Incorporating In The Dr

philly

Feb 14, 2003
Hello

Does anyone know where to get information on incorporating in the DR? Also, what the corporate tax rate is? are there also not for profit corps? About how much does it cost to set up a DR corp?

Regards,
MH

philly

Feb 14, 2003
that doesn't sound like a whole lot

any info on how the tax structure is would be very helpful and if they have a concept of not-for-profit corps

thanks
MH

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If I had that info I would have included it. I use the corps to purchase property with and don't turn a profit so I don't have a clue as to tax ramification or non profit status.

Non Profit has been discussed previously so do a search and see what you can come up with. I don't recollect what the answers were but I do have a feeling that some sort of NP status is available.

Compared to the US it IS a lot of money for the incorporation. I am not familiar with other places.

Scott

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Fees and expenses for incorporations depend on the capitalization involved (a 100,000 pesos corporation costs less than a 10,000,000 pesos corporation) and on whether the incorporation includes a "contribution in kind" (conveying an asset to the corporation, for example, real estate, without paying transfer taxes). $1000 to $1200 is the standard cost for a low-capitalization company without a "contribution a kind".

The process involved is more complicated than in the US. For example, our archaic company law still requires 7 shareholders. Law firms usually provide nominees to fulfill this requirement.

The corporate tax rate is a flat 25% on net income.

Nonprofit corporations do exist. The incorporation requirements and procedure are totally different from for-profit corporations.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Fabio, if the tax rate is at 25% of net income in the DR, who determines the net income - me or the DR Gobierno, and does this number follow GAAP allowing for depreciation, etc, or does "Net Income " to a DGII functionario mean whatever ends up in the till?

Also, does the "prepayment rate" of 1.5% of revenue ( I think that this applies to any business that has revenue over RD$600,000 per year right?) apply against this liability for corporate income taxes, and if so, when does this need to be paid - is it monthly, quarterly , annually, or what?

Thank you for your guidance and answers.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Article 287 of the Tax Code (Law #11-92) lists deductible expenses and depreciation schedules.

The 1.5% is applicable to companies with more than RD$6,000,000 in gross revenues, is payable monthly (1.5/12) and is credited against the total corporate income tax due.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
But what is the time schedule?

In many countries you can incorporate a company in 2-3 days. I was told it lasts months in the DR?

Barnab?

BTW, an other question: What are the taxes due if you rent commercial premises? Is it true there is a 20% tax apart from VAT?

Thank you

Last edited:

philly

Feb 14, 2003
thanks for your responses

would the person starting the corporation have to have DR citizenship or residency?

is it possible to set up a corporation in a free zone? what about if it is technology based?

how agressive are the dominican tax collectors? are bribes going to be an issue?

what incentives does the DR offer to attract foriegn corporations to locate there?

thanks in advance to whoever shares....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
philly, you need to get into correspondence, or come down for a visit with a few people that trade out of free zones. Your questions are too many, and too involved to get into on this board.

Quickly -
1. you do not need DR citizenship or residency.
2. yes it is possible to set up a corporation in a free zone (read the fine print -- what do you want to accomplish?)
3. what if it is technology based? - No problem.
4. not very agressive unless they catch you. bribes are not really a problem once you learn where to pay for 'good services' and where not.
5. incentives - this is a big topic. Tax free trading for many years and other incentives.

Free Zones fall into a different category from that which Fabio discusses in this thread. If your interest is serious, you could write me an e-mail and I'll tell you what I know. There are a few of us here that do technology business and there is a free zone in Santo Domingo that is a 'technology' zone.