. Does anyone have an update? This could be a disaster if it is not really operational.....

Also, we could only get a flight into Santaigo, and it appears that renting a car is the easiest and cheapest method of getting back and forth. While it does not look far on the map (maybe an hour?) it does appear to be kind of mountainous. Any thoughts about the drive/road conditions/rental agencies to avoid?

We have never been to DR and are excited to vist. Two sons are ages 4 and seven. Do you think they will have enough fun at Viva or should we plan to get away a bit? Any suggestions re: off-Viva sites worth seeing nearby?

Many thanks, This has been a really useful board for newbies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll drive by there again today and see if I can post an update later.

You won't need transportation in Cabarete, so perhaps you could catch bus or a cab from Santiago and not try to deal with driving if you don't have to.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
It's coming along......

A lot of effort going into finishing it off ready for November!
The big hole in front now seems to have been filled up and .... it's now a tennis court???
Beach side - they're replacing the vanished wooden fence with some higgledy piggledy poorly constructed concrete jobby???
I'll wander in tomorrow morning as I walk the beach with my dogs and have a looky looky!
Peter
(Freakin' hell, 200 posts? I gotta get a life)!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Pictures

I threw together a new photo gallery web site for all my pictures over the weekend. It's not quite ready for prime-time. A few pages with no photos, a few sideways shots, etc.

But I do have the latest four pictures I took for Wud of the construction posted there. Go to: www.xrphotos.virtualvoice.org Then click on the 'Scenes' link. It's the last few photos of page one and the next two on page two if I remember correctly.

Hope those help, rather than scare! But they are working furiously.

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Went by there today - If it can be completed by November, it will be completed. I have never seen such furious activity in the DR ever before. These folks are 'smokin.

When you go by there Peter, see if you can find the pool. We all thought the big hole will be a pool and I was surprised to see the tennis court. WHERE IS THE POOL?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Wandered in ....

...from the beach early this morning and once I got the dogs to stop eyeing up the security guard with the night stick, managed to wander about unmolested.
The pool is a meandering structure which is located right in front of the main building but on the beach side. looks nice, but it will need some extensive cleaning.
Gardens have been planted but still in a bit of a mess.
Shade structures almost complete beach side but they do keep adding odds and sods each day that I look. The painting goes on full steam ahead!!
Drapes and furniture and fixings all started being installed. Looks quite nice.
Front area still being worked on and a hive of activity!!
Will they be open? Yes, if the current activity is anything to go by. Will it be finished? Who knows??? No doubt there will be a few starting up hiccups.
Will keep checking. When they chase me out then I'll presume that it's up and running?
Peter

Beachgirl

Oct 20, 2003
To all of you folks who keep checking on the Viva Tangerine's progress - thank you!!

We have a trip booked for Nov 16 - your continued monitoring would really be appreciated.

Looking forward to returning to the DR - its starting to get cold up here in Ontario!!!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Progress?

It's still going on at a good pace! A really beautiful chandelier was being erected in the front yesterday, all wrought iron and such.
More furniture, fixings and fittings going in every day. AND they've started to close the windows and doors so they must be getting ready for opening?
Pool still not clean but I'll look again tomorrow - lots of people around the place even at 06.30am this morning! Some females there early today so it looks like staff are being brought in to help get ready?
Still adding thatched roofs on the beach side and some new shaded areas. Painting looks almost finished.
Beach fence - yes a new one to replace the washed away one!! This one is still wooden, which closes off the view from inside and out, but at least it's a lower profile than the earlier one. Tractor buckets of beach sand now deposited over the mish mash of rocks they placed in front of the gardens to stop the erosion. Fence supports now a continuous poorly constructed concrete beam?? At least that will span the areas which will be washed away after the next high tide/storms!
Peter

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
As far as "classiness" goes, how would this resort compare to the IberoStar chain of resorts (for those that have seen the construction)?

Ive been to the north coast a couple times but have been very dissapointed by the A.I.s @ Playa Dorada...

Thinking about giving Sosua/Cabarete a try this time and was considering the Viva Tangerine.

5 years in the country and I havent been past Puerto Plata yet... lol

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi NV_,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Never been past Puerto Plata - YOUR LOSS!!

I spend time on the North Coast everywhere except POP.

ICD is rated 4+* Viva Tangerine is rated 4* so should compare reasonably well - given that it's not open yet. Hlywud is due to be there Nov. 16 - 23 and will be posting a review on Debbie's when he returns.

Gregg

Beachgirl

Oct 20, 2003
I'll be there from Nov 16-23 as well. Looking forward to celebrating my birthday with warden and perhaps meeting all you folks who have been so great about keeping us "posted" on the resort's progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.