Refugee Asylum

BitterSweet

Sep 22, 2003
I have a few questions that require immediate answer, if anyone can help.

1. Who (from what countries) can apply for refugee asylum in the Dominican Republic (DR)?

2. What are the parameters, i.e., is there only political asylum or can someone who escapes to the DR eligible?

3. How does one seek asylum?

Any and all information will be helpful. Thanks.

-BitterSweet

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ecuadorian Ex-Presidents

Have a pretty easy go of it. Of course if you believe the current not-ex president they are plotting against him in the DR, so it is a mix of political asylum and subversive plotting.

I'd have to think seriously that the economic refugees would have a hard go at claiming asylum ( like we get here) or Haiti would be empty right now.

Last edited:

BitterSweet

Sep 22, 2003
Ricktoronto,

Thanks for replying. So, you think I should just go up to the Dominican Embassy and apply for asylum? It's that easy???? Somehow I doubt it.

I am clueless about the govt. of the DR. From what I've been reading on the various forums, you're well-versed....the big chicken in Boca chica and I would appreciate all helpful info. :classic: All kidding aside, this is a question of free life in the DR or imprisonment in the native country for someone dear to me, who is not a US citizen. I don't want to send them to the US embassy because they would be extradited ASAP. But I don't want to send them to the Dominican embassy if the same thing will happen.

If you have sources I could email in DR, I would appreciate it. Thanks!.

-BitterSweet

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Due to our long history of dictatorships and political persecution, Latin American countries have developed over the last two centuries a tradition of easily granting asylum to persons alleging political persecution in their home countries, specially ex-presidents and other high government officials. A recent example was the asylum granted by the Dominican government to the ex-president of Ecuador who sought refuge in the Dominican Embassy in Quito. Despite some initial protests, the Ecuadoran government complied with its treaty obligations and granted a safe-conduct for the ex-president to leave Ecuador for the Dominican Republic.

Asylum for economic refugees or for criminals on the run is a totally different matter. It?s just not granted under the present immigration statutes.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Read Fabio's Post

BitterSweet said:
Ricktoronto,

Thanks for replying. So, you think I should just go up to the Dominican Embassy and apply for asylum? It's that easy???? Somehow I doubt it.

You may want to give a few details of the situation without giving this person away. I would think someone at risk of extradition by the US by going to the US Embassy, which would be an odd place to seek asylum in the DR to begin with if he's a US citizen for criminal activity hasn't got a hope. I am sure the DR gov't would turn him over since he's less important than DR/US relations.

Where's he from? What did he do? How is he suffering policital persecution? Is he a wanted felon? (If so how'd he get in I wonder?) etc., etc., etc...........

BitterSweet

Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for the legal lessons. Obviously I am not using the correct term.

This person is not a criminal - not even a misdemeanor! - nor a politico. Just Cuban.
It can be debated as to whether Cuban citizens are subject to political persecution. I guess it depends on one's perspective.

So...what is the perspective of the Dominican Government? Is it possible for a Cuban to seek refuge in the DR? What are the chances they will be granted refuge?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well at least he wouldn't be extradited by the Americans

If he not wanted by the US if he went to the American Embassy he'd be thrown out (but not extradited which actually means they'd arrest him and take him to the USA for prosecution).

If he was a Cuban baseball star he'd be OK, or maybe a spy or espionage agent the Americans wolud want to recruit he'd be OK.

It sounds, per my Haiti comment, he's a Cuban who doesn't like Cuba nor does he make a lot of money (which covers 99.9% of all Cubans) there so he's an economic refugee and as Mr. Guzman said, no chance on that basis or you'd have thousands of claims for asylum.

If the DR routinely granted asylum to every pissed-off poor Cuban they would make them get visas to enter the DR then refuse to grant the visas, to prevent an endless stream of refugee claims.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Bittersweet,

Why does this man want to leave Cuba? Is it for Money? Freedom? Love? Is he in the Cuban Military? Is he in the Gov?
I am as Anti-Castro as one can be. Just ask any of the regulars on DR1.
Feel free to e-mail me. Maybe I can be of assistance.

Tony C.