Spanish Rock!

diosamusical

Sep 10, 2003
I read that some of you like Spanish Reggae and Mana. I enjoy both too. Another group that I recently checked out through my internship at Universal was CAFE TECUBA. They are similar to Mana and sound like a spanish version Radiohead. I like a couple of songs they had on their Cd, Cuatro Caminos but the one I liked most was "Eo". Check them out, cafetacuba.com.mx or if your into freebies I got one of their shirts on ufanz.com/teams/zonaalternativa.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For a moment I thought this was going to be about something completely different!

Chirimoya - British Rock!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I love Spanish Rock. Sometimes even more than Merengue and Bachata...of course it's a different story when it comes to dancing. Mana is great, I saw them in concert last year and I am going again in a couple of weeks. I saw Cafe Tacuba last year as well and their concert was incredible. My other favorites are La Ley, Enanitos Verdes and Heroes del Silencio...check them out.

and for the Dominican spin....Last year I saw Juanes in Santo Domingo and there was this Dominican rock group that opened for him. I can't remember the name of the group but I liked *a couple* of their songs and would like to get my hands on them. I tried looking up the group online but no luck....anyone know the name of the group?

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Dominican Rock

Diosa, you seem to be the PR manager of Cafe Tacuba?

There are quite a bunch of boys and girls mainly in the DR capital who make nice Rock&Pop music.

My favorite are:

Tribu del Sol
Al Jadaqui
Pavel Nu?ez
Toque Profundo

Check out Dominican Rock and download mp3 free at: http://www.anivelde.com/

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Toque Profundo...that's it!!! Thanks gerd. How are the rest of the groups? How's the rock scene in Santo Domingo if any? When I was last there not many people seemed to be into it although that's not the impression I got from the La Ley concert.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Musicians in Sto Dgo suffer from the crisis like so many others.

Places with live music have less customers due to high prices. Musicians are expected to perform for the same money as 2 years ago...which is worth only half etc...

One of the reasons why Tony and his band Toque Profundo went to New York.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Funny that they wrote "Dios salve al viajero" so many years ago and it reflects exactly where they are now. I liked Toque Profundo when I was in the university. I still like some of their songs, every time I board a plane one things comes to mind:

"Me desped? de mi gente y zarp?
hacia otro continente,
con mi bronceado permanente
Creyente. Demente"

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I didn't know Toque Profundo was in New York now. I'll have to look them up and see if I have any luck catching a performance. What are some good live music places in DR?...and I am only talking about Spanish Rock since you can find Merengue and Bachata all over the place.

Escott, my personal computer at home is crapped out right now and I don't have any mp3's on my work laptop. I can possibly send you some stuff over the weekend though. In the mean time hop on a Kazzaa and look for some of the bands mentioned. My all time drunken bar song is "lamento boliviano" by enanitos verdes...and oldie but a goodie.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Toque Profundo is one of the better groups I've heard when it comes to Spanish Rock. Their concerts are good, Tony is a natural performer, although a bit crazy. The best show I saw them do was in Club Arroyo Hondo (Jevito Heaven), he was singing 'El Jevito' and shut someone up in the crowd, threatened to jump off the stage and beat his ass and still finished his set. Good performance by a crazy 6ft 5 Haitian singing in Spanish.............AL Jadaqui is good too, that song 'Vengo de Medio Lao' was one of their popular songs. Since I came back to the US, I haven't heard too much from groups over there. Groups like Aterciopelados, La Ley, Molotov, Cafe Tacuba, and others, are good in concert, I had the good fortune of seeing those groups perform before, the chances of them ever coming to Virginia are slim to none, oh well..............

Tribu del Sol, what ever happened to them???? They should be put on the side of a milk carton :devious: :p Besides they only had two or three songs that got airplay while I was there..........

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
diosamusical said:
They are similar to Mana and sound like a spanish version Radiohead.

What!!!!!
Not in a gazillion trillion, billion years will they ever come close to Radiohead. And specially being similar to Mana.
If you listen to both cd's there are different musical universes. Both very good!! Please dont get me wrong, but different. In my view, the most interesting things to come out of mexico recently are Molotov and Plastilina Mosh.

I think you'd like Gustavo Ceratti's new CD better. More experimental. There is also a wonderful cd thats just come out called Bajofondo Tango Club. Its a blend of old argentine tango with dub or ambience and haunting female vocals. Really interesting.

If you like Radiohead, please try to listen to Sigur Ross from Iceland. Radiohead is even doing a new album with them.Sweet!
:knockedou

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Jon S.[/B] said:
. Good performance by a crazy 6ft 5 Haitian singing in Spanish.............
Tony is not Haitian ([Seinfeld] not that there's anything wrong with that... [/S]); he's a black Dominican. I think that he's from San Carlos.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I thought he was Haitian by way of his parents, oh well, doesn't make a difference..........still makes good music

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Mana and Cafe Tacuba are Mexican, not Spanish rock groups..... If you want a good Spanish group go for Seguridad Social.....

For a More Latin American group....check out Los Prisioneros, probably the best rock group in the history of the Spanish language :)! La Ley, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs....they're not bad either....they're classics.....

The best song Los Prisioneros made was Por que no se van del pais the lyrics are always great to listen to :):):) :

Suenas con Nueva York y con Europa
Te quejas de nuestra gente y de su ropa
Vives amando el cine Arte del Normandie
Si eres artista y los indios no te entienden
Si tu vanguardia aqui no se vende
Si quieres ser occidental de segunda mano
?Por que no te vas?
?Por que no se van,no se van del pais?

Si viajas todos los anos a Italia
Si la cultura es tan rica en Alemania
?Por que,el proximo ano te quedas alla?
Si aqui no tienes los medios que reclamas
Si aqui tu genio y talento no da fama
Si tu apellido no es Gonzales ni Tapia
?Por que no te vas?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Don't Think Much of Those Lyrics.

Talked a lot about Europe, but didn't mention Yanqui Imperialism (an oxymoron) even once! Can't we find some Venezuelan or Cuban Rock! Viva Che!

Tom (aka XR)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
DR rock

First, let me say that listening to rock in spanish(not Spanish rock since all rock in Spanish is not from Spain) is like listening to merengue in English. In other words....it stinks.

Most Latin rock groups are cheap imitations of the rock greats. Examples are: La Ley and other Ley imitators are all Duran Duran imitators, and do a pretty bad job of it. Even our local group Tabu Tek is a Duran Duran copy and follows closely the 80s formula of great ones like Colin Newman, Killing Joke, Peter Murphy and Bill Nelson. Sorry we have nothing that even comes close to Radiohead.

The best known DR group Toque Profundo went bankrupt in DR and left for New York. The last report from N.Y. was that they were getting good press and fan approval. But I find that just a lot of hot air. Its too early to get that successful in such demanding city, with so much talent around. Their last CD got lots of play in DR radio, but little sales. Toque Profundo imitates the best and most original spanish rock group Heroes del Silencio, but fails to meet the "international" seal of approval that HS has earned. Vocalist Bunbury is the best lead singer of any group in Spanish, but his latest stuff is too commercial. He has lost his touch, although his sales have gone up. He is now top 40 taste.

A group called Top 40 in DR is just a parody of all groups. They sing mostly other peoples song, and to put salt on a wound, another group has risen with the name of Top 4, which is even better, yet they are not truly into rock. Top 40 has sued Top 4. They have no chance, since top 40 has never recorded anything.

Tribu Del Sol is making efforts to rise from the dead. Chances are slim and none. Al Jadaqui made lots of noise with their first production in DR, but never left our shores. Their second production did not break any new ground and they are now just a beach party band trying to survive the onlaught of bad record sales.

The latest recording for a DR band came from Tabu Tek who tried to get into Dominican folklore by turning "Compadre Pedro Juan" into rock. It was kind of interesting, but it just did not have any lasting effect. The rest got lost in the shuffle. They even tried to sell CDs by using a concert at Casa Teatro where they charged $150 pesos, which included a free CD. Their main song "Andas" was not strong enough to get them off shore.Sales were minimal.

Pavel Nu?ez is a DR publicity stunt. Lots of money is being invested in this weirdo with no charisma, who looks like an overdone hippie. The guy even looks like a fag, acts and sings like one. He is not rock. Not even in Spanish. This guy comes from the Chichi Peralta school of boredom. Another flash in the pan.

The report card on DR rock in Spanish is: F for failure

TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]diablorojo[/B] said:
Suenas con Nueva York y con Europa
Te quejas de nuestra gente y de su ropa
Vives amando el cine Arte del Normandie
Si eres artista y los indios no te entienden
Si tu vanguardia aqui no se vende