9/22/03 - 10/2/03

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
I will be at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus from 9/22/03 - 10/2/03 and notice that the weather is picted to be showers everyday I am there. www.weather.com says LaRomana will be 30-40% chance of rain the whole time I am there.

Now, I read that and get kind of mad....however, I know that I have read on plenty of boards, that this means that you'll see the occasional morning/evening shower.

Can anyone give me a little info on this? Can I expect rain all the time, or just periodically? I am not real sure how the weather works down there.

Can't wait to get there! Thanks in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You can expect rain

30-40% . If that's what they said.

Those are usually POP figures, e.g. there is a 30% chance it wil rain vs. 305 of the day it will be rainings.

Typically rain is gully washers all at once then it stops and then restarts or not, or lingers with overhead cloud. But the sort of all day Vancouver rain you don't get as much.

Rachael

Feb 8, 2002
I will be making my fifth trip to the D.R. on Friday (Can't wait) and have always seen the same weather predictions. When I was there in March, not one drip, day or night. Also on one other trip, at around 9:00 p.m. it would rain for about a half an hour. Have never lost a day to rain. Hope my luck still holds, don't worry about the weather, go and have fun, you couldn't change it even if you wanted to.

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
Thanks everyone for the input! I really can't wait to get down there, I have heard nothing but good things.

Any suggestions on excursions, please let me know. I have read about doon-buggy and snorkeling tours as well as swimming with the dolphins.

This will be my honeymoon, so we'd love to get off the resort and see some of the culture as well as do some different things. We really want to do some nice snorkeling.

Thanks again!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Escott said:
I will follow you down on Wednesday. Of the 100 days I have spent in the DR in the last year rain is NOT an issue no matter what the weather man says. They usually cant find their elbow.
Scott, I know where my elbow is. I also know the exact locations of several anatomical locations where I think you should consider sticking that remark.

It is possible to forecast afternoons, or evenings when those storms will be a possibility if you watch the waves moving in from the east in Hurricane season, and cold fronts approaching from the northwest the rest of the year. But for those dumb websites, it's easier just to add 30%-40% chance of rain to the forecast because that's so vague as to be meaningless.

Anyway, like everybody said, the sun is out here 99% of the time. When it does storm it's usually gone in 1/2 hour. Only a few days a year where it rains all day for a few days. Usually in February-March-April. And even then it's not like rain up north. The raindrops are warm! It's fun sitting on the beach at your favorite bar with the warm tropical rain coming down and imbibing on your favorite alcoholic refreshment.

Stop worrying, and have fun!

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
Can anyone tell me the currency that I will be using when I am down there and what the current exchange rate is?

Do you suggest I change money at the airport, or can I make purchases with dollars and credit cards?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Currency of the DR is pesos. Right now 32 to 1 US dollar. It's been suggested that you only change a small about at the airport. The exchange houses will give you a better rate then the airport. Credit cards are fine.

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
Thanks for the info!

With my wedding, work, part-time schooling...etc., I just about forgot about this...kind of important information to know, don't you think?

Thanks again!

Money

Anna: Credit Cards, I think not, the cc fraud is rampant these days. Been a long time for you hasnt it.

Take the US$ in small denominations and forget the exchange to peso stuff, the US dollar is accepted almost everywhere and you can make much better deals with it.

Wooglin: You are going to the south shore, be sure and visit Altos de Chauvon and quaint reconstructed town, also the Outback safari or Bavaro Runners is an excellent way to see the real Dominican countryside.

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
Thanks again. I wrote down the names of those excursions and we will definetly look into them. I am really pumped to check out the D.R. I was getting sick of Mexico...ha ha

See you all later!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Money

Hlywud said:
Anna: Credit Cards, I think not, the cc fraud is rampant these days. Been a long time for you hasnt it.

Take the US$ in small denominations and forget the exchange to peso stuff, the US dollar is accepted almost everywhere and you can make much better deals with it.

You have got to be kidding. You will get raped if you use US Dollars and NOT pesos. Exchange them at a cambio after you shop for a good rate and spend pesos!!

Wud, you ok? They will rip you on the translation (exchange rate) in restaurants and just about any place you go, give you change at a bad rate in Pesos because they do NOT have dollars as change.

Scott

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
But if you're in a restaurant and just finished eating, then what? Wash dishes?

To avoid hassles, its best to change money to pesos at an exchange house, there you will get way better rate than in the hotel and still better than the bank.

for example, right now you can get pesos at

US$1=

33 at exchange house
32 at the bank
28 at the hotel

Wooglin

May 14, 2003
Thanks everyone for all the advice/info/encouragemnt. The D.R. is a great place, beautiful, kind and a really great time. The Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus is the nicest place I have ever been to, and from what the locals say, its the nicest place in La Romana.

I used my credit card several times, and the exchange rate through the bank was better than what was offered anywhere else I saw.

I will be back - the D.R. is a great place!

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip, now go tell all your friends to visit as well!!!