White water rafting

Robbo

Sep 23, 2003
Any ideas where best to go with 2 teenage boys and close to Puerto Plata?

Only in DR for a week so could do with advice on any other good activities to get involved in.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For white water rafting, you need to go to Jarabacoa. Check with the tour operators at your hotel; they should be offering an excursion.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The whitewater rafting in Jarabacoa is run by Rancho Baiguate, and you can click on their ad on the main forum page for info. I have been on this trip on the North Yaqui. While a bit tame for veteran whitewater rafters, it is still fun and the scenery beautiful, so I would recommend it if you can take a day to go down to Jarabacoa to do it. Actually, I personally would spend more than a day in Jarabacoa and its surroundings -- I love the place and its people. If you like the outdoors and outdoor sports and a less touristy atmosphere, Jarabacoa is the place.
Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Robbo said:
Any ideas where best to go with 2 teenage boys and close to Puerto Plata?

Only in DR for a week so could do with advice on any other good activities to get involved in.

Thanks

As usual, there are gringo prices and local prices, depending who you ask.

My Dominican secretary phoned Rancho Baiguate (574-6890) directly yesterday and was quoted the price of RD$1,085, which includes breakfast, river rafting and lunch. Transportation from and to your hotel not included.

Metro Tours sometimes runs tours leaving from Santo Domingo and they charge RD$1,600 (accordingly to their ad in El Caribe newspaper yesterday ) and that includeds round-trip bus transportation.

If you book indirectly through your resort staff, you are likely to pay US$80-100 per head. I found out because I spoke to a Brit (a vast majority of tourists visiting Jarabacoa seems to be British !) on my bus last time I was there and he told me he paid US$90 !

Enjoy your trip !

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Two other great adventures for you to experience are:

1) Canyoning, 40 minutes from Cabarete. Trip lasts a couple of hours with several rappels, 10-36 ft jumps, swimming through crystal clear water, and more!

2) horseback riding up a mountain, and coming back down the river in inner tubes.

I will try and get numbers for you but I usually send clients of our hotel and school to carolyn@ambercoastadventures.com.

marina
kitexcite.com

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I whitewater kayaked the Yaque del Norte last Christmas with Franz's Aventuras del Caribe, owned by Franz Lang. They have whitewater rafting just about everyday. It's a good and reputable company to deal with. They will pick you up at your hotel, serve breakfast, run the river, and lunch and a beer after for $55US (and that's gringos price direct if you don't go through the hotel). If you go through the hotel, they'll add their share of the pie.

I would highly recommend this activity, although it's not the greatest whitewater rafting you'll experience, the scenery is awesome and the drive there is interesting. There's a very high rock for cliff jumping in the river, highly recommend to do it.

Here's the info;

Franz Lang 809-574-2669
franz.lang@codetel.net.do
www.dr-canyon.com interesting pictures.

Good luck and make sure you do it.

ecarignan