Baseball, Beisbol, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm going to do the unthinkable and "assume" (notice the first 3 letters of that word) that my beloved Red Sox are going to win tonight, or sometime before the final bell, and clinch a spot to play Oakland in the opening round of the American League Playoffs, set to begin next Tuesday..

Understanding that there is so much parity in the game today - and that all 4 underdogs won in the first round last year - it's old news to say that there are no more "dominant" teams like there seemed to be in the past.

With that said, how do you (the message board fandom) feel about this year?s entrants, and their chances at advancing to the next round and onto the World Series (sorry Robert, it's still the "World" Series, get over it).

My view is grossly skewed with MY team being in it, but on the surface I see this:

American League:

Yankees: (0.14% Dominican) Immense pressure on them to not only advance, but anything short of their 27th title will presumably induce an intense bloodletting in the upper levels of the organization. Is that a good thing or bad? If they?re winning it will be good, if they are losing it will be bad. Pretty simple.
How this team won as many games as they did is incredible, so obviously there is something special about this group.

Minnesota: (0.03%) They're playing very well, have a huge home field advantage and possess the hottest pitching staff in the ML's. Their success and the resulting confidence is also a worthy component. Very strong bullpen, excellent defense, but lacking that offensive anchor.

Oakland: (0.09%) There are only two ways to pitch to Miguel Tejada right now. A prerequisite is to not put anyone on base ahead of him. (1) Throw four changeups in the dirt and give him first base, or (2) have your catcher set up about 16-18 feet outside the plate, and don't miss "inside".

The loss of starter Mulder is significant, especially facing a lineup like Boston's that doesn't give up any at-bats. But his absence shouldn't really be felt unless they get to the second round and a 7-game series (I thought I heard that first round is 7 games now anyway, but I haven't been able to confirm that).

Red Sox: (0.09%) No comment.

National League :

Atlanta: (0.3%) An incredible (and admirable) organization. They may not be the best at anything, but they are good at everything; they can win AL or NL style. They haven't advanced very far in recent times, and this team doesn't give me any reason to think otherwise. They've received incredible production from unexpected areas, will that continue into the playoffs?

Cubs: (0.14%) I'd love to see them advance, but I think their entire lineup can be pitched to, and in the playoffs, advance scouting is instrumental, and they'll know how to pitch to "them" (Sammy "Golo" Sosa and Moises Alou) when the times arise. I could see them out quickly, but if Alou gets hot, and they are forced to pitch to Sosa, they could be very dangerous and in the mix. Starters are good, bullpen is ok.

Marlins: (0.06%) I don't have any particular read on this team. The loss of their #4 hitter and starting 3B had me writing them off 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure if they?re just the best of what's left, or are legitimate contenders. The Angels of 2003? I don't see that. Urbina to me can be terrifying when the pressure rises, I'm glad he's not on my team anymore.

Giants: (0.11% + Felipe Alou) Sentimental favorite out of the NL by way of Alou, and they have some players at nearly every position. Bonds is an anchor like no other, if pitchers have to pitch to him, there will be some crooked numbers going up.

Essentially, the results will depend heavily on the bullpens. A team with a hot offense and a strong, deep and dependable bullpen will be there at the end. Sounds simple enough, but when the tourney starts, it's truly a whole new ballgame.

Anyone else?
Thoughts?
Or am I just out riding my bike by myself?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sox won big tonight.

Kaylie1 said:
Red Sox over Oakland
Kaylie1, I love you and honor you in my heart! Everything you stand for is goodness. We share the same God.

You're the most beautiful person I've never met in my life.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
14-3 Red Sox, what a game!!!:cool: One of the few teams I'm rooting this post season

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hooray for the fans. The Sox will be going up against Oakland next week for the first round. Regards, PJT

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Boring!!!!!!!!

Frankly my dear...WHO CARES???

I have said it before and keep saying it again since I was 7 years old...baseball is an individual game. Let me explain this. As much as people continue in a hypocritical way to preach that the World Series is the ultimate goal in baseball, I still believe that fans are more interested in individual statistics. History has proved me right. Except for betting, most people check daily scores for individual statistics.

Why should I care about who wins these boring pennant races, wild cards and such, when Sammy Sosa runs over some of the inmortal legends of this game. Yes, call me Golo Sosa if you wish. To me he is baseball right now. I stopped watching games and scores when he went on the disabled and was suspended. My interest revived again when he came back and with an incredible effort lowered Mickey Mantle into 11th. place on the all time list with his 538th. HR. On the same day he became the only National League player in history to reach 100 RBIs in 9 consecutive seasons, joined Jimmie Foxx, whom he just passed last week in #12, and Rafael Palmeiro as the only players in history to hit 35 HRs and 100 RBIs in 9 consecutive seasons. But he also joined Willie Mays on his 63rd. multi-homer game and 4th. in history. All this in his worst season in years. Sammy has the 3 longest HRs this year. He misses an entire month and joins the elite this season and threatens to hit 40 for 6th. straight and 7th. lifetime. This guy is a living record, who will make me very happy in two more years, because I predict he will leave everybody behind, including asshole Bonds.

This is what baseball is all about. I barely remember who wons the World Series last year(The Angels??). Who cares? Does anyone here remember who won the 1955, 1967, 1972 World Series without checking the books? Worst yet, who won the pennants? The greatest feats and memorable acts in the series are individual. Kirk Gibson, a mediocre star became famous for one WS feat. Otherwise this guy is a nobody. Even if you commit a critical error in the series you are never forgotten.

I can name by memory the top 15 home runs hitters in history. Everybody knows Hank Aaron is the King, Ruth second and Mays 3rd. How many World Series have the Yankees won? I will have to check!!!

Of course I want the Cubs to win it all....but only because Sammy is there. I have changed teams according to my favorite player. call me a pirate. So what?

TW

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: Boring!!!!!!!!

Golo100 said:

Of course I want the Cubs to win it all....but only because Sammy is there. I have changed teams according to my favorite player. call me a pirate. So what?

TW

Pirata................... :p :laugh: :devious: ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Who are the "Red Sox" like a 100 year old prostitute???

They have both been "Sucking" for so long,thats all they know how to do!!!! You will never go wrong betting on the "Yankees",or the "Braves"! So why start now!!!

25 years living in Boston taught me NEVER to underestimate their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Sorry "Cleef",Good Seafood,Bad Baseball!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
who can forget Bill Buckner .... will wlays be remember for letting ball go through his glove while he was at first base.

I hear to tried to commit suicide after that...but the bullet went right under him ;)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
KenoshaChris said:
Coming from the biggest Cubs fan on this board, Sammy Sosa couldn't carry Micky Mantle's jock strap.

he does not need to carry anything.

he has proven to be in a league of his own.

Mantle was a great player but Sosa will be even greater, that if he has not achieved that already.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am amazed so many of you folks know so much about baseball.
I have met many Atlanta Brave player while I was living in atlanta but didn't know who they were. I once spend time talking to a black handsome rich guy in atlanta. He did look familiar so i thought he was from my school. After spending some time chatting about various things I suddenly realized he was Ron gant (because I saw his picture on the TV screen). I felt so stupid when I asked him if he, indeed, was ron gant. he replied "of course, I though you knew that....".

Then when I first moved to atlanta, I was in a bar waiting on a pool table which was occupied by a bunch of guys whom everyone seem to be watching. I had no idea they were brave team players ex: Dave Justice, The pitcher and the catcher etc. there were 5 of them. My redneck friend told me they were the atlanta braves. I replied like a fool," braves, who????"

But when they started to win their national championship games, I became a big fan of them. Now that I live in Santiago, I have lost touch with them again. :(

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
too funny AZB.

As much as they beat up on my Mets, I have to give the Braves their repect. Bobby Cox (the manager) has proven to be a great coach. A lot of people don't like him but he wins which is what matters.

Many thought the Braves were not going anywhere this year and they once again won the pennant. Many were saying the Phillies were going to take it and some were like me (saying it was the Mets). They proved once again how good they are even though they let go of Glavine and traded Milwood to the rival phillies for salary purposes.

They arguably have the best outfield in baseball. Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones and Gary Sheffield.

Don't worry about not recognizing them, it happens.

I was at the verizon store fixing my broekn cell phone and this guy strikes up a conversation. The guy looked familar but I could not figure out who he was. To make a long story short, I tell him "goodbye and nice talking to you" and he he is like " you don't know who I am?"

I told him I was not sure. He starts dropping hints saying " chevere, que chevere, que chevere,que chevere,que chevere,que chevere, Hay!!"

then it hit me

Turns out this guy is "EL PUMA" Jose Luis Rodriguez. A famous singer

Women (my sister included) would go nuts for this guy. I got his autograph and gave it to my sis. She was excited like a fool.

Sometimes you walk by celebrities and don't even recognize them.

As far as baseball, watch out for the METS next year!!lol (had to add that part)

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Cleef...Congrats!!!

Red Sox all the way baby!!

I truly believe this is THEIR year!!!

I'm happy the Marlins are going to be in the playoffs, and who knows from there what could happen...

But I would LOVE to see the SOX go all the way to the top...

Hate the Yankees and the Braves!!!

I'll be glued to my tv next month...!!!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
MQ..

have you ever heard "the curse of the bambino"

well...the sox are cursed and will not make it.

as much as i like manny and pedro, they will not win it this year either.

sorry to disappoint you.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Kenosha Wrong!!

Kenosha: The best thing about Mantle was that he played for the Yankees. The worst thing about Sammy is that he never played for the Yankees. Mantle was on a winning team sorrounded by stars. Sammy is sorrounded by journeymen. Even the great Ernie Banks and Billy Williams could not carry the sorry Cubs. Nobody has, nobody will.

Now Mickey Mantle was not half the athlete Sammy is. Mickey had a glass body. He never played a full season in 18 years. He never had 600 times at bat. Sammy has gone 10 times 500 times to the plate.(150 games or more 8 times)Mantle had a miserable last seven years where he never got more than 150 hits. He never came close to 200 hits. In those last 7 years he only collected 445 RBIs, something Sammy has done in 3 years consistently. Mantle had 100 RBIs only a miserly 4 times for a cleanup man, with Yankees on bases all the time. Sammy has done it 9 times with the worst lead-off hitters and AAA quality guys ahead of him.Mickey only hit 50 home runs twice. He could not even match Maris on his 61 home run season. Mantle choked. Sammy has hit 50 or more 4 times. Sammy has hit 60 home runs three times(no player in history keeps him company) Mantle only hit 30 or more HRs only 7 times, Sammy has done it 10 times. Mantle only hit 40 Hrs 4 times. Sammy has done it 6 times and with one more this season 7 times. In his last 7 years Mantle only had a high of 35 HRs(a pitiful performance) His home run rate was 15.1. Sammy blows him away with 14.0. Some people say Mantle was fast when healthy. But he only stole 153 bases. Sammy despite stopping completely his stolen bases in the last 5 years, has 233 career bases with 30 or more 3 times, including 30-30 Club.

Mantle went to bat 8102 times. Sammy still has several years left to bury Mantle even more, yet he has gone past Mantle now with only 7537 times at bat. Sammy will pass Mantle*s number of hits in two years, RBIs next year, doubles next year. Sammy has broken almost three times as many hitting records as Mantle and will continue to pile them up and eventually bury the big three, Aaron, Ruth and Bonds. Mays will be history soon. Bonds will have to play until he is 50 to stave off the rushing Sammy. Bonds better collect as many home runs as he can to make it difficult. But stopping him, he wont. Pitchers are throwing at Sammys head trying to take him out of the game. He is becoming a threat to the Yankee establishment.

What the Yankees ought to do is join him. He is a free agent next year. The Yankees need a right field. Sammy will send the ball over the center field fence higher than Ruth. Nobody hits farther than Sammy, not even Ruth.(With or without cork, aluminum or wood)

TW

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My dear Golo...

... who cares?

Well, I can think of an entire region that cares mightly. I remember very well in 1986 people telling me how they went and woke their kids out of a deep sleep to come see the TV and watch the Red Sox win the World Series. We know how that ended, but if it did anything it galvanized the love of baseball that flows through me and many others in a region that takes baseball as serious as the Vatican takes service.

(On a side, a writer from Boston was once visiting the Vatican many years ago to do a story on the Pope, and one of the Cardinals pulled him aside, and knowing he was from Boston, showed him his "lucky" socks underneath his robe - a pair or Red Sox with the logos emblazoned all over them.)

I've seen rows of nuns leading the wave in the bleachers.... Middle Easterners (without a stitch of English beyond "Fenway Frank") wearing the full towel headdress and with Red Sox jackets on chanting "Pedro, Pedro, Pedro".

I sat next to Dale Murphy in the bleachers a few years ago and he was taking his crew of Latter Day Something or Others to Fenway from Atlanta to see - where, as he put it - "the most passionate fandom in baseball is on display at every home game."

I've sat next to and near Steven King on numerous occasions - he's in section 27, in the teens if you're curious to track him down. You'd be hardpressed to find a more die-hard Sox fan.

Even AFTER they won the World Series, if you go to see the Sox play IN Anaheim California, it will better than 70/30 Red Sox fans.

Point being, a lot of people care.

I'm happy that Sammy keeps your attention on baseball. If you really only care about stats and believe it's an individual game, so be it. You'll be wrong, but that wouldn't be the first time we've disagreed about baseball.

Baseball is the ultimate in team sports (football is close). It's the only game where the defense controls the ball; even if the pitcher dominates, he's still has a catcher doing all the dirty work for him, and there has yet to be a 27 K performance.

Individual accomplishments in baseball are really trumped up by the press and most notably the dopes on ESPN that give you more absurd statistics and bravado/machisimo baloney than any sensible person can stand.

But where the rubber meets the road is that it's a team game. If you've never played sports, then the value of a team accomplishment vs. an individual statistic is lost on such neophytes of sport, competition and the will to win.

Ask any baseball player if they'd prefer a W.S. ring or an individual record and I think the results would be obvious, Sammy included.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Lifetime twins fan here- but do feel sorry for all you Suck Sox fans. Maybe some day.......

Status
Not open for further replies.