Changes in Financial Laws

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Can someone like Golo or Fabio explain what the changes passed this week in the Senate regarding Financial Law 183-02 and Article 28 ? Is this an attempt to "freeze" or manipulate the tasa in changing pesos for other currencies for a period of up to one year at a time, (or am I REALLY misinterpreting this news?) and what else needs to happen for this to become reality?

I get deeply suspicious when 25 senators pass anything unanimously regarding money.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
From what I have read in the press, the bill would give the Central Bank (or the Monetary Board, I'm not sure which) the right to set fixed exchange rates for up to a year, in case of extraordinary circumstances.

Art. 28 of the Monetary and Financial Code presently states that our monetary system is based on the free convertibility of the peso with other currencies and expressly prohibits the Central Bank from establishing conditions affecting the free determination of exchange rates.

"Art?culo 28.- Libre Convertibilidad.- El r?gimen cambiario est? basado en la libre convertibilidad de la moneda nacional con otras divisas. Los agentes econ?micos podr?n realizar transacciones en divisas en las condiciones que libremente pacten de acuerdo con las normas generales sobre contratos. El Banco Central no podr?, en caso alguno, establecer que determinadas operaciones de cambio internacionales deban realizarse exclusivamente con ?ste o en condiciones que no aseguren libre determinaci?n de precios en el mercado...."

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A New Name for the Law

Fabio J. Guzman said:
From what I have read in the press, the bill would give the Central Bank (or the Monetary Board, I'm not sure which) the right to set fixed exchange rates for up to a year, in case of extraordinary circumstances.

Should the law be titled the "creation of a black market for US dollars act"?

The minute they set a fixed exchange rate that's what will happen. Nobody will accept, say $25 pesos per $1US if the true value is $35 pesos. There will be no US$ supplied unless through black market trading.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Any idea what would be deemed "extraordinary circumstances", and would there be any warning? - D

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Danny W said:
Any idea what would be deemed "extraordinary circumstances", and would there be any warning? - D
Answers:
1. Anything they want to deem it to be;
2. Warning? Are you kidding? This is the DR we're talking about here!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Danny, as I understand it, the bill has been approved by the Senate, but not yet by the Chamber of Deputies. So, no, not this Monday. I thought you meant that, once the law was passed by Congress and signed by Hippo, would the Central Bank give advanced warning before applying exchange rate controls. It's very doubtful the BC would do so. While this is not exclusively a DR tactic -- many countries have sprung FX controls without warning (to prevent a run on currency), I think it is even more likely to be done in the DR as long as Hippo is in charge.

Regards,
Keith

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
In my totally unsophisticated opinion, the weak peso is great for the country. Tourism and exports are up, and the country is agriculturally self sufficient. If the new controlls are used in a rational manner (meaning only in the most extreme conditions), it seems to be reasonable. From my own limited viewpoint, I am helping to support a small family in SD. Their rent is fixed, and so they are rooting for a good tasa. Again, my viewpoint is extremely myopic. - D

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
sure might be 25 to 1 for about a month

Then the entire country would collapse. This is just another desperate attempt to get the bald jackass re-elected and scare the bankers a bit into conforming to PPH wishes.

As for the true value of the peso, 35 to 1 isn't even close to some of the numbers I've seen mentioned by banks in the US and Europe for new business ventures. Even the world bank publicly mentioned a number far in excess of 35 to 1.