For all the spelling-bee anal-retentive geeks. A must read.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aoccdrnig to a rschceearh at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in waht oedrr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
fsrit and lsat lteter be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a ttaol mses and
you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Fraeinkg amzanig huh?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
AZB, taht's rlaely naet! It is aslo porlbbay a good expalnitian of why it's so dufifcilt to porof raed pahreps.

In a chat setting I agree with your position that it's a bit anal to be pointing out typos. In most messages posted here, too.

But, I also know that just like the brain may take visual clues about just the first and last letters and fill in the rest, it is also true that people's opinions of you are formed not just by the content of your postings here, but by their appearance as well.

This same judging occurs when meeting someone face to face as you well know judging by your posts on women. You notice the clothes, when speaking you notice the words or vocabluary or accent and judge based on those factors. And in here, it's an even more important clue as to the person's intelligence sometimes because all of the visual and auditory clues are lacking. So the brain compensates more in forming an opinion of someone based on their proper - or improper - use of the language.

Tom (aka XR)

Me, I need all the help I can get. So I still re-edit to correct typos! And I like to use cute formatting to make me appear to be smarter than I really am as well, like above.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
AZB said:
Fraeinkg amzanig huh?

AZB, it is pretty neat stuff. Two serious questions:

1. Is there a citation on this; where'd you come up with it? On siht. [Reminds me of Pig Latin or that scene in Amadeus where Wolfie catches his bride-to-be under the banquet table and has her decypher his words spoken backwards.]

2. Do you and Tom have jobs or at least Saturday hobbies?

3. Why don't you leave those poor women alone in "their" Doiminican Men thread? You know that if you didn't pester them, it would soon turn into a competitive weeping session about how their "mandundonemewrong."

Best, P

Dec 9, 2002
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing. Last week, the exact same text was flying around the company I work for here in England, now here I am, on DR1, reading exactly the same words. Amazing.

I did consider copying and pasting it in a thread, but then I thought, nah, they'll all think I'm nuts ;)

Pasha - I took the Cambridge University reference to be Cambridge University here in England. That may not be the case of course, but it's just the sort of crap us Brits like to do research into!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yes I got that in my mail too, last week. I just thought I share it with you all.
Pasha, I have 24 hrs internet dedicated line in my office. Upon free time, I read and post. I just love internet and bashing women. Hahahaha. Just kidding.
Most of the women on DR1 are my friends. I have high respect for our anna, cris and many more; Jan is my buddy. The new ones seem to take some serious offense. Like people say, its all in the name of fun and games and a joke is only funny until someone gets offended, then it becomes hilarious.

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Here's a spelling proficiency test for the anal retentives...

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Spelling Test.htm

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Dominican Babe said:
....but it's just the sort of crap us Brits like to do research into!

DBabe - you should've posted it! As for research carp, no one, absolutely no one can beat the Americans at that game, particularly when it comes to "understanding" the sex life of low order critters. Brits' problem seems more to be that they come up with top flight stuff [like the light bulb or whatever] and then haven't a clue about what to do with it until some Japanese company puts it into the market under their name. By the way, I think English women are terrific...hard to keep from getting whip lashed [no, not the British Disease kind] when I walk around London.

Come, come AZB..... you're far too modest. I see the way you flit around provoking and bashing just about everyone who touches a keyboard. Seriously, I do believe that you're on good terms with most of the DR1 people and your sweet post about digital cameras revealed your true nature.

Have a nice weekend both of you, P

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
AZB said:
Aoccdrnig to a rschceearh at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in waht oedrr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
fsrit and lsat lteter be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a ttaol mses and
you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Fraeinkg amzanig huh?

I can't believe I was able to read that! I feel so smart...though maybe I shouldn't....

I got this on the spelling test:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, support@sentex.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Bummer! I just got home (I'm a little drunk, so if my typing isn;t as accurate as normal please forgive me!), I tried the spelling test as spelling is one of my strong points (don't ask what the other are hahahah), and I got the same as Chopical - the bloody thing doesn't work!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OMG, I understood every word. I just kenw my brain was installed backwards. I alawys sepll ilke that.

BTW DB so nice to see you loosened up. You're fun tonight

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
OMG, I understood every word. I just kenw my brain was installed backwards. I alawys sepll ilke that.

BTW DB so nice to see you loosened up. You're fun tonight

She is fun every night. But drunken posts are always more fun to read! :p

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Let's try this!

Here's the spelling test written out; its link is:

http://www.sentex.net/~mmcadams/spelling.html

Choose the correct spelling for each word. The "correct spellings" are those used in the U.S.A. N.B. - A few of the words are spelled differently in the British Commonwealth... The author of this quiz was a copy editor for many years, and the list is comprised of words she deemed to be most commonly misspelled. Assuming the link is not working for you, I will post the list of the words in their correct form on Monday morning, Italian time.

1. annoint anoint

2. coolly cooly

3. supersede supercede

4. irresistible irresistable

5. developement development

6. alright all right

7. seperate separate

8. tyranny tyrrany

9. harrass harass

10. desiccate dessicate

11. indispensable indispensible

12. recieve receive

13. pursue persue

14. reccomend recommend

15. desperate desparate

16. liquify liquefy

17. seize sieze

18. cemetary cemetery

19. subpoena subpena

20. definately definitely

21. ocassion occasion

22. consensus concensus

23. inadvertant inadvertent

24. minuscule miniscule

25. judgment judgement

26. inoculate innoculate

27. drunkenness drunkeness

28. occurence occurrence

29. dissipate disippate

30. weird wierd

31. alot a lot

32. accomodate accommodate

33. embarrassment embarassment

34. ecstacy ecstasy

35. repetition repitition

36. battalion batallion

37. despair dispair

38. irritable irritible

39. accidently accidentally

40. liaison liason

41. memento momento

42. brocolli broccoli

43. millennium millenium

44. yeild yield

45. existence existance

46. independent independant

47. sacreligious sacrilegious

48. insistent insistant

49. excede exceed

50. privilege priviledge

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Daniel W.

Here are the answers...

Some of the words in the quiz do have VARIANTS; variants are neither the ?preferred? nor the ?correct? forms. Be aware that a few of the words are spelled differently in the British Commonwealth?

1. anoint 2. coolly 3. supersede 4. irresistible 5. development 6. all right 7. separate

8. tyranny 9. harass 10. desiccate 11. indispensable 12. receive 13. pursue 14. recommend

15. desperate 16. liquefy 17. seize 18. cemetery 19. subpoena 20. definitely 21. occasion

22. consensus 23. inadvertent 24. minuscule 25. judgment 26. inoculate 27. drunkenness

28. occurrence 29. dissipate 30. weird 31. a lot 32. accommodate 33. embarrassment

34. ecstasy 35. repetition 36. battalion 37. despair 38. irritable 39. accidentally 40. liaison

41. memento 42. broccoli 43. millennium 44. yield 45. existence 46. independent

47. sacrilegious 48. insistent 49. exceed 50. privilege