"knock-off" watches in the DR

M

Mark

My wife and I returned to the DR (playa dorada - playa naco)in april, for the first time since 1997. Before we left my wife reminded me of the "knock-off" watches we purchased during our last visit (which still keep perfect time, and look great!), and stated her intention to purchase more. I thought to myself....do you actually think these "knock-off" watches will still be around...two years later??? Well wouldn't you know it!!! They're still around!

Where do these watches come from? Are they fake? stolen? seconds/irregulars? It seems all tourists are curious and have their own opinions, but nobody seems to know for sure. Any answers?????

D

DR One

What is a "knock-off" watch? Who is the manufacturer? Sounds like I would like to buy one. Where do they sell them? Where did you buy yours?

P

Patria

My husband bought a Tagg watch this March in Boca Chica (from a vendor at the beach). The watch is original and our theory behind it is that these are stolen watches. My opinion

A

aristoba

So please explain why you find it right to buy a stolen watch. ???

M

Mark

I should have explained what I meant by "knock-off". The shops, beach venders, etc. in the playa dorada and sosua area (and probably other areas) sell what "appear" to be authentic brand name watches....Gucci, Swiss Army, Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Calvin Klein, TAG Hauer, etc. I suspect tourists use the term "knock-off" simply because they don't believe that these watches are authentics. Personally, I don't believe they are real/authentic either......I think the old "when it seems to good to be true, it probably is" rule seems to apply here. On that note, I must admit that my wife and I purchased two of these watches each from local venders. We paid an average of about 180-190 pesos ($18-19CAN)each......the way I look at it, fake or not, you can't buy the leather strap in Canada for that price!! As for Aristoba's comment suggesting tourists feel guilty about purchasing what could be a stolen watch, this is my feeling. The beach venders are licensed to sell products (t-shirts, jewelery, etc.), so I don't think tourists should have to question or worry about the origins of the merchandice. Just my opinion!!

K

KEITHNY

Re: Come To NYC

On Canal St. and surrounding boroughs you can find replicas of any style watch made(Rolex,Movado,Cartier) at bargain prices. I think there all mada in china.

J

Jim Hinsch

The watches come from China, well known for it's market in counterfeit goods. They are usually inexpensive shells made by Timex or some other brand with illegally made faces and bands, often with stolen parts from the original manufacturers.

You can buy the same watches in China town in NYC for between US$6 and US$13 that sell on the beach in the DR for double that, and in China town, they have thousands of them on display every day along Canal street. I took an expensive china town rolex to a jeweler, and lo and behold, the shell was an authentic rolex complete with serial number (according to the jeweler) and the innards were timex, complete with sweeping hand (I paid US$45 a few years ago).

In NYC, even designer perfume can be bought on the streets at a sharp discount. It is not stolen, it is usually conterfient, the real thing but expired, or somehow otherwise flawed. According to a TV program I saw, perfume is forumalated differently for different markets and climates so what smells good in one market might be too weak or smell differently in another, which is why is not always such a good idea to buy perfume at a duty-free in the Caribbean when you plan to wear it in the great white north.

The vendors in the DR are licensed to sell on the beach and that has nothing to do with whether or not it is legal to sell knock-off items. Watches are not the only knock-off item. Name brand T-shirts, sun-glasses, caps, etc. are also sold. The stuff is probably brought in from NYC where so many Dominicans have family. This stuff is sold in the streets of every major city in the USA and Europe. Don't buy too many or you could be arrested on return for traficking in counerfeit goods by US Customs but they will not confiscate a handful or so.

I've been known to buy the watches in NYC for as little as US$4 each when buying 20 or more at a time. Ironically, it costs me US$5 to change the battery at the mall after a year or so, or US$10 at the mall to buy a replacement watch band. Buyer beware. Some of these watches might have a problem such as a sticky hand, a date that won't advance, or cosmetic flaws and there is an as-is no-return policy on the street (including most beach stores that also carry this stuff).

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

J

Juanita

Re: "knock-off" watches in the DR(Patria)

Patria, have you ever visited any Flea Market in the United States? I ask because in most Flea Markets in the USA sell merchandise like Tommy Hilfiger, Nike and Fubu at cheaper prices than Mall prices so you mean these are stolen merchandise?

P

Patria

I am going to post my last message to this tread to shut some people up. I have been to canal St. in NYC plenty of time. I have seen, bought and used fake watches and pocketbooks. I have been to flea markets in the US and have seen fake watches. I also have bought and seen ORIGINAL merchandise (pocketbooks and watches). So, eventhought I don't consider myself an expert in this subject, I KNOW THE DIFERENCE! The vendor in Boca Chica had fake watches and original ones. The one we happened to buy was original. And considering that this vendor was not going to have the money to buy an original TAGG watch and sell it for $15 dollars (no business or return of investment there), you do the math and anyone w/a little brain will come to the conclusion that the Tagg watch we bought was stolen. Case close......and end of my post, I don't need to explain myself, just did it to shut some people up

J

Juanita

Patria, I don't think that a person who buys stolen or (supposedly stolen) merchandise "has a lot of brain". My opinion.

A

aristoba

You admit it was stolen. you buy it any way. Any where in the world that's against the law. Nothing to be proud.