Hello, My Name is Juan! And, This is My Friend I Think I Might Call Kate!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hello, My Name is Juan, and this is My Friend I think I Might Call Kate!

Tropical Storm Juan has formed near Bermuda, and Tropical Depression 16 is in the Atlantic. Neither are considered a threat to the Caribbean or the Dominican Republic.

Links to the latest information are here in the Hurricane Watch forum.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tom, glad you made clear that neither are expected to be more than names on the list of hurricanes for us.

May all tropical depressions, storms and hurricanes remain in the far-off Atlantic for the rest of the season.

Isabel and the earth quake is enough excitement for this year.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Amen to That!

That's my mission here in this forum. To ease the tension, not add to it, through accurate and timely information. Kudos to Robert and Dolores.

Having said that, take the current information on TD16 with a large grain of salt. It is apparently well south (5-10 degrees) of the official position estimate, and the guidance is completely unreliable at this point. If it is that far south it will take a westward track and not recurve immediately plus be in a more favorable development environment and warmer water.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
The name of the thread 'Hello my name is Juan...' is a private joke here at Xanadu. After I first moved here three years ago a motoconcho driver I had met liked to visit with us. Whenever he called, all he would say in English was 'Hello! My name is Juan!' and we'd say, 'Yes, Juan, what's up?' and he'd reply again with 'Hello! My name is Juan!'. No matter what was said, he just repeated 'Hello! My name is Juan!' but even more insistently. I am so glad I speak Spanish now. :: smile ::

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tropical Depression 16 has become Tropical Storm Kate. It is moving north-northwestward in the central Atlantic with winds of 40 mph and gusts to 50 mph.

Hurricane Juan continues on a trek northward toward our DR1 members in Canada. Latest forecasts show it heading for the border area between Maine and Newfoundland.

Neither of these systems are a threat to the Dominican Republic.

Tom (aka XR)

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Juan

Hi everyone!

So, we NS'ers had our first taste of a hurricane (at least it was for me!). Hurricane Juan hit us Sunday night - it was classed as a category 1 and that's more then enough for me! I'll take my massive snowstorms anyday thank you very much! Man...the trees it uprooted here is just unbelievable.

It certainly gave me new appreciation for what you guys speak about when you talk about the hurricanes etc and what you do to ready yourself for them. We did not do much here to ready ourselves and thankfully there were not many casualties - two deaths reports so far and minimal of fires.

Yup.....love the warmth....but can do without hurricanes! ;)

Take care

Trish

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi, Trish. Glad you got through the storm ok. Now you can enter into the future discussions regarding hurricanes as a veteran.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Well XR, here's to you and Juan.

Just got my power back earlier today after sixty hours without it and my business partner is still waiting for his to return. Two trees down in my back yard (in Dartmouth) but that is nothing compared to areas of Halifax. There are currently 800 Canadian Army soldiers and all the municipal resources cleaning up and it will take weeks and weeks. Parts of Halifax look like war zones. It is truly sureal. But I did crack open a jug of Brugal Extra Viejo to celebrate that even though we are a bit bloodied - we are not down for the count.

Glad to hear you are OK Trish. Heard there was lots of flooding in the Truro area. Here it was mostly a wind event (Max. 146 km/hr. from the south) but very, very destructive. I was here for Beth in 1971 and it was mostly a rain event - lots of flooding.

A small sampling of the effects can be seen at http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jag/Hurricane_Pictures/

Keep well.

Gregg

Edited to add.

The 146 km/hr figure came from the Halifax International Airport but now there are reports of a remote monitoring station on George's Island in Halifax Harbour that place the wind velocity in that location at Cat 2 levels of 151 mi/hr. No wonder there was such destruction. Don't care to ever meet Juan's big brothers or sisters. Kate is still wandering in the Atlantic and isn't out of the picture - yet.

Last edited:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
we're relieved to hear you escaped relatively unscathed. your pics were fascinating, especially to see what was damaged and what remained untouched. i haven't been able to reach my brother so we don't know what shape his place is in.

regards, mob.