The best Marina to refuel my boat......

Antiguan

Sep 20, 2003
www.adventureantigua.com
.....after leaving the Turks and Caisos?
I will be bringing a new boat from St. Pete in Florida to Antigua at the start of November and have to stop to re-fuel in the DR on my way to Puerto Rico. Any good info on a safe harbour to stop for fuel and a rest?
Thanks for any help.
eli

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Harbour

Most boats stop off at Luperon Harbor. You have to cart the fuel to the boat, but it is fairly safe and a good place for a rest, before you tackle the Mona Passage. There are a few slips at the marina. Most boats stay on anchor in the harbor. (I assume it is a sail boat? If not, suggestions for the passage are still valid)

The passage under sail - budget 18 to 24 hours. Leave Sapodilla Bay (T&C) (not one of the harbors, but anchor in Sapodilla bay the previous day) early in the morning to get the sun behind you as you go over the Caicos Banks. Leave Sapodilla Bay early in the morning. Do not do this at night and follow a well-charted course - it is quite shallow and the elk coral will scare you. Keep a sharp eye out. If you have to stop, salt key is a good place.

Make sure to be somewhere off the coast of Hispaniola early in the morning as you'll probably have to beat up to Luperon. Late in the day, the waves and winds pick up and you'll battle steep swells and winds on the nose. About 30 miles from shore, you'll start to smell the smoke from woodfires - it is a good feeling. Your next stop before the Mona and Puerto Rico, is Samana, if you choose to stop there.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Luperon is a possibility, but then you will still have a long haul against the wind to get to the east end of the DR and the Mona Passage. Check when leaving the Turks and Caicos to see whether you could make the east end of the DR. If you can, go for it and rest and refuel in Samana before crossing the Mona.

Antiguan

Sep 20, 2003
www.adventureantigua.com
thanks guys. I will be on a 52 foot power cat. It has a cruise speed of about 20mph. I think my range on the tanks will be about 300 miles and i will probably carry containers as well. Thanks again, eli.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice! Tell us when you go screaming by and we'll stand on shore and wave at you! You have no problems! Still be careful of both the passage from the Turks and Caicos and the Mona. These are not friendly stretches of water.

I'd leave the Turks and Caicos and go directly to Samana then. Once you leave the Caicos Banks, stay a little offshore so that you don't hit the land effects around Hispaniola with wind on the nose and steep waves from about middle of the day onwards.

Last edited:

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
The Thornless Path to Windward.....

I did the run from St. Pete to Luperon and return first part of this year in my sailing catamaran. BY ALL MEANS...Purchase a copy of "The Gentelman's Guide to Passages South by Bruce Van Sant.
Bruce has made this run hundreds of times last thirty or so years.
Bruce "holds your hand every inch of the way" and keeps you out of trouble in dozens of different ways. ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE!
Luperon harbor is a WONDERFUL stop. BUT....DO NOT...under any circumstances do the entrance in the dark! When nearing the entrance you can call on channel 68 if you need advice or help of ANY KIND. Dozens of boaters will respond. When anchored call yacht "Wind Dancer" on 68 and chat with Dave and Sandy. They will gladly give you the latest scoop on EVERYTHING.
You may wish to email Dave prior to departure from St. Pete with any questions. flutterby Luperon@yahoo..com Best place to eat in town.. Bahia Luperon Restaurant...Great Food, VERY reasonable prices, English Spoken, Yachties favorite hangout.
You will find an excellent, free dingy dock on north side of town pier. Communication to US is EXCELLENT and cheap at Codetel.
They also exchange money at a favorable rate. Should you need an experienced crew for the trip as far as Luperon, email me. I just maybe could find the time to go with you....LOL Have a wonderful and SAFE voyage ! :cool: