Cabarete location

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Hi Scott! Hope you can find it - I couldn't. I want to track the storm - see if we've still going to get there on Sunday!
Pat

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Pat,

I think you missed Scott's point. He's not looking it up for you.

The DR1 anthem "search & search again, then come back with questions" applies to the internet as well as this site.

Let me introduce you to my friend www.google.com LOL

I doubted that I would find Cabarete but since there is an airport quite close I tried a search for "latitude longitude puerto plata" without the quotation marks. The first hit gave me the following:

Gregorio Luperon Intl IATA: POP ICAO: MDPP Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Latitude: 19? 45' N Longitude: 70? 34' W

I know it's not exactly what you asked but within 15 km. or so when a hurricane is involved - well it's as good as it's going to get.

Gregg

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Samana is 19.2 and 69.2. As I recall from the post of Xanadu Ranch, who lives in Cabarete, the latitude there is 19.4 and longitude 19.75. May be a little off on that, but certainly close enough for your purposes.

If all you are interested in is the porjected storm track, here is the 5 day projection of the National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/090903W5.gif

Keep reading the thread on Isabel. You can get the details there.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sounds Like a Great Excuse

... to take Richard's GPS out Chris and head to a beach bar in Cabarete on a, ahem, Fact Finding mission for Patbro!

I don't have a GPS but using some pretty good maps we have of the area we determined that LAT/LON for Xanadu some time ago to be approximately 19.7179? N, 70.4601? W. Xanadu is 3 miles due south of the ocean at Sea Horse Ranch, and maybe 4 miles due west of Cabarete.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
Check long longitude Ken - surely you meant 69.75 degrees?.

But, this is all close enough to check eh!

Sure glad that wasn't a navigation error.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's a great link Escott. But I question the numbers. They had Cabarete, PP as Cabareta, PP and while the latitude looks right, the longitude is above 70.5 and my maps show that clearly west of us.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Sounds Like a Great Excuse

XanaduRanch said:
... to take Richard's GPS out Chris and head to a beach bar in Cabarete on a, ahem, Fact Finding mission for Patbro!
Tom (aka XR)

Yeah Yeah! he takes it with when he leaves. I am not quite sure what our lat/long is exactly. I have a good overall sailing chart of the Caribbean on the wall here, - good enough for Government work, but alas, does not show Cabarete.

So, no GPS, and no detailed map -- Man, I'm having psychological problems - I don't know exactly where I am.... Sure glad I'm not sailing! Between Ken and I this morning, if we were on the ocean, we'd get our hemispheres mixed up... :knockedou

I also would not go sailing on your internet nugget of wisdom Scott. This one is not even close enough for government work.

Anybody with a GPS in Cabarete, please tell me where I am!

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Thanks Scott,

I thought your post had hung me out to dry but you have restored my faith in my ability to read between the lines.

Gregg

P.S. - XR, there is both a Cabareta, Puerto Plata at 70.58333 and a Cabarete, Puerto Plata at 70.4 listed in Scott's site.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
OK. This is a silly thread.

Gregg, you're right. Too early for me to be functioning correctly I guess. Never mind! I am just confused! The numbers for Xanadu are correct, and I get 70.408W for Cabarete which agrees with the info Scott provided.

Glad that's settled - I hate little niggling mysteries like that.

Chris? Where's that GPS!?

Last edited: