▫▫ Earthquake Reports ▫▫

DeeDR

Mar 27, 2003
Earthquake anyone?

Diod anyone else feel it? 12:45 am in Santo Domingo... about 15 seconds, not very strong...

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
yes...felt real strong in Santiago........

....plus after shock.......was easily 20-25 secons long here....the 1st one....and 10 seconds for the second one that came a few minutes after the 1st.

Best one I have experienced here in the DR.

Best, Dave

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Felt it here in Bavaro, had the hanging light fixtures swaying. Cannot blame the Presidentes for this one. Regards, PJT

If you want to report your experience, here is the US Geological Survey website link: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Last edited:

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Yep, I felt it too in Cabarete and actually crawled out of bed to post on the subject. It's good to know that I'm not going nuts, or that Orilla del Mar isn't about to collapse before I have to move.

It was quite a cool experience, wasn't it, as long as no-one experienced any real problems with it?

Let's see if I can get a bit more shut eye now, as I've disturbed the cat, which isn't good news.

Goodnight.

Linda. :bandit:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I prefer tornadoes

They let you know they are coming.

Felt it very strongly here in the hills above Cabarete and Sosua. Power left immediately. I have a wood roof on each building here 30'x30' open underneath. It screamed and groaned like it was coming down on me in bed. When I looked, the pool had waves five feet high sloshing back and forth, I kid you not. We lost about two feet in thirty seconds. Lots of equipment, pictures, plates, glasses on the floor. It's a mess.

Alba felt it strongly in Santiago but says there is no damage to the house there at all.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S. Just had a slight aftershock here at 1:07AM as well.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
we felt it very strong here, too - Cabarete. Here, too power went off immediately during.
Anybody knows allready how stong this was?? Was by far the strongest quake I ever felt here.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I am checking for data on the earthquake nets. Haven't seen it pop in yet. I will let you know when I find out.

Tom (aka XR)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Santiago's earthquake was really tough. I was stunned as i thought the house was going to come crashing down. Car alarms went off everywhere. Lights went out instantly. I am sure some cheap structures have sustained damage. I hope no one is hurt. Larry is in my house and we both had to run out in the street in our night clothes. I have never felt an earth quake of this magnitude in my whole life. I mean the house was shaking and the earth was moving below. This was a big one, atleast in santiago.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Sosua

Wow.

We felt it...It felt like the entire building shifted and dropped. It had to be the strangest noise and sensation I have ever felt. The waves coming out of the pool were well over 8 feet. Everything in here is on the floor...fridge is across the room, what a f'ing mess.

I did not know there was any siesmic activity on the North Coast...

The DR has been an experience. Good, Bad? The jury is still out.

All the best.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Here's a trace for a seismic station in the Mona Passage between PR and the DR. Don't have a strength yet for it.

http://rmsismo.uprm.edu/English/index.html

P.S.
Geez AZB glad you're OK. Glad it wasn't just me. I woke up screaming when the roof sounded like it was coming down. Couldn't get myself to move out the door or under the bed. Then again it felt like the door was coming to me!

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Another aftershock here at 1:22AM. The charts seem to show more movement the further east you look in PR. Wonder what happened there.

Cmilliman there is a very active earthquake fault off the NE coast of the DR. It has a branch fault running SW into the Cibao valley if I remember, too.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Gee great! My worst nightmare has turned into reality.

It wasn't so strong here, but I made it out in about 6 seconds. I have always been ready for this, still I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I am sure the center was somewhere near the middle of the island. I got a call from my brother in Santiago, they are OK but a bit shaken.

Gee great, I won't sleep for days.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The earth is still moving. last aftershock= 1:34am. I can't sleep. Larry and I are out side every 10 mins. Lights have come back. Thanks god.
I tell you, it was a miracle that the house didn't come down on us. The damn metal gates can be a death trap.
Damn the house is moving again. I am going out.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
USGS has the epicenter as: 14 km ( 9 mi) SSE of Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Magnitude 6.5, 10 km deep.
Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is the release of information from USGS.

The following is a release by the United States Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center: A strong earthquake occurred about 10 miles (20 km) north of Santiago, Dominican Republic or about 95 miles (150 km) north northwest of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic at 10:45 PM MDT, Sep 21, 2003 (Sep 22 at 12:45 AM AST in Dominican Republic). The magnitude and location may be revised when additional data and further analysis results are available. Minor damage reported at Santiago, Dominican Republic. Also felt in western Puerto Rico.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_yzak.html

Regards, PJT

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Last damn aftershock must have shorted something that got knocked loose during the quake. Damage inspection tomorrow! Shorted out our inverter. Back up on the generator here. Still no light. Alba says now all the walls in our house in SW Santiago are cracked. We have a few that have seperated a bit here. Wow. 6.5!. Plus aftershocks here at 1:07A (barely noticeable, but my monitor was bouncing) 1:22A (stronger) and 1:30A (a good 3.0-4.0 for 5-6 seconds). And I have nothing but some 151 left in the house to put me to sleep!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Let's all pray the damage is nothing more than cracks in the walls and some shorted nerves, hope nobody got hurt. Regards, PJT