▫▫ XR's Dominican Hurricane Tips ▫▫

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
XR's Dominican Hurricane Tips

For ex-Dominicans, present Dominicans, and future Dominicans.

We're currently at peak of the Atlantic hurricane season. Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Caribbean and making two basic meteorological points:
  1. There is no need to panic.
  2. We could all be killed.
Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in the Dominican Republic. If you're new to the Caribbean, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one.'' Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:
  • STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
  • STEP 2. Put these supplies into your suitcase.
  • STEP 3. Fly to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.
Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in the Dominican Republic. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items.

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE. If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:
  1. It is reasonably well-built, and
  2. It is located in Nebraska.
Unfortunately, if your home is located in the Dominican Republic, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay you money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss. Since Hurricane Georges, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by El Burro & La Soga Insurance Company of Santiago, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, either El Burro or La Soga are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS: Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors, and if it's a major hurricane, all the toilets. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:
  • Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off.
  • Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.
  • Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.
  • "Hurricane-proof'' windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.
HURRICANE PROOFING YOUR PROPERTY: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc. You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool. If you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately. Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your Dominican driver's license. If it says anything other than Pico Duarte - you live in a low-lying area. The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely, and can share Presidentes along the route.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES: If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Dominican tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last Domino table and bottle of Brugal. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:
  • 23 flashlights.
  • At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out, when the power goes out, to be the wrong size for the flashlights.
  • Bleach. No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for. But it's traditional, so GET some!
  • A 55-gallon drum of underarm deodorant.
  • A big knife that you can strap to your leg. This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.
  • A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the tarantulas. Ask anybody who went through David. After the hurricane, there WILL be irate tarantulas.
  • $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.
Of course these are just basic precautions. As any hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck and remember - it's great living in paradise!

Tom (aka XR)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
ROFL, XR!

Crack me up! I have tears in my eyes. You know, if the weather business turns sour, you've got another career in standup.

One question. Is there a direct flight to Nebraska?

barbchuck

Oct 14, 2003
Tarantulas?

Ok, Funny post!
But, I hope you were kidding about the Tarantula's.
I am coming in November.

Barb:bored:

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
XR, I`m still laughing!!! It`s very funny!! :laugh:

Ps. How much is the trip to Nebraska??:laugh: :p

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
XR's Bald Hippo Airlines Replies:

Sanson said:
XR, I`m still laughing!!! It`s very funny! How much is the trip to Nebraska?
How much you got? Send it, plus ten percent for propinas.

Tom (aka XR)

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Good Post Xanadu - Funny and informative

Here are some additional comments from another Hurricane Land - Sunny South Florida.

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off. IF MADE CORRECTLY, THEY WON'T FALL OFF. HOWEVER, THEY PROBABLY WON'T SURVIVE A DIRECT HIT (EYE PASSES OVER YOU) OF A CATEGORY 4 OR 5. Use 1/2 inch Plywood http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/shutters/index2.html

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December. THESE ARE BEST CHOICE. USE GLOVES TO INSTALL. STEEL SHUTTERS ARE PREFERRED TO ALUMINIUM. I HAVE PREDRILLED HOLES AND HARDWARE. WITH A CORDLESS SCREWDRIVER, I CAN INSTALL MINE IN ABOUT TWO HOURS. TIP - DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE WIND PICKS UP TO INSTALL THEM OR YOU'LL HAVE BLOOD FLOWING FROM MORE PLACES THAN YOUR HANDS. PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED IN FLORIDA THIS WAY.

http://www.stormsmart.com/bb1window.html

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them. YES, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE BUT WORK GREAT.

"Hurricane-proof'' windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska. THESE WILL WITHSTAND THE WIND FORCE BUT NOT THE FORCE OF A WIND DRIVEN OBJECT. SO I DON'T CONSIDER THEM WORTHWHILE EXCEPT FOR BUSINESSES THAT DON'T HAVE PEOPLE TO PUT UP SHUTTERS BEFORE A STORM.

The key to protecting your house is keeping the wind out. If it gets in, the pressure differential will probably rip off your roof. Oh- and stay away from the beach and away from downed power lines. Most fatalities occur when people are drowned by the storm surge or are electrocuted in standing water after the storm passes.

Periodically check this link during hurricane season.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

More links:

http://www.stormsmart.com/bb1roof.html

This page is mostly applicable to Floridians but has some good info Dominicans can use too - see bottom right of page.
http://www.wsvn.com/hurricane/

Sorry I wasn't as humorous as Xanadu ... we can't all be that funny!

Randy

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I'm coming to your house if we evacuate

XR - Such dry wit!!! I love it!!!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
haha

Very good - 'its funny because its true'

Its just a shame Nebraska hasnt got the beaches

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
I wanted to say that dont pick on Nebraska,ha,ha. I live here and tommorow it is supposed to be ten degress. I will be in sosuo bay next week. If any one wants to write to me, we can arrange to meet.

All evidence of past newbie errors are now gone like the Nebraska snows in July! Nice meeting you and your friends Rami. - XR

Last edited by a moderator:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Rami

Rami said:
I wanted to say that dont pick on Nebraska,ha,ha. I live here and tommorow it is supposed to be ten degress.
Well I am originally from Iowa (Dubuque) and we Ioweigians always pick on Nebraska. Not as much as on Minnesota and Wisconsin, but still we do.

Here. I posted this just for you!

Tom (aka XR)

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I think this person is trying to point out Ignorance!

The events of hericanes are in seasons, they are two periods. The idea of preparation for Dominicans happens to be beyond their fatalistic atitude. I am a Domincan and have found that "nature is one of the things an mystery that they don't think will happen to me" because I am a good person. My mother moved to the Villa Trina are when she got married, and never boiled the water for drinking, she blane the hills for the cursed paracites, I questioned her about boiling water for drinking she blew up on me for pointing her naivete. Most all Dominican NAivete suprise me even those that have attended the University use no commonsense. Stay where they are at even when less than a mile from the low laying areas. (they rather drawn than leave their belongings). They build their home at the riverbank and never kook at the once in a hundred year flood line. Their idea of a foundation is three cinderblocks deep. on top of top-soil. even if there is no earthquake, their floors cracks, due to tree roots. Common-sense would be to dig until all topsoil is gone then laid the foundation and fill in with clay! I did this for my parents home. It was built over ten years ago not a single problem with it.
There are few constuction codes, the building department is there to collect permit fees only there are no inspections or area that they deny a permit, (the inspector is subject to bribe ) sometimes the hause has been up for several years before they bother to register it at the permit department, most public jobs are part of the spoil system, all party member that help get whomever in was promise a public service job. I went thrught Aduana/custom, even the guard there was accepting bribe for placing you in front of the line. I find that until one big thing happen... all jobs should be by merrit not who you know/or who you are. these disasters will always happen.
"These are disaster looking to happen". they don't understand that they need changes, it is beyond the ralm of their imagination , they only like to complain who things are, only when their own party is out. If they are in... they are happy that they will be/are set to plundder and rape..!

Last edited: